Meal Prep Help

Options
on my journey I've learned the importance of meal prep & was successful @ it once (sigh) but I just can't seem to keep it up, any pointers on how to stay consistent with prepping meals?!?!?

Replies

• saruuhm
    saruuhm Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I log my meals/snacks the day before, and pack up all the food and put it in a lunch bag with a few exceptions like my eggs and stuff. That why I can look at myfitnesspal and know what I'm eating that day!
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I also pre-log my lunches and snacks during the work week. Typically breakfast as well and I also pack out all up the night before. I usually meal plan on Saturdays for the following week so I have a rough idea of what I'm having day to day
  • myameenj
    myameenj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, may I ask if u are eating the same meals day to day or do u switch it up?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have learned to prep for about 3 days or less. It keeps things fresher and yummier. It also doesn't take up my entire one day off a week.
  • saruuhm
    saruuhm Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    myameenj wrote: »
    Thank you both, may I ask if u are eating the same meals day to day or do u switch it up?

It depends honestly! If I make overnight oats, I'll prep them for 3 days. I don't really eat a wide variety of foods so my days are very similar. I've heard it's really good to eat the same meals and at the same time every day but that's too much for me!
  • mrsarnold32
    mrsarnold32 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm with Lizzy622, I prep for a few days at a time. I found that trying to do it for the whole week took up too much of my days off. So I do 3-4 days at a time.

To answer your question, I switch up my meals. But I buy ingredients that are the same for a few meals. That way I get a different meal but can save on groceries.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    While your making your dinner make your lunch put it in fridge, grab in the morning on the way out the door.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I make about 2-6 dishes every weekend, depending on how much I feel like cooking. I portion those into containers, label, and freeze. I probably have 20 different varieties of freezer meals on hand at all times.
  • hnm921
    hnm921 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I log my meals/snacks the day before, and pack up all the food and put it in a lunch bag with a few exceptions like my eggs and stuff. That why I can look at myfitnesspal and know what I'm eating that day!

Same here..for the most part, I add my whole day the night before. When I'm cleaning up the kitchen after dinner, I will then weigh out my food and pack it all up so it's ready to grab and go in the morning. I used to prep for a whole week on the weekend, but for me it's been easier just doing it the night before. I don't really have much variety in what I eat for breakfast, lunch and snacks.
  • Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes just cooking up large amounts for 2-3 days and putting it in serving sizes in plastic containers works best for me. Also if you're in a pinch for time just make a protein shake or even have a few protein shakes pre made in the fridge. I use sunwarrior protein powder one of the cleanest brands I've find. Take almonds or desired nuts and put them in serving sizes in little bags, put them in your car or at your house. It is hard work to eat healthy if you're making every meal, but try to get in a routine where it's not stressful to you. Realistically if you eat breakfast at home and dinner at home, then you're only prepping for 1-2 meals :) Also freeze meals for dinner so when you come home you can cook it fast without feeling dead tired after work and getting the closest thing in your kitchen possible.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I love to make a fritatta at the beginning of the week that I can portion out so on busy morning I can just reach into my fridge, grad a slice & pop it in the microwave. Yesterday I made a smoke salmon & kale frittata. I used egg whites, light soy milk, trader joes smoke salmon & sauted chopped kale and onions. Portioned it out into 4 servings, each with only 110 calories.

I also plan out my day the night before so I know exactly what my game plan is for the upcoming day and what I need to pack for lunch in the morning or take out of the freezer to thaw for dinner.

Feel free to add me, or just take a look at my diary.

• alone_aqua
    alone_aqua Posts: 28 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As for pre-logging. Pre-logging anything has always been my downfall from exercise to snacks to meals. However, not prepping is as well. I do all of my grocery shopping for the week in one day, and that same day cook 6-7 days worth of food. For me it’s simple, however I’m not making immaculate paleo recipes daily- it’s more like (1) buncha eggs (2) buncha chicken (3) buncha steak (4) fruits, supplements and I’m done lol. Still takes about two hours. But I find that pre-logging doesn’t set me straight so much as it sets me up – not accounting for the company surprise lunch, or friend’s birthday, or whoops forgot my food at home, or got sick days- you know, life’s everyday occurrences. That being said, I strongly recommend using one day (one slot of time) to do your prep for the entire week. If only because finding time each day can become a hassle. Think about your budget, and your body – only you have control over what goes in. Good luck!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    scperry8 wrote: »
    As for pre-logging. Pre-logging anything has always been my downfall from exercise to snacks to meals. However, not prepping is as well. I do all of my grocery shopping for the week in one day, and that same day cook 6-7 days worth of food. For me it’s simple, however I’m not making immaculate paleo recipes daily- it’s more like (1) buncha eggs (2) buncha chicken (3) buncha steak (4) fruits, supplements and I’m done lol. Still takes about two hours. But I find that pre-logging doesn’t set me straight so much as it sets me up – not accounting for the company surprise lunch, or friend’s birthday, or whoops forgot my food at home, or got sick days- you know, life’s everyday occurrences. That being said, I strongly recommend using one day (one slot of time) to do your prep for the entire week. If only because finding time each day can become a hassle. Think about your budget, and your body – only you have control over what goes in. Good luck!

Hahaha! Not to derail the thread, but this is funny! These are the same types of "accurate" measurements I use, too.
  • myameenj
    myameenj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really want to thank u ALL for ur ideas & help. This journey is really tough, but necessary!

All that u have shared helps me mentally & I'm going to attempt some of the methods.

I will let u all know what worked best for me.