Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Just wanted to get some opinions on good HRM's because I was planning on purchasing one today to get a more accurate count of calories burned. I have come across some with chest straps and ones without. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

Replies

• codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    You definitely have to get one with a chest strap (they are more accurate) I recommend the Polar FT4, it's great and it's got everything you ever want and more
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I bought a timex HRM w/ a chest strap on Amazon, it was like $40. The calorie count seems a bit high, but when I do the elliptical with it on it matches the machine. I think the one with chest straps is a bit more accurate since it is taking your heart rate. I have seen the ones where you place your two fingers on it from time to time to take the HR and that count is way high.
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    Polar FT4 for me :-)
  • scmusicbiz
    scmusicbiz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like the Adidas MiCoach Zone. It has a chest strap and a wristband with lights that show different colors to show you what zone you're working in. Very simple and easy to use. It's been discontinued, but it can still be found. I got mine on amazon.com.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar ft 7, I think the 4 are good also.Chest strap and ability to input weight,height info are important
  • Jamiemielke
    Jamiemielke Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have timex too. I love it, You want one with a chest strap for sure.

~Jamie

sw:252
    cw:208
    gw:160
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 Love it!!!!
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    if you are on a budget go to wal-mart. I got the Pro-Form TX-300 for about $45 there. It has the chest strap for continuous monitoring and for those of us who can't spend $75-$100 on a HRM it's a GREAT alternative.
  • wannabefit4life
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! :) I had a timex before and always had issues with getting the strap to register my hr- I've had NO issues with my polar.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have Sigma PC11 and love it. Comes with a chest strap. I would be wary of any that didnt!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    FT 4 ---love it--easy and can be used in the water.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and really Love it!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Definitely chest strap! I think anything by polar is really good; I haven't run into any duds yet!
  • Jessk63
    Jessk63 Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the input, i think the polar is the way to go, everyone i have spoken to says its the best and most reliable! Looks like I know what im buying today!!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    my vote is polar ft4- i love mine!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. I love it. It stores your last 10 workout sessions so you can track your progress. It allows you to enter in your weight, height, age,etc to be more accurate. It has a chest strap and I even use it in the pool. It is great and was under $70 on Amazon. I love it....it does everything I need it to...keeps your heart rate, shows your "zone", what % your heart is beating at, how long you were in the zone during an exercise session...I think its great!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT7.. It was recommended to me by my trainer and I can't wait to try it out.
    I would not recommend Timex.. the calorie count was way to high!
  • Jessk63
    Jessk63 Posts: 51
    Options
    Officially ordered by Polar FT4 online and got a great deal!!! so excited for it to come now!! Thanks everyone for your help!