So should i not eat after 7pm??

Replies

• charlatte987
    charlatte987 Posts: 27 Member
    It really doesn't matter in terms of weight loss, like has been said above. You may feel uncomfortable or get, acid reflux like symptoms and stuff (at least that's happened to me) if you eat right before bed. But if you're starving after 7PM, and need to have a midnight snack, if it fits in your calories, go for it.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    sjtassia wrote: »
    As many have stated, it'll *kitten* up your sleep, and any good program will insist on good rest to let your body recover. To boot, your metabolism slows down when you sleep, so it's not a good idea.

Wrong.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    As many have stated, it'll *kitten* up your sleep, and any good program will insist on good rest to let your body recover. To boot, your metabolism slows down when you sleep, so it's not a good idea.

No. No. What people said is if you know (from previous experience) that it will mess up your sleep, avoid it. Otherwise, there is no issue. There are also plenty of people who can't sleep well if they are hungry.

Your one-size-fits-all advice ignores that.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    I regularly eat 50% or MORE of my daily calories between 7-10pm. It's not effecting my weight Ioss.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member

Yeah that's not what any of us said.

Some people can eat right before sleeping and have no issues. Others can't.

None of us said it will cause issues. We said it could for some people.

~Lyssa
  • youmeandthesea
    youmeandthesea Posts: 26 Member
    It's all about numbers, what you take in versus what you expend. Keep track of EVERYTHING, weigh, measure etc. If you can do this consisently it will give you an idea when you look back at your weight loss/or lack there of, you will see what you are doing right and what you need to change. Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like! :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »

False. Completely false.

This reminds me. I had a huge argument with a very close friend about this recently, she passed on some scientific studies for me to read but I wanted to send them to you and ndj too because I'm a little dense.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I eat half my daily calories after 7pm. Didn't hinder my weightloss.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member

what a pile of hogwash
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member

No one stated that. It doesn't mess up everyone's sleep, the comments were that if it does that would be the only reason to limit your eating before bedtime.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

Please provide a valid, vetted source for this. When you cannot do that, do the honorable thing and admit you're wrong.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member

Nonsense; The only person that said this is you. All others said; only an issue if you/your body doesn't like it. We are all different in that respect and your own life rythem has a lot to do with that.

My body does not care about the timing at all: I usually eat after 7pm as that is when my husband and I are finally home (work, sports, hobby etc). Neither of us have trouble sleeping at all and we both have been loosing weight over the last year, using MFP.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Eat when you're hungry. Doesn't matter what time it is.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    I think it was either DR. OZ or Oprah show in the past that said don't eat for 3 hrs. before bedtime. Personally if I'm hungry I can't fall asleep.
  • Silveya
    Silveya Posts: 77 Member
    It would help to know where you heard it from. My husband read an article about fasting. Unfortunately he's not here for me to ask him about it. He told me it mentioned timing your fasts around bedtime to help you get through a lot of your hours while sleeping. If you were trying to fast for 12 to 16 hours or more, I guess it would help a lot to start around 7pm... I myself know next to nothing about fasting though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I start eating dinner at 7 PM almost every single day. I usually eat a small snack between 8 PM and 11PM. Still losing weight.
    It doesn't matter what time of day you eat your calories as long as you don't exceed your calorie goal. If you prefer not to eat after 7 PM or if eating close to your bed time causes issues for you then don't do it. Otherwise eat any time you want to.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    The reason many people make this recommendation is to avoid night snacking; however, like other here have noted, your body doesn't shut down after 7 PM. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied, and keep on keeping on :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I've been told to not eat after 7, is this something i should do?

It's up to you. Some folks IF and their window closes around there. Some people find their sleep disrupted if they have too many calories later than that. Some people find they can have a giant meal after that with no ill effects whatsoever.

You'll have to find what works best for YOU.

:drinker:
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    yea really does'nt matter what time of the day you eat as long as you stay within your calorie goal and keep that deficit
  • thedaydreamer92
    thedaydreamer92 Posts: 198 Member
    Most nights I don't get home until 10:30 at night, so I usually eat dinner around 11. I don't see a problem with it.