Need to exercise but recovering from muscular disorder

Options
lrosebarone
lrosebarone Posts: 2
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,
I'm new here!! Last year I was diagnosed with pelvic floor disorder, which in a nut shell means the muscles of my pelvic floor have chronically contracted due to over exercising and stress. I am slowly getting better but I have not been able
to do much in terms of exercise for some time, which has led me to put on a few lbs, maybe 8-10? Anyway, I am planning on getting serious with my diet and doing low carb and also going to begin exercising again. My question is has anyone had success with light/moderate exercise/cardio- treadmill walking on incline, light jogging, stationary bike, stair master? I am also doing yoga. That is about all I am able to do right now! I would love to get some feedback and support!! Thanks so much,
Lisa

Replies

• catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was low carb for most of 2013 and lost an easy 15lb in three months without having to exercise (I was injured at the time). I lost a little bit more weight after that but it stabilised at what I considered to be a healthy weight for me (127lb at 5'5"). The only reason I went back to a 'normal' way of eating was due to losing my job and having to move back in with my parents so I ate what they ate. Btw, that last sentence wasn't relevant to your question at all; I just find that some people are quick to condemn low carb as being unsustainable and then they claim that's why I stopped. ;) At the same time I was doing light cardio, e.g. walking and yoga, so your plan sounds good to me if your doctor has said it's OK. Maybe you could find a silver lining and make this a time to focus on good nutrition instead of heavy exercise? The slower pace might combat the stress you had earlier too.
  • TigerAlum09
    TigerAlum09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had to get major surgery on my lower abdominal area and once the stitches were closed and everything was good to go, I found swimming to be a really good way to get back into working out. Low impact, as gentle or hard as you want it to be. I also started one of those couch to 5K things and it wasn't too bad, I stayed in the first week for a few weeks until I felt up for progressing. I would ask your doctor before you do anything involving lifting. My mother had a prolapse in her pelvic floor and it was brutal. She still can't lift more than 8 lbs because of all of the surgeries she had to have.