need help gaining weight

Options
I am 6'8 and weigh 170 lbs. All my life I have been underweight,I do not eat a lot cause I do not really get hungry,I want to gain weight to be at my healthy BMI but I do not know what to do ,eating 2700 calories a day is quite a lot for me and I do not think I can eat this in food,any suggestions about protein shakes or pills?

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes and pills aren't going to help you. Find some caloric dense food that you really like and eat a lot of it. Soda, ice cream, pasta, peanut butter, nuts, beer, steak, chicken wings, pizza. It doesn't matter what you eat as long as you get enough calories.
  • heyitstahiraa
    heyitstahiraa Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just ordered and recieved this appetite stimulant syrup called apetamin , you should look into it.
  • lilyhissong
    Options
    I have found protein shakes to help a lot. But don't use it as a food replacement meal but as an addition to meals or as a snack between meals. I had a similar problem before, never being hungry so rarely eating. The trick here is to regulate your meals and snacks, for example: eat breakfast every day around the same time, 3 hours later eat a snack, eat lunch, 3 hours later eat a snack, eat dinner, 3 hours later or whenever eat a snack. At first it's hard bc you don't have an appetite but as your body becomes accustomed it will happen naturally. Also setting reminders in your calendar/phone helps.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm striving for 3500 calories a day (rarely getting there). However, without the weight gainer shakes, I wouldn't even be close. I usually have one first thing in the morning (I rarely have a big appetite for breakfast, so this is a good way to get a good amount of calories in early). I also usually have one after working out and/or prior to bed. Each week for the last three weeks, I have been able to raise calories by 150-250. Keep at it and it will get easier.
  • theanz10
    theanz10 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am 5'3' and weigh 114 pounds.I have been skinny throughout my life.I gained a few pounds after taking alcohol.Should I continue with it?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    theanz10 wrote: »
    I gained a few pounds after taking alcohol.Should I continue with it?

Not sure what to say really. I'm not sure if this is a troll, sorry to be a bit blunt.

If you're taking alcohol to gain weight, and your getting excessively drunk, it's probably not the best idea.
  • WearyWatermelon
    Options
    I started out in a similar position as you. I'm 6'0 and 130 lbs. About 3 weeks ago I decided I wanted to get to a healthy weight. The first week was brutal and I would feel sick without even getting to 2000 calories but now I can eat 2500 and still want a snack before bed.
    I would suggest not trying to start eating 2700 right away, just make sure to eat at least 3 big meals each day.
    I never tried pills but sometimes I make a protein shake with milk, peanut butter and nuttella to get an extra boost of calories.

As others said it gets easier. Just stick with it and good luck!