Wishful thinking hopefully

Options
Is it possible to lose 90-100 by December of 2015. Whats the safest i can lose per week??

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You should aim for 1-2 pounds per week. In the beginning you might lose more, but don't be fooled, it's water weight. Losing 1-2 lbs per week keeps you losing fat steadily and keeps you from losing lean muscle. It also gives your skin time to come down with you, and doesn't stress your body. Remember you are starting out on a journey, not a race. You will spend this first part of the journey losing weight, and once you reach your first goalpost of weight loss, you will move into maintenance. You will work on maintaining for the rest of your life. It's really the most rewarding journey, because you are learning to care for yourself and love yourself!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I try to discourage people from putting a time frame on their weight loss. As is often said around here, weight loss is not linear. There will be weeks when you do everything right and will see the scale go up. You may have a few weeks in a row where it doesn't budge.

Count your calories, log everything faithfully, eat at a deficit and the weight will come off. Just let it happen as it happens. ;)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You'd potentially be able to handle 2lb/week for 5-6 months at your weight. After than switching to 1lb/week will likely feel more comfortable and will be better for lean mass retention. So let's say 6 months on a 2lb/week goal, maybe you'll lose 50lbs by September. Maybe 60lbs by December if the next 3 months you lose 1lb/week.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What if you made different goals each week?

X number of steps
    X minutes of exercise
    X number of miles on a bike
    X days of lifting
    X number of miles either outside or on a treadmill
    X number of reps with X amount of weight
    X minutes of yoga and/or Pilates
    X times you work out with a friend
    add your own

Make a calendar (can even just use a piece of paper), start the first few weeks with goals you know you can hit and then when you've felt the success try for goals that will stretch you. Make weight a secondary thought because you will tone with consistent exercise but not necessarily lose weight. If you are focused on the number you will have weeks here or there when you will either stay the same or gain and it could derail you.

Take a picture of yourself in a slightly too tight outfit and take another picture in the same outfit on the same day each month to track your body's process.

Find friends--real life or here--that are motivated to become more fit so you have someone to talk to. Make sure that they encourage you to push yourself and not enable you to get off track (have that extra cookie, you've been so good lately/you've lost enough weight/don't work out so hard this week/etc).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Possibly yes, but why set such a strict deadline? What happens if you lose 90 lbs not by December but February or May?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I try to discourage people from putting a time frame on their weight loss. As is often said around here, weight loss is not linear. There will be weeks when you do everything right and will see the scale go up. You may have a few weeks in a row where it doesn't budge.

Count your calories, log everything faithfully, eat at a deficit and the weight will come off. Just let it happen as it happens. ;)

I tend to agree with this. Losing weight safely and being able to KEEP it off is more important than how quickly you do it.
  • luvinme0817
    luvinme0817 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible but likely to be not much fun. I've lost 20.8kg/45-46lbs in 12 weeks but I'm eating more now and tye weekly losses are slowing down. I noticed lots of lose skin on my upper inner thighs and I'm no longer in such a rush to drop the weight. I think it's worth the time it takes to lose steadily over a longer period of time :smile:
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would not put a time frame on it. I think it will probably take me 14-15 months total to lose 70 pounds (I have lost 46 in the last 7 months). I initially wanted to lose as fast as possible--but I also underfed myself pretty badly at the beginning and have had menstruation issues and pretty bad exhaustion.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It took me two years to lose 65 pounds. I could have done it faster, but I would have been a lot less happy. I think it's better to focus on changing your lifestyle to create a consistent calorie deficit, and let the weight loss take however long you need.

Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What's the rush?
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I concur with other posters. It is better to lose excess body weight slow but steady. Remember how long it took you to acquire this extra weight. It will take as long to lose it. Manage your expectations.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lose it slower and you are more likely to keep it off....

what's more important? keeping it off or losing it fast? For me, I don't care if it takes 2 years to lose... whats important is that i KEEP it off ;)