Syncing fitbit and mapmyfitness, mapmyrun, mapmywalk

Hi,
Been using fitbit for several months now to motivate me to do 10,000 steps a day.

Now I've downloaded and been using mapmyfitness for my weight lifting/yoga/step aerobics, then using either mapmyrun or mapmywalk for those times when I walk/run.

Connecting and syncing with myfitnesspal. Mapmy* apps connect to the Exercise portion, but when I also sync fitbit, it takes aways the calories for that time period.

So should I be syncing both fitbit and the mapmy* apps at the same time? Otherwise how can I up my calories to eat, if
I want to, if fitbit just takes away the calories?

Anyone else perplexed with this? Thanks!

gaileee

Replies

• BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    I sync mapmyfitness and fitbit apps to MFP. Here's how it works - Fitbit gives you extra calories for walking motions including running and elliptical etc. Any exercise you sync to MFP will reduce your additional fitbit calories if you enter the time correctly and it overlaps with what fitbit was already giving you credit for. When you sync from mapmyfitness or any other app sync actually it will do the same thing. If it didn't you would be getting back double calories and for those of us who eat back their calories (I'm usually one of them!) :) that would be too many because the exercise would be counted twice. Hope that helps!
  • gaileee1
    gaileee1 Posts: 4 Member
    Yes that does help. Thank you. So I should connect from my mapmy* apps from that app, and the same with fitbit app?

Gaileee
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    That's what I do, I just have everything syncing everywhere and it seems to work out. It's nice because mapmyfitness gives you a fitbit summary as well. Nice to see those stats too. :)
  • HaraldurB
    HaraldurB Posts: 76 Member
    Just be careful because MapMyFitness seems to overestimate a bit the amount of calories burned.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    I had problems linking both MapMyWalk & mapmyfitness because somehow it was creating double posts (having both on my phone - log into One mapmy* in one logs you on to both). You really can just use one of them to record all.

That being said once i got fitbit, i use it to track my step exercise (walks, runs, step aerobics, Zumba) for MFP calorie adjustment . IMHO fit bit tracks that stuff really well. Yeah it sucks when bootcamp & yoga don't add much burn but i see that as just "extra".

I do record my stuff in mapmyfitness but with fitbit i haven't really found a need from dieting pov. Fitbit tracks most of exercises i do.
    I just really like seeing all my workouts listed in mapmy* and i have a milage monthly goal
    Good luck!
  • gaileee1
    gaileee1 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks y'all for all your replies!
    Gaileee

yogawithgaileee.blogspot.com
  • jczelyph
    jczelyph Posts: 1 Member
    Hey,

Did you ever resolve this? I use MFP as my main calorie checker (try not to go over my calories per day). Fitbit earns me some more. If I log a walk with MapMy*, that earns me more too? My question is:

If I do a walk that earns me 200 calories which MapMy imports into MFP, what about the activity that Fitbit registers? Is that also going to give me 200 calories for the same walk, or does it work itself out? I don't want to be getting double credit for my exercise?

So confused...!
  • jdb281
    jdb281 Posts: 7 Member
    Hey,

Did you ever resolve this? I use MFP as my main calorie checker (try not to go over my calories per day). Fitbit earns me some more. If I log a walk with MapMy*, that earns me more too? My question is:

If I do a walk that earns me 200 calories which MapMy imports into MFP, what about the activity that Fitbit registers? Is that also going to give me 200 calories for the same walk, or does it work itself out? I don't want to be getting double credit for my exercise?

So confused...!

It can be confusing, but when you record a workout with any mapmy app, it records the time of the workout and the calorie burn to mfp. If you also have fitbit syncing to mfp, it actually removes the calories burned for that timeframe on mfp under Fitbit calorie adjustment, because it has already recorded the calories burned for that timeframe as an activity you did in the mapmy app. So, to answer your question, no, you won't be getting double credit for your workouts. Just be careful if you are eating back your calories...I feel they are overestimated by mapmy apps just a little :smile:
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Awesome, this series of posts is very helpful, I have been wondering this for a while. Glad that they all "play" together so well!
  • Hi - just started using fitbit after using mapmyrun for ages to track my walking. I am trying to sync but I don't see any of my workouts on mapmyrun or any evidence of steps taken. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
  • jklmnopedia
    jklmnopedia Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2015
    Lisa, try this Fitbit-MapMyRun help page. Although, it might be too late for you (but not others who happen upon this) as this method only imports the last 30 days from Fitbit, IIRC.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group, but I would sync MapMy to Fitbit, and Fitbit to MFP—not MapMy to MFP.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users