Is not being sore bad? Weight lifting question...

Options
I have just started strength training. Right now I am just doing all of the weight machines at the YMCA, Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I am doing 2 sets of 12 reps with the weights as heavy as I can and still be able to get both sets done. Though sometimes I only can manage 10 reps the second set. Anyway I am not really sore the next day. I mean I guess I feel a tiny bit but nothing to complain about. In the past when I did work out videos (with no weights) I felt like I was going to die the next week. Like I got hit by a bus. I always assumed that meant it was a good workout. So does that mean my strength training isn't doing enough? I MUCH prefer strength training and I know it is something I will stick with unlike cardio and work out videos which I hate with a passion and always quit soon after starting. I am still doing some cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays, just walking for 30min.

I do plan to start free weights at some point, but right now I am just not comfortable enough in the gym to do that. I just want to make sure that I am not wasting my time. Thanks for any ideas!

Replies

• fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    your wasting your time with machines, use free weights.. you loose SOO much with machines.. you lose all the stability muscles.. use free weights you will feel it.. also try doing more sets.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,472 Member
    Options
    Machines force you to move in an exact path of motion, which works the muscles in question and the joints. What is not worked are the tiny stabilizer muscles on either side of the main muscles. By using free weights, those stabilizer muscles will get worked in addition to the primary muscles, which will increase the degree of soreness.

That said, being sore is NOT the only indicator of a good workout. I have been lifting for over five years now, and most of the time I'm not sore after a workout. But I know it's working for me.

Use indicators such as: is the motion becoming easier? Are you getting stronger? Is your range of motion increased, can you do non-exercises things easier? After all, we're not exercising for the sake of getting better at exercising. We exercise so our non-gym life gets better -- stairs are easier, lifting laundry baskets is easier, pain is reduced, etc.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Well I am really new to this. Yesterday was only my 5th day, so I would assume too early to really notice much. I have lost a few pounds and about 10" overall so I guess it is working. Some of the machines I have been able to go up in weight while one or two others I have had to go down a little because I am unable to get to 12 on the second set at the weight I had originally started at. I read that can be common though.

I am just not comfortable yet going to free weights. It is only men that use them, any time I have ever been there I have never once seen a woman. Also I am very overweight and out of shape and simply not comfortable in that area of the gym. I am also extremely shy when it comes to talking to new people and am not someone who would ever ask for help. So I would not have any idea what I am doing there and couldn't have anyone spot me or help in any way.

Anyway, thank you for your response. :)
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Soreness is not an indicator of a good work out. If I were you though I would try to find a program that was designed by a professional. It is fine if you want to start with the machines so that you get your muscles accustomed to working and pushing weights again, and just getting your confidence up with going back to the gym.

Try looking into the book The New Rules of Lifting for women. It will put you on the right path.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First off, you’re not wasting your time. If you feel like you can take the volume, consider lowering the reps to 8 and doing three sets instead of two. This should allow you to increase the weight a bit as well.

Make sure you’re going through the full range of motion and that you’re not shifting your position during the lift to get special leverage on the machine. You should really concentrate on the muscle that is being addressed and squeeze through the contraction. For example, if you’re doing the chest press, concentrate on your chest and squeeze the chest muscles at the top of the press. This muscle/mind connection will help you when you move to free weights and have a few more things going on.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

I am just not comfortable yet going to free weights. It is only men that use them, any time I have ever been there I have never once seen a woman. Also I am very overweight and out of shape and simply not comfortable in that area of the gym. I am also extremely shy when it comes to talking to new people and am not someone who would ever ask for help. So I would not have any idea what I am doing there and couldn't have anyone spot me or help in any way.

You belong there just as much as any of them. We all went into a gym for the first time and didn’t know what to do. When you think you’re ready to graduate from the machines (because you will get much more out of the time spent doing free weights), consider hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions to teach you the exercises and help you organize a program.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Machines force you to move in an exact path of motion, which works the muscles in question and the joints. What is not worked are the tiny stabilizer muscles on either side of the main muscles. By using free weights, those stabilizer muscles will get worked in addition to the primary muscles, which will increase the degree of soreness.

That said, being sore is NOT the only indicator of a good workout. I have been lifting for over five years now, and most of the time I'm not sore after a workout. But I know it's working for me.

Use indicators such as: is the motion becoming easier? Are you getting stronger? Is your range of motion increased, can you do non-exercises things easier? After all, we're not exercising for the sake of getting better at exercising. We exercise so our non-gym life gets better -- stairs are easier, lifting laundry baskets is easier, pain is reduced, etc.

Just wanted to say this was very informative for me! I do free weights at home and sometimes wonder if a gym's machines would be better... but I can't really afford it, time wise nor money wise. So reading your words made me happy, cuz at least this way I know I'm working my stabilizer muscles."It's something" lol. So thanks :o)

P.S. And in my case, stairs ARE becoming easy and I have much more energy in general. Tis great.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You could always get dumbbells or barbells for at home. I've got a few of mine from second hand stores for super cheap. Then find a video or program and do it in the comfort of your own home :)
  • saruuhm
    saruuhm Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I find when I lift heavy like 5 sets of 3-8 reps, I'm not really super sore the next day. But when I do lighter weight 5 sets of 10-15 I'm super sore.

Maybe your body is just starting to adjust to the workouts you've been doing, it's hard to say because I don't know what machines you're working on!

I still get great workouts using machines so you don't need to stop using them! And when I first started I was 30 pounds heavier and was scared to go over to "the guy side". Once you feel comfortable, you'll be able to use the free weights! Everyone starts somewhere :)
    Maybe try drop setting your weight after your set, doing super sets, increasing your weight or doing a "pyramid" method where you go as many reps as you can with a heavy weight, medium weight than light weight so like 5 reps of your max, drop set to 10 reps next weight, 15 light weight, I hope that makes sense!