New to FB, looking for friends for mutual support

Options
Hi, all -- I am new to FB and thought I would introduce myself. I quit smoking on December 31, 2014 and gained 10 pounds immediately -- was already 50 pounds overweight, so I'm working on taking off a total of 60. Down 9 since 3/1/15, so it's slow but steady. I'm a 66 year old grandma of 3, working full time and loving being smoke free after 53 years of smoking. I have a wonderful web community where I'm blogging about my quit and making new friends, and I would love to get involved with this community as well. I'm massively out of shape, so it's the exercise that is the biggest challenge to me. Any thoughts about what an old lady with COPD and bad knees can do to get much more fit?

Replies

• ron_j_d
    ron_j_d Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a swim club or a pool? Low impact water arobics serve many many purposes. 1) NO SWEATING (LOL) 2) There is no impact on the knees 3) swimming works many different muscles while also increasing heart rate and burns calories.

Obviously a swim club or gym (with a fitness instructor and lifeguard on duty) are optimal. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • meganmjo
    meganmjo Posts: 9
    Options
    I know I have posted something like this on another post, but my advice is to first concentrate on the food aspect of losing weight. I was 25 years old when I took up running again and I developed plantar fasciitis. It took a year of using a cane, my husband rubbing my feet EVERY night, and really expensive ugly shoes to get rid of it. So start slowly. Ron's suggestion of swimming is a really good one. Maybe try some walking workout videos. So if you find your COPD acting up, you will be in the comfort of your own home and can rest up, or sit. IF you don't already have one, maybe ask your doctor about prescribing an inhaler or nebulizer. Best of luck to you djmurray59 :smiley:
  • clherna1953
    clherna1953 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you've been diagnosed with the COPD you could ask your doctor to send you to a PT program for pulmonary rehab. My dad went through it twice & it really helped. Praying for you.
  • tgordonmack619
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking, what a major accomplishment. I'm not great with fitness but working on it but I'm good for encouragement!
  • Deb1597
    Deb1597 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    djmurray59 wrote: »
    Hi, all -- I am new to FB and thought I would introduce myself. I quit smoking on December 31, 2014 and gained 10 pounds immediately -- was already 50 pounds overweight, so I'm working on taking off a total of 60. Down 9 since 3/1/15, so it's slow but steady. I'm a 66 year old grandma of 3, working full time and loving being smoke free after 53 years of smoking. I have a wonderful web community where I'm blogging about my quit and making new friends, and I would love to get involved with this community as well. I'm massively out of shape, so it's the exercise that is the biggest challenge to me. Any thoughts about what an old lady with COPD and bad knees can do to get much more fit?