So should i not eat after 7pm??

Options
I've been told to not eat after 7, is this something i should do?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    do you turn into an evil gremlin if you eat after 7?
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    actually it doesn't really matter what time you eat...
    in order to lose weight, you need to make a calorie deficit for the day.
    however, I like to eat before 7 so my body can digest the food while I am still awake.
    I prefer going to bed 4 hours after I am done eating.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Only if eating later causes health issues while you sleep. Otherwise, meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. Right now I don't even eat dinner until after 8:30 three nights a week.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

:bigsmile:
  • vandasreject
    vandasreject Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do. But I try not to eat anything too heavy, usually some dark chocolate and a cuppa. I've slept so much better since.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    No it is not bad if you do. I usually try to go with something light though.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    7pm in which time zone?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    It is up to you. For weight loss, it does not matter. Perhaps eating too close to bed time will give you trouble sleeping. For many it does not; in fact it is quite comforting to me.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As many here just mentioned, the only reason not to is if you'll have trouble sleeping if you eat too close to bedtime. For me, that usually means I don't eat past 8pm since I go to bed at 10.

If you're hungry and can have a snack 5 minutes before you go to bed and it doesn't cause issues, I say go for it (as long as you have the calories to spare!).

~Lyssa
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Does not matter what time. Just eat at a calorie deficit if you want to lose weight. Do what works for you and is sustainable for you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My last little low-cal snack is usually about 10 pm. That works for me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. As long as you stick to your calorie goals for the day, you can eat your calories any way and any time you please.

In fact, I had some M&M's last night at around 11:30pm. Which reminds me, I didn't log them. Thanks for the reminder OP. :drinker:
  • luvinme0817
    luvinme0817 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

lol yes i actually do lol

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have to. I can't sleep on an empty stomach so I save about 400 calories for a late night snack. I have a hiatal hernia so I cannot eat a big meal and have to stretch my food out over the day into 5-6 smaller meals.

If you have issues with acid reflux or gastric erosion, you might want to not eat just before going to bed, or watch what you eat but comfort is the only determining factor. It makes no difference as far as weight loss, as my 99.4 lb gone while eating late at night shows.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

gremlins8.gif
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

lol yes i actually do lol

Funny, I turn into one if I don't eat after 7:00
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the people who said it doesn't matter. My husband isn't even finished work until 6, so that wouldn't even be possible for us. It was just one of those pseudoscience myths that got picked up on on the net and everyone believed it.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i tend to not eat late at night, just because that does sometimes lead to late night junk food snacking.

but dinner for me is usually like 7-730 for me.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself but I try not to eat too late. Perhaps it's only mental but I prefer not to go to sleep on a full (or even partially full) stomach. But I also have GERD so it might be physical as well. I also like to think of time between my last meal and breakfast as a true fast. Again, this is what works for me.
  • sjtassia
    sjtassia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As many have stated, it'll *kitten* up your sleep, and any good program will insist on good rest to let your body recover. To boot, your metabolism slows down when you sleep, so it's not a good idea.