Weekends.. Easy or difficult to stay on track?

Options
Do you find weekends easier or more difficult to maintain good eating habits? For me its definitely more difficult. The word weekend, itself, associates with the idea of taking a break, relaxing... you know? And in the past, the meant giving myself permission to take a break from making good choices and eat whatever the heck I wanted. But who am I kidding?! I often ate whatever I wanted during the week, too. lol So.. do you find it easy or difficult to stay on track during the weekend?

Replies

• laughingbear951
    Options
    Oh dude I was doing pretty good but this morning my whole schedule got thrown off by some work that came up and I slipped up and got fast food =( I checked out the calories after the fact and it was all bad. I think weekends are gonna be more difficult because so much happens out of the routine. I'm currently considering setting up a backup plan for my meals.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    My weekends are a way of indulging while maintaining my own good habits. My weekend is a way to even the whole week off, and have the best of both worlds. There are ways to have a break without it having to be about eating treats or overindulging, and potentially making yourself feel bad about decisions you've made re: meal choices. I will usually eat something on a Friday night or Saturday, that I wouldn't typically eat on a weekday. It helps me satisfy that craving while planning for it.

But I also like to fast on a Sunday, and I look forward to that as much as having that treat. It's my day to myself, to pretend I am at the spa taking care of myself in a gentle way, and part of that for me is to abstain from eating, and just drink coffee or tea, lots of water and probably a couple of cups of bone broth. I feel recharged by the next day when I am back at my regular schedule again. And usually I will lose more weight on a weekend than a weekday, so I look forward to cutting back more than making bad food choices. I find that I don't want to make bad choices nearly as often as I did before. So I guess I'd say that I find it easier to stay on track on the weekend, mainly because I am comfortable with the decisions I make. I may be odd, but I really look forward to giving myself permission not to eat !
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mom4tav wrote: »
    Do you find weekends easier or more difficult to maintain good eating habits? For me its definitely more difficult. The word weekend, itself, associates with the idea of taking a break, relaxing... you know? And in the past, the meant giving myself permission to take a break from making good choices and eat whatever the heck I wanted. But who am I kidding?! I often ate whatever I wanted during the week, too. lol So.. do you find it easy or difficult to stay on track during the weekend?

I do my long run on a weekend so I have plenty of calories to work with!
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I find it easier. I'm at home so no temptation to buy junk food (there is none in the house), I can eat whenever I'm hungry so I don't end up binging and I have time to prepare proper food rather than snacking on something quick. Plus there's more time to get some exercise in :)
  • therooster5
    therooster5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Weekends are so much harder for me. During the week I plan out my meals 100% the day before, so there is no way I can mess up unless I cheat. On a weekend I might have a bigger breakfast since I have more time in the morning. And by the time dinner comes around I realize I'm starving and only have 250 calories left. It sucks.
  • mom4tav
    mom4tav Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat, I like what you said about giving yourself permission to eat.. I'm finding that to be what's best for me, as well.. Thanks everyone for your responses! ;)
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Weekends are my downfall! I'm 22 so all my friends and boyfriend wanna go out and drink and I join and suddenly I find myself 3,000 extra calories deep in alcohol and bar food! I'd love to be friends with any of y'all who also struggle with weekends so we can support each other! Or, if you succeed on the weekends, I'd love to be friends with you too, teach me your ways! :)
  • Dragonflize
    Dragonflize Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Weekends are hard for me too,,But if I allow myself to eat a few goodies in moderation ,,,and track them I do ok.
  • melissagail_82
    Options
    Weekends are easier for me....I work in a school cafeteria..do the constant food prep makes the work week much harder!
  • erryana
    erryana Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Weekend is hard for me because it's friends/family time. Glorious food all through the weekend! Sometimes i blew up with my food proportion and sometimes i slap my hand from getting that extra bacons
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    A bit of both. I tend to eat a lot less in the day on a weekend, by skipping a meal or two, but usually have a more indulgent supper with an extra glass of wine. Ironically, I'm a bit slower to work out, however, I ALWAYS do something. I will make and effort to add on 20-30 hard cardio or intervals if heading to a restaurant so I can be relaxed when I splurge. I really rely on the CICO notion.
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Weekends are WAY easier for me. I have an unpredictable, erratic work schedule a commute from hell and I am legitimately lucky if I have more than 30 minutes a day that doesn't involve work, commuting to/from work, or getting ready for work. During the week, my workout plans are constantly thwarted because things come up at the office, and I am not able to eat on a regular schedule. I pack my own food and eat healthy stuff, but finding the time to exercise has been a real challenge. Even when I work from home my job ruins my plans! I'll be just about to sign off for the day and then get word that I have to stay on later than expected to finish a project. I've completely given up any hope of having a regular weekday workout schedule, so I just try to do what I can here and there, even if it means walking up and down the stairs in my apartment complex a few times while I'm waiting for a response to an email. On the weekends, I am free to work out for as long as I want (and without having to worry about looking presentable when I go back to the office), I'm not sitting on my butt at a desk or in hideous traffic, and I can take the time to slowly enjoy a good meal without having to rush through it or be interrupted by someone's font color crisis.
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Weekends are so hard for me! I try to do good, but usually end up induging way too much. I still track ALL of the calories I eat so I make myself face the horrible reality of what I ate. Hah!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I have lighter weeks to make up for the fact that I like to eat with family and friends over the weekend. Overall it evens out.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its the same, just another day to hit a calorie deficit and get some exercise. Its not allowed to throw me off course. My rest day often falls on a weekend so its different in that respect. Bit dull I know.
  • slgraha
    slgraha Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Weekends are worse for me. Busy family life has us running the roads most weekends and/or spending all day on the ball field. Those busy days usually lead to eating out. I try to make the best selection possible but I get tired of salads, so I opt for kiddie meals. Replace the fries with the fruit and replace the drink with water. Not too bad on calories.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It is just easier for me to stick to a schedule during the week. Get up early, drink water, make breakfast, grab lunch from the freezer, drink about 6 glasses of water during the day at work, leave and cook dinner, last water, bed. BUT I sleep in on the weekends so may only eat a couple meals per day, and I don't drink as much water as I should.
  • Jburlen2007
    Jburlen2007 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Weekends are much harder for me. I love myself some sports, pizza and Budweiser. Not a good combination on Sundays :/
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Weekends have been my downfall for the past 9 months. Weekdays allow me some level of structure, although the occasional lunch meeting catered doesn't help, but I get through it with smaller portions.

By the time the weekend is here, I'm spent mentally and enjoy a few adult beverages. I try to get to the gym during the weekends more, so that I can store up some extra calories, but lately, that hasn't been happening and I'm drinking more than I should.

Life sometimes throws crap in your direction and you go with it, but this is a slow life long undertaking and I refuse to deprive myself and start that brutal cycle again, so I figure if I'm making the right choices 5 of the 7 days, and on those 2 days, it's just about drinking a few extra calories, so be it. Do I want to do better? Hell yes, if I could get the weekly stress out of my life, that would make this undertaking so much easier. But until that happens Cheers, and yes I'll have another one, thank you!