Intermittent Fasting

Options
tameka1220
tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
Who has heard of it? Who is doing it and what results have you had so far?

Please and thank you!

Replies

• LookN2Lose15
    Options
    Just my opinion here, but unless you need to "medically" fast...I wouldn't do it.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    seems like it would the body into some unnecessary stress not to mention starvation motion too. This would be unreasonable for me as I have been so successful losing my weight by eating times a day.
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion here, but unless you need to "medically" fast...I wouldn't do it.

Look it up its not your typical fast
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Unless you are "fasting" for a 12 hour period before a medical test this is NEVER a good idea. Your body needs a certain amount of calories to "fuel" your basic functions and this will do FAR more harm than good to practice.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Google Eat Stop Eat and Lean Gains for a start. If you're interested do some research. I've had success with it, but tend to not discuss here because people don't understand it and bash it easily. Good luck.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would try anything like this without discussing it with a doctor. I know people see success with zigzagging calories (low a few days, then back up to calorie limit for a day or two,) so that may be a less extreme option. As a Catholic, I fast a few times a year and I am always ravenous the next day. So I don't think this would even work for me.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    seems like it would the body into some unnecessary stress not to mention starvation motion too. This would be unreasonable for me as I have been so successful losing my weight by eating times a day.

sorry, typing stinks this morning,......I eat six times a day so fasting for me is not something I would consider.
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    Fasting only slows your metabolism because it sends your body into storage mode. Along with this, it induces muscle wasting which impairs your BMR. Remember the more muscle you have, the more you burn. Ask any dietitian and they will tell you to avoid it unless it is medically necessary like before a surgery or before blood work.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I see this as a zig-zag diet. I am in this for the long haul, to learn healthy eating habits and gain a new outlook on life. This is another form of diet, and would not last very long. I would simply return to my old eating habits without exercise. I'll leave it for others.
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, intermittent fasting has numerous and proven health benefits, including but not limited to fat loss. I fast for 24 hours about once a week, and love everything about it. Everyone needs to do a little more research on the studies related to intermittent fasting before they start going off on how terrible an idea it is.
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    Also, I forgot to respond to the original question, I have had great results. 31 pounds lost since January as well as gains in strength.

Also, while intermittent fasting is definitely healthy, it is also definitely not for everyone.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I use a form of IF with spike84. I have lost lots of fat and gained lots of strength. Check my profile pics to see where I started.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Gotta be careful with the fasting, not just for the slowing of the metabolism and starvation mode, but also setting yourself up for a binge. But if you think you can handle it and your not worried about your metabolism then go for it. Oh one more thing, I have heard that fasting for less than 24 hours is not even enough time to give your body any benefit from ridding itself of waste or clearing anything out.
  • lady_daraine
    Options
    I've had success with it, but tend to not discuss here because people don't understand it and bash it easily. Good luck.

This quote sums it up perfectly for me. It works, but so many people are convinced that the "eat many times a day" thing is the only way. It's kind of funny when you think about it - not even 100 years ago, getting just 3 meals a day meant you were well off, and many people only ate breakfast and dinner... which is a form of intermittent fasting! I suggest starting with Lean Gains for reading, and work your way out from there.

Again, good luck.
  • ceebs9
    Options
    The key here is the word INTERMITTENT. You are not going to damage your metabolism or go into starvation mode.

And now I must stop reading this thread before my head explodes.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    The key here is the word INTERMITTENT. You are not going to damage your metabolism or go into starvation mode.

By the time you do it long enough for it to actually work you can be in starvation mode.
  • ceebs9
    Options

By the time you do it long enough for it to actually work you can be in starvation mode.

Aaaaaarghhhhh!!!!!! :explode:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Fasting only slows your metabolism because it sends your body into storage mode. Along with this, it induces muscle wasting which impairs your BMR. Remember the more muscle you have, the more you burn. Ask any dietitian and they will tell you to avoid it unless it is medically necessary like before a surgery or before blood work.

Depends on how long you do it. Intermittent Fasting is different and there are a number of different options on how to do it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-intermittent-fasting/

And it can be very, very healthy. Our early ancestors didn't always have access to food at all times. When I decided to try out Primal Blueprint I started it off with a 26 hour fast and I felt wonderful.

Intermittent fasting can be just skipping a meal that day. Or getting your day's calories in a 4 hour window.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I see this as a zig-zag diet.

On the fasting day you only eat about 500-1000 cals b/c you don't eat until dinner (usually - depending on how you set up your 24 hours, this was is usually easiest) so no, it is NOT zig-zaging to be that low one day.

Op- check out the Eat-Stop-Eat thread, great info and support there.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Doing 2 hours of cardio 7 days a week is unnecessary stress on the body and will eat away at your muscle mass more than not eating for 24 hours.