Mashed Cauliflower recipe

Options
Crystel22
Crystel22 Posts: 242 Member
I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for mashed cauliflower? I wanted to try this as an alternative to mashed potatoes.

Thanks!!!:happy:

Replies

• CassieH818
    CassieH818 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would love a good one as well!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    i am curious as well =) my husband (who hates anything good for you) told me he would actually try it =)
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    try the www.hungrygirl.com website.
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I just steam the cauliflower and add a little salt. I steam it until it is really really soft. Then I just use a potato masher (don't know the right name of utensil!) It will be the consistency of mashed potatoes. Then I add a little spray butter.

I also sometimes add garlic. I put garlic on everything!

The best part is my kids love it and they don't know its cauliflower : )
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    i steam my cauliflower, then I put it in my food processor with some garlic and a wedge or two of Laughing Cow cheese, some paremesean cheese, and peper. You may want to add a dash of chicken broth to liquify it some. So delish!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    1 Medium head of cauliflower
    2-3 russet potatoes, peeled or unpeeled (your preference)
    2 tblspoon extra virgin olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    S&P to taste

Chop potatoes into chunks and cauliflower into florets. Place potatoes in cold water and bring to a boil, with enough water to eventually add the cauliflower. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and add cauliflower. Let simmer for 20 minutes or so, until veggies are tender. Strain, put back in pot, and use a potato masher to mash together, adding in the remaining ingredients.

Delish!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I prepare them just as would mashed potatoes. Cook the cauliflower until soft enough to mash (I either boil, steam or microwave it) will work. Add a little salt, pepper, canned skim milk (my alternative to cream because it's thicker than regular milk but still fat free), and a little healthy fat (I usually use a mix of Benecol and olive oil). Then mash it. I like to use an immersion blender to make it really smooth.

roasted garlic is a good addition, or add less milk and add reduced fat sour cream and chives. Yummy!
  • Carek99
    Carek99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We also mix cauliflower and potatoes for a more healthy than mashed potatoes hybrid. If you have a steamer, you can boil the potatoes in the bottom pan and steam the cauliflower. When the potatoes are ready for mashing so is the cauliflower. Add a small amount of salt and margarine along with some garlic.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I do the same--steam it, but then put in the blender, with a little water so that it has enough liquid to mash.

Then puree.

When it's done, it's amazing w/just a little sea salt and pepper if you like it. I like adding a drop of truffle oil or olive oil, and fresh grated Parmesan.

So amazing, easy and good for you. My 6 year old loves it too.
  • ShoeDeahva
    ShoeDeahva Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about finding this recipe. Thanks all.
  • tmthorn0927
    tmthorn0927 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i steam my cauliflower, then I put it in my food processor with some garlic and a wedge or two of Laughing Cow cheese, some paremesean cheese, and peper. You may want to add a dash of chicken broth to liquify it some. So delish!

Love the laughing cow idea!
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    bump
  • Crystel22
    Crystel22 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your ideas. I will be trying some of these soon. :happy:
  • mommy2b2
    mommy2b2 Posts: 43
    Options
    Bump
  • StLGranE
    StLGranE Posts: 5
    Options
    I've not tried this recipe, but will give it a try. This is from "Gina's weight watchers recipes" website. If you make it, let us know.

Creamy Cauliflower Purée
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 3/4 cup • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 2 pt
    Calories: 60.7 • Fat: 2.4 g • Protein: 3.7 g • Carb: 8.6 g • Fiber: 4.2 g

Ingredients:

1 medium head cauliflower, cut up into florets
    4 cloves crushed garlic
    1/3 cup 1% buttermilk
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tbsp light butter

Directions:

Steam or boil cauliflower and garlic until soft. Drain, add buttermilk, light butter, salt, pepper and purée with a hand blender. If you don't own a hand blender, you should consider getting one. It is one of my most used gadgets in my kitchen, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. A regular blender would work fine as well.
  • sarahlynn_86_04
    Options
    Can't wait to try. I like the mixing it with potatoes idea...maybe then I can sneak it past my husband. :wink: