Yoga

Options
Tracejh
Tracejh Posts: 144 Member
I quite fancy doing yoga but have bad knees (I can't kneel due to carteledge damage from long distance running) ... has anyone done yoga before and what are the benefits ?

Can it aid weight loss ?

Replies

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    my aunt was telling me about some "chair yoga" thing she heard about that was started through hospital physio therapy programs specifically designed for people with limitations that would prevent them from being able to do traditional poses....you might look into that. As for aiding weight loss....your burn is based on intensity and how much you weigh in the first place....so it's not exactly a time efficient way to burn calories since it will take longer to achieve the same burn as you would get with a higher intensity exercise. That said, it's good for more than weight loss. It's also good for balance, core strength etc.
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I find that yoga is great for stress management and flexibility, core strength and learning to control your breathing.
    If you go to a class, arrive early and tell your instructor about your limitations, and he/she can provide modifications for you.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Pilates is also excellent for the knees. I don't know that it aid weight loss, but you are using you muscles and working them.

I DO know that it aids in size loss
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Yoga is fabulous is so many different ways. People say that you won't lose weight or build muscle with it, but it's a myth. I have been doing it just fine. They say that if you have bad knees, to use a folded towel or blanket for under your knees, and/or hips depending on the pose that could cause strain to your knees. :)
  • Shokei
    Shokei Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    By doing yoga, I lost 43 lbs. gained muscles I thought I never had, relieved back pain and have a healthy perspective :)
  • Cocomo2015
    Cocomo2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been running and doing weights for years. About 6 months ago I discovered yoga...I'm in better shape with more definition and muscle gain from yoga than I have been from all my other exercising combined!!
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I got certified to teach yoga last year (then had surgery that meant I couldn't practice for several months). Depending on the kind of yoga you do, it can absolutely get your heart rate up enough to burn some serious calories, and is useful for gaining flexibility and building stabilizer muscles that can have a big impact on weight training capacity as well. I have a sensitive right knee, and yoga not only strengthened all the muscles around the joint, which eliminated pain, it got me to change some dysfunctional movement habits I had that were also hurting my knee (hyperextension). Pretty much every yoga pose can and should be modified to take into account your injuries and physical limitations. I'd recommend a beginners class at a studio with a good teacher who will help you build good form and capacity.
  • Tracejh
    Tracejh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice xxx
  • margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yoga has helped my knees. But the folks ahead who say to find a good teacher who is knowledgeable are right - that is critical. i'd definitely visit a few studios, ask around to friends, and do your research. Usually if you express your concerns to a studio, and call a few you can suss out the most knowledgeable teachers that are suitable to your needs. Good luck. I love yoga. And if you look at yoga teachers, or students at any of the top yoga studios...they usually look pretty dang fit.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    YES!! If you start off slow with some standing poses and then work your way into things like warrior pose/pigeon pose etc. You stop when you feel pain and you slowly work your way deeper into a pose. It might be a slow process but you'll feel better in general and it's great for balance and just self awareness in general.
  • Beastie32
    Beastie32 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yoga is fabulous is so many different ways. People say that you won't lose weight or build muscle with it, but it's a myth. I have been doing it just fine. They say that if you have bad knees, to use a folded towel or blanket for under your knees, and/or hips depending on the pose that could cause strain to your knees. :)

Totally agree! I'm doing yoga for 18months now when I started my weight was 321lbs. I lost 106lbs and I think yoga was a huge part of my success

• FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Yoga is not a big calorie burning activity, but it has so many other benefits. Balance, flexibility, stress relief. Lifting is my #1 exercise, but yoga is a very close second. :smile:
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    There are different types of yoga- look for a gentle or restorative yoga. Talk to the teacher first. Enjoy.