Dealing with Negative People

Options
Hi everyone! I just wanted to check in and see how everyone goes about dealing with people that are negative about them losing weight or getting healthy?

I have a friend that I go to the gym with (he is in fantastic shape, runs marathons and goes to the gym like 3 times a day because he loves working out). He is helpful with guiding workouts, but will call me things like "lazy" when I slow down during a workout or have to miss a gym day.

Same thing with people that criticize you for trying to eat healthy at restaurants, or get angry when you ask them if it would be alright to ask the waiter to not leave bread on the table, etc.

Replies

• justjack18
    justjack18 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. I have a family member like that. It's jealousy.
  • cflynn99
    cflynn99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try not to let them get you down. Everyone has different fitness goals and skill levels. My friend runs 8 miles a day, while I can barely manage one mile, so when we go out on the weekends its tough to not be able to splurge on a big meal like he does, I stick with my small portion sizes and hold the cheese and he jokes that if I had run 8 miles like he did I could have my cheese. Sometime they think they're motivating you, and don't realize your doing all you can at this point.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

1. The friend. Sounds a bit controlling, i'm all right jack, immature sort of thing. In his eyes he is being helpful, but I cant tell how he is criticisng you whether its teasing or its a bit more malicious and doing you down. If he is a genuine friend, then talk to him, tell him you are appreciative for his advice and support, but could he leave out the other stuff as you find it unhlepful (there were several other alternative phrases)... If he listens all well and good, if he doesnt, then you have to decide whether you are being oversensitive? If you cant brush it off or argue your corner, then perhaps you should be doing the diet and exercise on your own and without his assistance because he is more of a hinderance than a benefit?

2. People friends and family. As long as what you are doing is healthy and well thought out, then friends and family supposedly want the best for you, so they should support you. If they dont, brush it off and get on with doing what you know you want. Your life. You do have the other alternative which is to eat by portion control and eat smaller portions. I cant see what business it is of theirs what food you put in your own mouth.

3. The bread on the table I think is an example of your weight loss joirney impinging on them. Just because you are losing, you are asking them to put up with a minor inconvenience. Food will still exist in the world, so try and focus and be clear in your objectives, then it wont bother you because you have decided losing weight is more important. The world doesnt stop just because you choose to go on a diet nor will many other people be interested. Get friends on MFP and they can share their experience of being on a diet.

• abir888
    abir888 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know this feeling.. It's sucks.. Especially if this person is your husband :X
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Seems like there are three things going on. (1) Your friend thinks he is motivating you by pointing out what seems to be "slacking off" from his point of view. He's a friend, so tell him that it doesn't work. That really doesn't sound like a "negative person," because he wants you to achieve your goals; he's just going about it in a counterproductive way.

(2) People criticize your healthy choices at restaurants. It might be because it makes them feel bad about their own choices. It might be because they think you're losing too much weight (weight loss makes some people uncomfortable because it's often a consequence of disease). If they're close to you, you can try telling them that it bugs you; if not, then learn to ignore it. You can also order something that has more calories than you want to eat, and then leave some on your plate (or take leftovers home). See #3.

(3) Bread on the table. Here I have to say that I agree with @newmeadow‌. Let people have their bread. Unless you're going to be avoiding bread the rest of your life, you need to learn how to eat only what you need, and to exercise a little self control. Ask them to keep the bread away from your seat, if that's what you need, but let them have it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kk811 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to check in and see how everyone goes about dealing with people that are negative about them losing weight or getting healthy?

Do you mean IRL or here on MFP?

:wink:
    I have a friend that I go to the gym with...but will call me things like "lazy" when I slow down during a workout or have to miss a gym day.

That's probably well-intentioned brotivation. But if it bothers you, you certainly have a right to tell him to "lighten up, Francis".
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    In respect of the friend, it might be that putting up with them giving you stick when you slow down or miss a day is the price you pay for them otherwise helping you.

In respect of the bread - dude, this is your thing, not theirs. Let them have their bread. Just don't eat it. Imagine the other side of this story to be someone asking "How do you deal with people who go on a health kick and all of a sudden want me to not eat bread at a restauarant, just because they're on a diet?"
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I suppose I just got used to it and continued doing things that support the way I want to live. It definitely is not easy though. As far as your friends comments? Ugh. How good of a friend do you consider him? If it's just a casual frienship I'd suggest deflecting by asking him about his workouts since it seems like he may be the type that likes to talk about himself. Or you may even just say "I'm doing what's best for me and what I want to do right now" then put some physical distance between you two or end the conversation.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    justjack18 wrote: »

Agreed.

I really don't get how a workout buddy giving you stick for missing a workout, or a dinner-mate wanting bread on the table amounts to jealousy. I see this all the time, it seems to be peoples go-to answer, but I really don't think it's the right one nearly as often as people seem to think...
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the idea that people are jealous. I think that's kind of an immature thought, and it reminds me of what my mother told me when I was 12 and got braces. If OP's friend is in good shape, I doubt he'd be jealous over missed workouts.

If you don't want their input, tell them to stop. Say something like "I don't appreciate you putting me down, it doesn't motivate me." then, move on with your life. Accept that everyone you meet won't shoot rainbows out their *kitten*.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think at some point you just get used to it and are able to filter it out and ignore it. If it bothers you, tell your friend that he's hurting your feelings and you'd appreciate if he kept those comments to himself. For the bread, I'd say just let it go. You learn to not want it anymore and it becomes a non issues. I found the best way I've been able to deal with these type of situations is to face them head on instead of trying to avoid them or ways around them. But alas, we all deal differently. This is just my opinion and what helps me. Good luck.
  • paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I deal with it all the time. The people I work with make fun of me when I pass on the cupcakes or donuts. "Oh we forgot, you only eat lettuce". I let it go cause while I'm slimming down they're struggling to zip their pants and wishing they'd have eaten better before summer got here....
  • mustardyellowshirt
    mustardyellowshirt Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Honestly, at this point, negativity would fuel me....I, however, am surrounded by people who just don't care one way or another how I am or what I'm doing. I had a huge milestone life event on Friday and not ONE of my closest family or friends asked me how it went. *shrug* Whatever, right?
    If someone were being negative to me I would eat it and burn it!!!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,541 Member
    Options
    Why can't bread be on the table? I understand getting in shape, but we also shouldn't expect others to adopt our same lifestyle. If there's things you're restricting, that's on you and not everybody else. As far as your gym friend goes, maybe he thinks he's motivating you? He may continue to think that until you tell him otherwise.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    justjack18 wrote: »

Agreed.

I really don't get how a workout buddy giving you stick for missing a workout, or a dinner-mate wanting bread on the table amounts to jealousy. I see this all the time, it seems to be peoples go-to answer, but I really don't think it's the right one nearly as often as people seem to think...

I agree. Neither of these examples seem like jealousy. It's a highly motivated person holding you to a similar standard, and people who like to eat bread. Calling it jealousy doesn't help at all. And it's not really negativity, it's just people going about their lives.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    1. I don't miss gym days. If that's the issue and you truly have a problem with what sounds like the guy is trying to motivate you, talk to him about it.
    2. I let people eat bread. Other people shouldn't need to change in order to make things easier for me (not that I have anything against bread anyway).

It's not jealousy. Seriously people, stop claiming that EVERYTHING is jealousy.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've gotten really good at 1) ignoring BS 2) doing what I want. My husband is the person who most often is the source of negative comments. For example, he often tells me that running is bad for my joints, even though current research doesn't support that. He also likes to tell me that I'm doing the wrong exercises. Somebody who is 'big' like me shouldn't be jumping around. For the most part, I don't exercise where he can see me. But occasionally I do end up telling him to just shut up about it. Hell, I'm 51. Its my body and I'm gonna do w/ it what I want. I don't have high blood pressure, my cholesterol is under control. Granted, the BMI calculators still say I'm obese. But at least its not morbidly obese anymore.

So, I spent some serious cash on a better than average pair of running shoes. I'll go for a run at lunch tomorrow and enjoy myself.
  • mustardyellowshirt
    mustardyellowshirt Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Laura732 wrote: »
    I've gotten really good at 1) ignoring BS 2) doing what I want. My husband is the person who most often is the source of negative comments. For example, he often tells me that running is bad for my joints, even though current research doesn't support that. He also likes to tell me that I'm doing the wrong exercises. Somebody who is 'big' like me shouldn't be jumping around. For the most part, I don't exercise where he can see me. But occasionally I do end up telling him to just shut up about it. Hell, I'm 51. Its my body and I'm gonna do w/ it what I want. I don't have high blood pressure, my cholesterol is under control. Granted, the BMI calculators still say I'm obese. But at least its not morbidly obese anymore.

So, I spent some serious cash on a better than average pair of running shoes. I'll go for a run at lunch tomorrow and enjoy myself.
    I can relate to this. Even unintentionally, my husband can be a Debby downer, and a major sabotager. Haha. Good on you for going for it anyway!!

• slowbutsure2
    Options
    Be straight with people. Tell them it's not helpful.