Running Advice

Options
Mummatobe24
Mummatobe24 Posts: 27 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi Everybody,

I've just completed the T25 Program and have started taking up running..I have entered for a 5k in June and have set a goal to do it in under 30 minutes which looks very possible with how much my run time has improved my second run! Q1: After running I feel very sore on my sides and my legs as if I have done a million squats. What can I do to help this or is this just part of it? Q2: I still have a lot of weight to lose and find that eating 1400 calories a day is not enough I feel like I am starving and need to eat more at dinner or lunch. I am trying to put a lot of protein in my diet to help this. Should I continue running for weight loss after my 5k as I haven't seen alot of success stories regarding running with weight loss? Thanks

Replies

• trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Keep running! As for your legs, make sure you warm up, and then cool down and stretch. Weight lifting while running can help strengthen your legs which could help with the soreness.
  • Mummatobe24
    Options
    Thank you I will make sure I stretch before and after, will i always feel so hungry though after i've run? or is this my body adapting to it? As I don't want to over eat but I feel my body needs it
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I imagine you are running to hard in training. For the best long term improvement run at the lowest possible intensity that gives the desired training effect. That puts less stress on your body and lets you run longer and more often.

For your easy day to day runs that target building aerobic capacity keep the intensity below around 75% max heart rate
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    sounds like bursitis to me and if it is you need to deal with that now. fortunately there are some simple exercises you can do to help with this. Google it and then try some as it can get much worse or can be easily solved. Various glute and side abductor exercises worked for me when I had that problem
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    sorry should say hip bursitis as it can hit various areas
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    I imagine you are running to hard in training. For the best long term improvement run at the lowest possible intensity that gives the desired training effect. That puts less stress on your body and lets you run longer and more often.

For your easy day to day runs that target building aerobic capacity keep the intensity below around 75% max heart rate

I agree with this. Once I felt comfortable with my running i.e. could easily complete 3-5 miles without stopping or feeling sore, I started looking at improving my speed.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    last year i started with a couch to 10k program - wasn't sore at all. this year i just started running arbitrary distances with walking breaks when out of breath, and gee whiz, i am sore and my ankles are acting up. thinking "i know what i am doing" had me over doing it... time to take a step back and start with a plan....
  • Mummatobe24
    Options
    Thank you all for your help and advice. Can anyone shed some light about if I am running 30 -40 minutes a day if it is okay to eat more?
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    IMO eating back half of the calories you've burned on your run wouldn't hurt your weight loss and would help with the hunger.
  • Elkroawolfan
    Options
    before you run do a 5 minute very slow jog or combine it with a walk, then do some running orientated exercises such A-skips, do something such as forward lunges but very slowly (helps balance and coordination as well as flexibility with the large muscles in the legs). If you push a little bit harder each time you run then your body will adapt.

Everyday do ankle flexibility exercises. flexibility is very important with running.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You need to feed your body when you're burning extra calories running. You'll still be a eating at an overall deficit to lose weight....especially if you don't eat back all of the calories you burn. You can use MFP or a simple calculator like the one on Runner's World to figure out how much you're burning...

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention shoes. Were you fit for the shoes you were running in by a running store? All sorts of different maladies can occur if you have the wrong shoes for your gait. Though side pain would be a different symptom than what people normally say they have....

I'd take a wade through the pinned topic at the top. And also think about joining the monthly running challenge thread. Lots of really nice people, all levels of runners and lots of great answers to questions....
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute — you started running 30-40 minutes without building up to it first? I'm not sure what is in T25, but unless it is mostly running, it's foolish to start running so much in one fell swoop.

Take a look at the Couch to 5K program. Running puts a lot of stress on your muscles, joints, and bones, so it's important to work up to continuous running gradually. If you start C25K now you should be at the end by the beginning of June.

As for calories: running burns some. Whether it helps with weight loss depends entirely on whether you eat more than you burn. Many people find that exercise suppresses the appetite in the short term but makes them hungrier a few hours later. If that's the case with you, you'd need to watch your intake later in the day.
  • jetsman32
    jetsman32 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Quick tip - DO NOT stretch before you run! Do a very slow warmup to get the blood flowing and stretch fully after your run. Pre-run stretching is never a good idea.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Pain on the sides of the thigh can be your IT band. Look up some stretches to do after running. Pain in the IT band can take a while to get over. You probably just started out running too much at once. I agree with bwogilvie--look up a couch to 5k program. And yes, running can allow you to eat a few more calories, just make sure you keep track.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    jetsman32 wrote: »
    Quick tip - DO NOT stretch before you run! Do a very slow warmup to get the blood flowing and stretch fully after your run. Pre-run stretching is never a good idea.

WHY ?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

WHY ?

not a good idea to stretch cold muscles. dynamic stretching like leg swings, jumping jacks, etc.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Options

WHY ?

not a good idea to stretch cold muscles. dynamic stretching like leg swings, jumping jacks, etc.
    Isn't dynamic stretching " stretching " ?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

WHY ?

yes, but no also... when people hear 'stretching' they think of the typical static stretches that are good to do at the end of a work out. pre-workout it's good to specify that it should be dynamic stretching, which is done to warm up muscles, and promote blood flow into the muscles and lube the joints with natural synovial fluid.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    From Web MD: "It's not proven to help prevent injury, curb muscle soreness after exercise, or improve your performance.

Static stretching before exercise can weaken performance, such as sprint speed, in studies. The most likely reason is that holding the stretch tires out your muscles."

http://www.m.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/how-to-stretch
  • Charliegottheruns
    Options

WHY ?

yes, but no also... when people hear 'stretching' they think of the typical static stretches that are good to do at the end of a work out. pre-workout it's good to specify that it should be dynamic stretching, which is done to warm up muscles, and promote blood flow into the muscles and lube the joints with natural synovial fluid.

There is some research that static stretching may decrease muscular strength, and impair performance. It is still developing, but it does suggest that it's limited to static stretching. It also suggest it is limited to explosive activities such as sprinting and power lifting. Both active and dynamic stretching are both still appropriate before physical activity in people without muscle imbalances. Furthermore SMR followed by Static stretching can be used to correct muscle imbalances and increase joint range of motion. A tip not to stretch before running is not a good tip. A good tip wood be, stretching should be performed in a progressive, systematic, process based on a assessment.