Bikram Yoga

Options
Has anyone done this?
Going to try a class in Birmingham... dont really know what to expect..

Replies

• Carrie_Dane
    Carrie_Dane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bikram is 26 postures done twice. Is this hot or not? Hot Bikram is wonderful after you get past the initial shock of the heat of 105-108 degree room. Drink lots of water before during and after. Take a towel to cover your mat and little clothing.

Good luck and let us know how you did!
  • XLMKX
    XLMKX Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm in Coventry and I can't find anywhere near me that does it and I really want to try :(
  • annalisasantoro2
    annalisasantoro2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes it is hot yoga, thanks for the advice! Im afraid i will not look my best during and after this session... lol!

I struggled to find a class, the closest i could find is Birmingham and Leicester... it is expensive too so I hope it works for me!
  • XLMKX
    XLMKX Posts: 86
    Options
    Where is the Birmingham one?
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga! It's a fantastic work out with a lot of health benefits. It's intense but keep it up for at least 4 or 5 classes. You'll be amazed at the progress you make and how balanced and cared for your body feels.
  • annalisasantoro2
    annalisasantoro2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The Birmingham one is right in the Centre at a place called Yoga Heaven ...
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I love Bikram but it is definitely an acquired taste, how did you go?

GG
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    it is awesome. i have done it for a few years. i recently moved over to hot vinyasa flow clost to my home because the bikram class was a 45 minute drive each way and that plus a 90 minute class was too big of a time commitment.

the room will be about 105+ degrees and 40% humidity. if you have a true bikram disciple teaching, you will not be allowed to drink water except when instructed. hydration for this kind of heat endurance needs to be done 24-48 hours in advance. If you drink water just before entering you will probably feel nauseous during class. for your first class just do your best to stay in the room and attempt all poses modified. if you find your heart racing (caused by the heat) control it with your breathing. most studios near where i live offer new student passes for $20 - 3 classes. you have to give it at least 3 classes before you decide if it is for you. if you keep with it you will be amazed at how quickly your body changes.