Does Lift Like a Girl Guide work?

Options
I recently came across a video series on strength training for women and how to achieve results and blabla. Its only 27 bucks and as all of these different components and it sounds really good but has anyone personally tried it and followed it for a few months? And if so, did this series work for you?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Why not do something like New Rules of Lifting for women ($10.73) or Stronglifts 5x5 (free)?

To answer your question though, I've never heard of it. The 2 programs I listed above are the ones I hear the most about on here and I'm actually doing Stronglifts 5x5 currently.
  • leightybug098
    leightybug098 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    yeah I heard about the new rules for lifting and was going to buy the book but I kind of wanted to compare a bit! Thanks :)
  • LoeshaElizabeth
    LoeshaElizabeth Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    try looking on fitnessblender.com, they have over 400 FREE workout videos online including looaadds of strength training suitible for men and women. also have loads of nutrition info and advice on becoming a healthier happier you :)
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about Nia Shanks' stuff, she's seriously amazing. I've been lifting for a few years and I still use her templates when designing programs.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5's are free.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I read this as Lift Like a Girl Guide, as in the Canadian version of a Girl Scout. Lift those cookies!
    Girls_2_mint_jpg.jpg
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have to admit, I saw this title and went "How do Girl Guides life? aren't they just little girls?" it really took me some time. Girl Guides are the Australian equivalent of Girl Scouts. Without cookies. Curse them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I read this as Lift Like a Girl Guide, as in the Canadian version of a Girl Scout. Lift those cookies!

Heh! I read it that way too.

Seriously, though, I think it is Nia Shanks' program, and if so I expect it's good. She has a podcast also that you might want to check out.

That said, I probably wouldn't pay for a program just because there are various others available for free and my sense is that most of the good beginner ones are about equally good. SL is popular here and really easy to follow if you know the form for the moves and want to lift heavy. New Rules Supercharged is really good also, but takes a little more choice, and tends to have more volume (3 sets, 8-12 reps instead of 5x5).

I think the trick with starting is just picking something and sticking with it instead of trying to find the perfect thing and jumping from program to program. (That was my problem last year when I was first trying to get started.)
  • leightybug098
    Options
    Hahaha sorry I should have said that better. Yes, Nia Shanks progam. I will look into the free progams mentioned though thank you!
  • leightybug098
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Girls_2_mint_jpg.jpg

Thank you for making my day XD