Help with Vitamin-B complex

Options
So I'll be taking Vitamin-B complex caplets starting this Monday and I was looking up the different options that GNC has. The only thing is, I'm not sure how much to take per day. They have 50mg, 100mg & I believe some higher ones as well. How much would be good for me?

A little bit on me, I'm 22yo/ 5'7/ 155lbs. I'm on a 35/45/20 diet. I work in demolition during the day, gym in the afternoon which includes weight training & slight cardio. Not sure if that matters but it might.

I appreciate any help or advice! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Are you taking it just because you want the alleged "energy metabolism" benefit or do you have a B-12 deficiency? I have a congenital Vitamin B deficiency but I'm able to maintain at the very low normal range in my blood work by taking one Super B Complex a day, with an occasional booster shot at my M.D. I use the Costco brand that has 100mg of B-12 along with the other B's, folic acid Vitamin C, etc.

You shouldn't intentionally take excessive doses of anything, but it is believed to be a water soluble vitamin that you just pee out the excess. Essentially, your body only uses what it needs and expels the rest. If you already have adequate B's in your system from your diet you can immediately tell because your urine will be a bright yellow, then get lighter in color as the day moves on and it's flushed from your system as you've consumed your water.

So I guess I'm confused why you would take a vitamin supplement you're just going to pee away if you already have adequate levels from your diet? In this instance more is not better, it's fairly neutral, but if you're really sold on trying it start with one 50mg tablet, and if you don't immediately have bright yellow pee up it to two the next day???

Good luck
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to say a complex B supplement does contain Niacin, which you absolutely can develop health issues from if you take it in excess, and can also give you some very undesirable side effects. You might Google those effects :)
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @Sandcastles61‌ I appreciate the reply. I decided to just get a multi-vitamin instead. Thank you!