Night Eating Syndrome

Options
Does anyone here suffer with NES? The daily pattern of eating demonstrates a significantly increased intake in the evening and/or nighttime, as manifested by one or both of the following:
- At least 25% of food intake is consumed after the evening meal
- At least two episodes of NOCTURNAL (waking up to eat) consumption per week
- Awareness and recall of evening and nocturnal eating episodes are present.
The clinical picture is characterized by at least three of the following features:
- Lack of desire to eat in the morning and/or breakfast is omitted on four or more mornings per week
- Presence of a strong urge to eat between dinner and sleep onset and/or during the night
- Sleep onset and/or sleep maintenance insomnia are present four or more nights per week
- Presence of a belief that one must eat in order to initiate or return to sleep
- Mood is frequently depressed and/or mood worsens in the evening
The disorder is associated with significant distress and/or impairment in functioning.
The disordered pattern of eating has been maintained for at least 3 months.
The disorder is not secondary to substance abuse or dependence, medical disorder, medication, or another psychiatric disorder.

Replies

• maryjane28
    maryjane28 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do!
  • alicia5569
    alicia5569 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • Vallorine
    Vallorine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did not know this was a thing, but I have all of those symptoms.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that was a thing either.
    But I do!! Worse now that I'm in my 50's.
  • fee236
    fee236 Posts: 3
    Options
    I do this too
  • reeshelen55
    Options
    Me too! Never knew that this was a thing.
  • Nezz123
    Nezz123 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Tea can help...especially the caffeine-free stuff for night. Love ginger, but it can be too spicy for some folks. Chamomile, mint, and dandelion (bitter) are good, too. Also, they make your skin look good the next morning....
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Nezz123 wrote: »
    Tea can help...especially the caffeine-free stuff for night. Love ginger, but it can be too spicy for some folks. Chamomile, mint, and dandelion (bitter) are good, too. Also, they make your skin look good the next morning....

I love ginger tea. I hadn't thought of that actually. LOL. I blame it on living in the desert.
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've had it for a long time, it got worse after I was put on a sleep medication. I would get tired and stumble in the kitchen and eat everything, keep in mind, I was almost asleep, if not asleep, I would consume so much peanut butter and candy, which has gotten me into the shape I am now. I no longer take the medication as of almost a month ago, and I've not night eaten one time.
  • Ketumbar
    Ketumbar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No, tea doesn't help. Not if you have NES. Nor does keeping carrots and celery sticks in the refrigerator. Is there a support group on fitpal for people who really have NES?