HRM help?

Options
I really want the new polar a300, but I may just need a polar ft4. Anyone have the a300 or has done research on this?

Thanks.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What activities do you do?
    What data points do you want to track?

• kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I crossfit, walk, run, and whatever else I can sign myself up for. For data points I'm primarily concerned with heart rate and accurate calorie information, but I'd love to know running times, standard pace, etc.

I'm not sure what else I should be tracking, to be honest.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, for crossfit and most likely walking, an HRM wouldn't be all that accurate for calorie counts. I will say that I have the FT4 and it's been fine. Can't comment on the A300 though.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I am looking at the A400/300 as well. In my opinion, because they are essentially the same device in size and operation, with the 400 giving you more functions for an additional $60-70, I am leaning towards the 400. Polar does well to track vitals and data, and is as accurate as any device out there.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    HRM's are only somewhat accurate for steady state cardio. the more variables you can change the more accurate. I would say go with FT40 not the 4, as for it to be more accurate you will want to be able to change the Max HR and Vo2Max inputs. FT4 doesn't allow the later, maybe not even the former. the FT7 does allow the max HR, but not Vo2Max.

All that said, even with the best HRM will only be good for steady state cardio, even with changes to HR and Vo2Max.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    I am looking at the A400/300 as well. In my opinion, because they are essentially the same device in size and operation, with the 400 giving you more functions for an additional $60-70, I am leaning towards the 400. Polar does well to track vitals and data, and is as accurate as any device out there.

What's leaning me towards the a300 is my small wrist, and the m400 is bigger. I'm also really into the fact that you can change the bands, especially since I'm leaning towards white.

My concern now is really if I'll wear it enough to justify it when I'll be wearing more professional and classy watches to work when I'm facing customers (I'm in sales).
  • kbunn06
    kbunn06 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have an A300! It is fantastic. I've had an FT4 for the last 3 years that I loved. After having a baby a few months ago, my husband and I decided that I should stay home from work so I knew I would need some motivation to move. The A300 came out just in time. I tracks activity all day long. If you're sitting for too long, it buzzes and tells you "It's time to move." If you wear it while you sleep, it will track your sleep and let you know how many hours you slept total, as well as how many hours were restful sleep. It has really helped me see just how little activity I have been doing during the day, and how terribly I sleep at night. I honestly thought I moved way more than I do. Plus it gives you an activity goal so that's very motivational.

When you workout with the chest strap it will track your heart rate and calorie burn accurately as well. I was so used to that from the FT4 that i had to have something else that did that. Polar has the most accurate calorie burn information because of the chest strap heart rate monitor.

So basically, I HIGHLY recommend as it is a very motivational watch.
  • verdejt
    verdejt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Depending on your planned workouts you have a few choices from Polar. There is the Loop which is an activity tracker and sleep tracker and can be paired with a Polar H7 hrm to get true calorie burns. The A300 is above the loop as it has a few more functions and can also be paired with the H7. The M400 has even more functions plus it has built in gps to track your outdoor activities. Plus it has a built in fitness test to test you your Vo2max. All three are waterproof to about 60ft. All three intergrate to MFP. You can also go to http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ and look at his product reviews of all three. Dont worry about the look of your watch in the corporate world. Fitness watches are the new "status" symbol plus it can be a good ice breaker with customers to get them talking.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    verdejt wrote: »
    Depending on your planned workouts you have a few choices from Polar. There is the Loop which is an activity tracker and sleep tracker and can be paired with a Polar H7 hrm to get true calorie burns. The A300 is above the loop as it has a few more functions and can also be paired with the H7. The M400 has even more functions plus it has built in gps to track your outdoor activities. Plus it has a built in fitness test to test you your Vo2max. All three are waterproof to about 60ft. All three intergrate to MFP. You can also go to http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ and look at his product reviews of all three. Dont worry about the look of your watch in the corporate world. Fitness watches are the new "status" symbol plus it can be a good ice breaker with customers to get them talking.

NO commercial HRM on the market gives "true calorie burns."