Special diets

Options
Anyone have any great gluten free & dairy free recipes? Or favourite gluten and dairy free snacks/products?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    First off, are you going on this "special diet" for weight loss? If so I have no recipes for you because the diet is unnecessary.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    First off, are you going on this "special diet" for weight loss? If so I have no recipes for you because the diet is unnecessary.

This. Please specify whether you have celiac disease/dairy intolerance.
  • lesliedias22
    lesliedias22 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am currently on an elimination diet for health reasons. I am lactose intolerant and have been for years however, still was eating very small amounts of dairy. I have an autoimmune disease in regards to my hypothyroidism and the last month, eating any products with gluten had caused intense cramping/digestive issues, and my doctor suggestion eliminating gluten to not only help with the thyroid, but he believes I may be celiac as well so suggested the elimination diet for a period of time before bringing in my normal diet to see whats happens and then he'd like to do celiac testing.

So yes. Long story short, it is for medical reasons. Thanks.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Are you sure it's gluten and not simply wheat? Because I'm GF for digestive reasons as well (basically causes IBS-esque symptoms for me) and there are a LOT of foods that contain gluten that you'd not think contain gluten. if your issue is solely WHEAT though, then that's much easier to contend with. In which case I'd suggest going wheat-free first, see if that helps. If it doesn't, then try gluten-free. I know that for myself, eating things with a bit of gluten can still cause stomach issues for me. e.g. years ago I was eating some barely-based salads for a few days in a row and experienced some discomfort, then my mom reminded me barley is glutinous.

print off GF ingredient lists, just google "gluten-free ___" or even use GF flour replacements in normal recipes. Almond, soy, and rice milk can work as dairy substitutes. Some brands make lactose-free yogurt as well (Liberte does for sure).

As for brands, Udi's and Kinnikinnick consistently make good things. There are other random brands I've come across that are local things, like generic grocery store brand, or other random one-off things I find. Dempsters, Silver Hills, are two other brands that make good GF bread.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wait... a doctor suggested an elimination diet BEFORE testing for celiac?

That's not how celiac testing works. You need to actively be eating gluten to be tested for celiac disease.

Go to a gastroenterologist who knows what he's doing.

I'm sorry, I can't really help much with gluten-free products, I don't use many. I get my carbs from beans and potatoes, usually :smile:

I like Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut gluten free oats, Udi's line of breads and Tinkyada pasta (even though I don't eat that any more, I prefer bean pasta now for the protein).
  • lesliedias22
    Options
    I tried the wheat free thing and it didn't quite rid me of my symptoms so that's when I made the move to gluten free. I'd always eaten gluten free pastas because normal pastas never settled with me but had wheat otherwise regularly so now I'm changing things up to "detox" and then slowly start adding some wheat back and see what happens because I was really rough for awhile. I was anxious to eat anything because everything caused discomfort after a while.

The dairy free thing can be difficult. I am allergic to soy, it absolutely messes with me - has for years.
  • lesliedias22
    Options

That's not how celiac testing works. You need to actively be eating gluten to be tested for celiac disease.

It's because I was in severe discomfort and working out of town so couldn't get the testing done. I am seeing a GI doc once my work schedule lessens and by then I will be back to a "normal" diet for the testing.

• ana3067
    Options
    If you have an actual allergy or sensitivity to gluten then you will not simply be able to "detox" and then add it back in... it would be a lifetime change.

I will disagree that testing is necessary, however, simply because tests can still bring up false negatives and there is no real health consequence to doing self-administered elimination diets (assuming you are still eating enough nutrients and calories overall). If eliminating gluten entirely alleviates the symptoms, then no need to get testing done. If after at least 2 months of elimination there are no changes at all then go get testing done.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

It's because I was in severe discomfort and working out of town so couldn't get the testing done. I am seeing a GI doc once my work schedule lessens and by then I will be back to a "normal" diet for the testing.

Gotcha! Phew! Glad to know you're not seeing a quack doctor.

I have hypothyroidism and celiac too. Autoimmune diseases are like pack animals sometimes. It's a real pain.

There's a line of products... I think they're called Enjoy Life... they are free of dairy and gluten(and tons of other allergens). I used to like their cookies.

• lesliedias22
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    If you have an actual allergy or sensitivity to gluten then you will not simply be able to "detox" and then add it back in... it would be a lifetime change.

I will disagree that testing is necessary, however, simply because tests can still bring up false negatives and there is no real health consequence to doing self-administered elimination diets (assuming you are still eating enough nutrients and calories overall). If eliminating gluten entirely alleviates the symptoms, then no need to get testing done. If after at least 2 months of elimination there are no changes at all then go get testing done.

I'm aware it won't "detox"... Jeez. lol it was a term I was using. I'm a bit aways from testing, but since celiac is an autoimmune disease and I've got one of those already, my endocrinologist would like to do the testing when applicable.

And How did asking for recipe and snack suggestions become a critique of my health? Lol... Although the concern is appreciated.
  • lesliedias22
    Options

Gotcha! Phew! Glad to know you're not seeing a quack doctor.

I have hypothyroidism and celiac too. Autoimmune diseases are like pack animals sometimes. It's a real pain.

There's a line of products... I think they're called Enjoy Life... they are free of dairy and gluten(and tons of other allergens). I used to like their cookies.

Thanks! I'll look into those.

And I've come to notice this! It's so frustrating... Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way though. Makes accepting these frustrations a lot easier :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    LOL please don't take offence the number of poster who go 'gluten free' to lose weight is amazing so posters get a bit wary

Do you bake?
  • lesliedias22
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    LOL please don't take offence the number of poster who go 'gluten free' to lose weight is amazing so posters get a bit wary

Do you bake?

I get that impression! lol

And when I have the time, I most certainly do like to bake so I can!
  • themuddles
    themuddles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Tinkyada pasta is probably the best GF pasta on the market, at least that I've tried. Holds up just like gluten-full pasta.

I really like this site for snacks and sweets. The bf is allergic to dairy and has Celiac so we do a lot of dairy/gf. As a benefit too a lot of the recipes are one bowl, so minimal cleanup!
  • lesliedias22
    Options
    themuddles wrote: »
    Tinkyada pasta is probably the best GF pasta on the market, at least that I've tried. Holds up just like gluten-full pasta.

I really like this site for snacks and sweets. The bf is allergic to dairy and has Celiac so we do a lot of dairy/gf. As a benefit too a lot of the recipes are one bowl, so minimal cleanup!

Thanks so much! This site looks great!