Stick to what I'm doing? Or do more cardio? Advice needed pl

Options
I need some advice. My body fat right now is at about 23%. I'd like to get to to 18%. Im 5'3 and weigh 126 pounds. i lift for half an hour, and do half an hour of cardio every day, 5 days a week. I'm trying to get my body fat down so the results of my lifting are a little more visible. Ideally I want to be tight and toned with some definition (but not too much). I'm thinking of doing my regular routine only three days a week and then doing an hour of cardio the other two days to help cut down. Do you think that will get the fat off faster or should I stick to what Im doing? I've talked to a few of my friends who are trainers and they are saying I should reduce my cardio and lift more but I don't want to appear larger due to having muscle being built under a layer of fat. I would rather lose the fat first. What do you guys think?

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I honestly agree with your trainer. Also you didn't mention your diet and your diary isn't open but fat loss is 80% diet, 10% exercise and 10% genetics. How is your diet? And what are your calorie goals?
  • Marmalina
    Options
    Oh sorry I guess I should have mentioned that! My diet is clean. I eat every 2-3 hours. 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. MFP has me on 1270 calls a day, but i usually eat around 1700 ( i eat back almost all of my exersise cals). I have one cheat meal a week.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry I guess I should have mentioned that! My diet is clean. I eat every 2-3 hours. 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. MFP has me on 1270 calls a day, but i usually eat around 1700 ( i eat back almost all of my exersise cals). I have one cheat meal a week.

Great! Just what I wanted to hear lol I don't think it would hurt to try your trainer's suggestion for at least a month. I think you'd be surprised at the results. It wasn't until I incorporated heavy weight lifting with my clean diet and cardio that I started seeing the results I wanted! Good luck!
  • Marmalina
    Options
    So how much cardio do you think I should do ? My trainer suggested 30 min twice a week, but that seems a little low, no?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I would definitely focus more on weights. It wont make you bulk up- im living proof. I got down 60 pounds and couldnt make anything budge anymore- then I switched to weights finally- lost another thirty and 9% body fat and my arms are soooooooooooooo sleek and amazing and toned and TINY now :D:D:D:D
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It takes 2 weeks for you to notice and 4 for everyone else to notice ....If you're past that time and have CONSISTENTLY (be honest) kept your routine and diet it's probably your body getting used to what you're doing. Switch things up like switch the type of cardio and the workout routine. Lifting will not make you big (sorry I just hate when people say that) unless you want to get big (its not easy...I'm trying to build a butt) but it DOES HELP YOU BURN FAT FASTER
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Marmalina wrote: »
    i lift for half an hour, and do half an hour of cardio every day, 5 days a week.

30 minutes of CV work is barely warming up. You'll benefit from increasing the amount of resistance training that you're doing.

Use some form of structured resistance programme.

Given that you're not doing much cardio work at all, I wouldn't recommend reducing it much.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    18% BF for a woman is "athlete" territory. It is quite possible you're going to have to work a lot harder than 60 minutes to get to where you want to be. And it goes without saying you will likely need to have your diet dialed in to an excruciatingly detailed level.
  • saruuhm
    saruuhm Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was on the same page as you girl!

Honestly, I don't do more than 15 minutes of cardio unless it's a random day where I have feel like doing more. Im still leaning out. I would maybe try supersetting/drop setting your workouts that always helps me sweat and work so much harder! I wouldn't decrease your lifting time for more cardio. Try doing like high intensity cardio at the end of your workouts if anything even just 5 minutes! Just keep working hard and you'll get it girl :) your macros are on point for your goals! Goodluck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    More cardio is not your answer. A better lifting program and stricter eating is
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, and while upping weights is a really good idea, increasing cardio may work too. That's what works for me, but I mostly do cardio for the endorphins and the joy of it, and also because my body likes it. I also lift and do yoga, but my true love is cardio. The more I do, the smaller I get. I would recommend doing something that you enjoy first and foremost.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Marmalina wrote: »
    So how much cardio do you think I should do ? My trainer suggested 30 min twice a week, but that seems a little low, no?

For your goals? I would think 60min a day, minimum, strength training and cardio.