Calories, Morbidly Obese & Breastfeeding.

Options
MFP says I should eat 1650 cals.
I feel I should eat 1200 cals.
Should I go with MFP and leave it at that or add on extra calories for breastfeeding too. I don't eat my workout calories back exept for today with cookies.

I started at 340-355ish right after childbirth and I'm currently 286.8. I want to try and pick it up a notch. I had my baby 6 months ago and I feel like it's been a slow process.

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Why do you "feel" you should eat 1200?
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Go with MFP. 1200 is too low..especially for a nursing mother.

It should be a slow and steady process. You didn't gain overnight. You shouldn't expect to lose quickly.
  • MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Why do you "feel" you should eat 1200?

I think I just have that number set into my brain.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to eat 1200?

I'd eat your MFP goals plus at least a bit more for breastfeeding. The amount extra will depend on whether your baby is eating any solds and/or supplementing with solids.

At 286 lbs. I see no point in eating only 1200 calories. Don't try to rush the process by cutting your calories super low. Eat as much as you can while still losing at a reasonable rate. 53.2-68.2 lbs. in 6 months is not slow at all. Accept that this is going to take you a good amount of time (my guess is 2+ more years), settle in, and stay the course.
  • MizzMaamI1
    Options
    Should my net cals always be around 1600, or is it fine if some days it's around 700-900?
  • MizzMaamI1
    Options
    And for macros, do you fit macros into your daily calories?
  • kimsko2010
    kimsko2010 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think if you only eat 1200 you will start feeling deprived and then you may go way beyond your daily allowance. At least I would. And I personally believe that eating under 1200 calories a day, especially as low as 700 or 900, is very unhealthy and will cause health problems.
  • justjack18
    justjack18 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You need an extra 500 calories per day to breastfeed so I would eat at least 1700 to maintain supply maybe more. I know I lost my supply because I wasn't eating enough.
  • jemhh
    Options
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »
    Should my net cals always be around 1600, or is it fine if some days it's around 700-900?

If your MFP goal is 1650 and you are adding calories for breastfeeding, your net should never be that low. If you add just 200 calories for breastfeeding, your goal becomes 1850. To net 700-900 you'd have to do 950-1150 calories worth of exercise. Not gonna happen.
  • tyyabradley2013
    Options
    Go with MFP. 1200 is too low..especially for a nursing mother.

It should be a slow and steady process. You didn't gain overnight. You shouldn't expect to lose quickly.

Yes since you're nursing 1200 is definitely too low
  • MizzMaamI1
    Options
    I have a couple days in a row at 1200 then I cave and eat 1600+.

I go to the gym everyday sometimes twice a day.
  • MizzMaamI1
    Options
    Like 1200 is in my head then I feel really guilty after I go over. I know I shouldn't but I don't know how to get over that thought process.

(I go over often lol)
  • MizzMaamI1
    Options
    Obviously or I wouldn't be fat. Ugh
  • MizzMaamI1
    Options
    Can someone look at my diary and give me feedback. Some are random entries but most of the time I weigh my food.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Your diary is locked. But i just wanted to say, that if you have that much weight to lose you should try and lose slowly and steadily.

I know you wont have control over how much excess skin you have once you get to your goal weight, but i think it's best to lose low and slow and CONSISTENTLY. I think you'll be happier with your results when you reach your goal and it'll be easier for you to maintain.

What's the point of losing all of the weight if you're going to have a huge amount of excess skin, and then you re-bound and gain it all back because you tried to deprive yourself?

Stick to what MFP recommends (it's already a high enough deficit for you) and then re-adjust as you get closer to your goals.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Your diary is closed so I can't give specific advice. But my guess is that my #1 comment would be to eat to your mfp goal and stop trying to speed up the process. You have disordered thinking related to diet and health. Counseling would probably be beneficial.
  • JenniferFreed
    Options
    Breastfeeding moms actually should add on an extra 500 calories a day unlike when your pregnant it's about an extra 300 calories.

Coming from a health coach stand point counting calories is very defeating task and can set yourself up for feeling like a failure.

1200 calories is a very low amount. Anyone really shouldn't go under 1200 calories unless medically advised.

I good way to look at the things you eat are from a standpoint of processed (amount of ingredients and commercials) verse fresh or homemade... Are foods protein and fat rich or high carb. Good goals are less than 60 grams of carb and not looking at the amount of calories you intake. 60 grams or less carbs can actually be a pretty difficult task as well, so I have also been advised by another coach that a good goal is between 60-75 carbs a day. Allow yourself a cheat day once a week. Take baby steps, changing one thing at a time.

If you're hungry, eat but eat something high in fat and protein, not sugar or carbs. Our bodies do need some carbs but not as many as what is suggested on the food pyrimads. Our bodies also need more fat than what is suggested but healthy fats omega-3, mono-unsaturated, and yes even saturated... (We are animals) and lots and lots of water.

Comes down to 80% nutrition 20% fitness... Don't give up! You are doing great. There are ups and downs but look at the progress you have made so far. Hope this is helpful.
  • JenniferFreed
    Options
    I just saw that you go to the gym everyday also. You calorie intake should be between 1500-1700 depending on your metabolism put adding calories for nursing.
  • JenniferFreed
    Options
    You can look into my diary if you like. No I'm not perfect but look at the days were my carb intake is 75 grams of carbs or less.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    How are things outside of dieting and working out? Are you in a moms group? What are you doing to take care of yourself (that isn't food related)?