My teeth are too sweet...!

Options
thatgirlmunster
thatgirlmunster Posts: 10
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am guilty of being unable to abstain, even a little bit, from anything sweet. I love it all (apart from liquorice) and rather than just lose weight I'm also here to find alternatives from the sugary treats that are commonly found in supermarkets.

I want healthy skin, a fit body and to avoid sugar crashes. I aim to live as healthy a lifestyle as possible so have solid foundations; but you can never be too good!

I'm new to all this, if I can share support and be a willing recipient of any great tips you have then that would be cool.

(Also, I'm British. Not that it makes a difference but I noticed nationality seems to be mentioned a little bit on here).

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there'll be an influx of advice about eating frozen cauliflower or drinking a glass of water.

However, if you're anything like me in regards to the sweet stuff, and you sound like you are, your best bet is to eat it in moderation within a well thought out and nutritionally balanced dietary intake.
  • thatgirlmunster
    Options
    Thank you CityRuss! I find my love of sweet stuff too hard to curb so I am trying to adhere to the moderation thing as well replacing typical sweet foods with dried fruit.

I also replace sugar with honey where I can.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I can't keep them in the house. I eat the whole package!

So every day before I go home I buy a single serve portion of whatever I want. I don't drive all the way back for another one so, when it's finished, it's finished.

There are lots of single serve treats out there. All ice cream cones and sticks are single serve, all chocolate bars (45-50g) are single serve. I find little packs with 4 cookies in them, they are single serve. And if I want something indulgent like cake, there's my supermarket's bakery. I ask them for 1 slice of cake, or 1 brownie, or 1 doughnut ect.

That's my version of moderation.
  • thatgirlmunster
    Options
    That's brilliant advice Leana088, I have tried a variation of that by only purchasing sweet foods when I crave them and limiting my serving to one but I always falter and deviate from the plan.

I even bought a tiny little biscuit tin to limit my intake (!)

Seeing my diet plan laid bare has really given me renewed focus though.
  • workedog
    workedog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need some keto candy!

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2014/10/best-low-carb-keto-candy-recipes.html

That list is full of candy recipes which substitute sugar and HFCS for natural low-calorie sweeteners.

I have only had the chocolate peanut butter cups so far, but I'm planning to try more of these. While they aren't quite the same as the real thing they are almost as good and the best part is there's much less sugar.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    That's brilliant advice Leana088, I have tried a variation of that by only purchasing sweet foods when I crave them and limiting my serving to one but I always falter and deviate from the plan.

I even bought a tiny little biscuit tin to limit my intake (!)

Seeing my diet plan laid bare has really given me renewed focus though.

I struggled too in the beginning, but I just kind of kept going. Moderation is a skill to be learned, it doesn't happen overnight. :wink: You just kind of need to keep trying and be persistent.

I wish I could moderate like other people with the sweets in the house, but learning this method has been my saving grace, and I don't feel like it's the "wrong way". I just love sweets too much to be able to let it sit there and not be eaten.... :stuck_out_tongue:
  • thatgirlmunster
    Options
    workedog wrote: »
    It sounds like you need some keto candy!

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2014/10/best-low-carb-keto-candy-recipes.html

That list is full of candy recipes which substitute sugar and HFCS for natural low-calorie sweeteners.

OMG THANK YOU! *immediately scours website*

• erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There's tons of healthier treats that you can make to satisfy that sweet tooth! Single serve treats are a good idea, I utilize those. Chocolate (and other flavors) protein powder sounds like it can make some delicious recipes! The forums are full of ideas for healthier treats.

-"cookie dough" dip: plain greek yogurt, peanut butter, vanilla extract, mini chocolate chips, a little bit of honey or maple syrup

-mint smoothie: spinach, almond milk, fresh mint, greek yogurt, bit of honey or maple syrup

-jello sugar free pudding snacks

-Apple dip: yogurt, pb, cinnamon, vanilla

-frozen bananas pb sandwhiches: slices of banana spread with a creamed mix of a banana and pb

-Google, pinterest (I have a whole board newly devoted to healthy treats: https://www.pinterest.com/erinelizabeth28/healthy-treats/), and this forum will give lots of ideas!
  • thatgirlmunster
    Options
    I'm going to follow your pintrest board erinelizabeth882, I hope you don't mind? Those reicipes sound yummy B)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I just have 200-300 calories of sweets daily... I've been on MFP for over 2 years and in my experience, I lose weight when I have sweets... and don't lose when I don't, because I end up binging. My goal is 1800 (including exercise), obviously if it was less I'd limit it to 100 or something... but I'd still have something.
  • thatgirlmunster
    Options
    Thank you Francl27, I think setting aside calories for sweets is a really good idea which I will try to adhere to...!
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I use to be the same way. I actually went cold turkey. The first few weeks were hard, but it REALLY pays off.
  • kaitlinrt
    kaitlinrt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I really believed all the 'you will adjust' advice was BS until I actually started cutting down my sweets. Now really sugar stuff just makes me feel ill.

I still plan to have sweets most days, I just prefer to have Dove chocolates that come individually wrapped. Just a few of those really satisfies me and it's only about 44 calories per individual piece.
  • thatgirlmunster
    Options
    This is really weak but I'm too scared to even consider cold turkey. I might swallow my pathetic fears and try it for a week...
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I have been eating sweet things in moderation (one square of chocolate - well two...!). Then gave up chocolate for Lent and except for one day when it was really hard, I have found that eating savoury snacks (a bit of cheese and an oatcake is a favourite) has been enough to keep the sugar/chocolate cravings away. Like kaitlinrt, I think I do less well with sweet things now than I did.
  • mausbop
    mausbop Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I think the best way would be preparing your sweets, so you keep yourself busy and actually know what you are going to eat. Maybe you'll also have some fun? :D
    There are so many recipes with low calories that are super yummy, like erinelizabeth882 already shared.
    I love cookies so I'll make sure to find some good healthy recipes to prepare them :#
  • thatgirlmunster
    Options
    Thank you both, much appreciated! I think I'm going to search for recipes and prepare my own sweets, as I feel way more satisfied eating natural sweet alternatives (such as dried mango, goji berries etc) than I do with artificial crap.

Part of the problem is my body really doesn't process any type of junk, red meat or alcohol very well due to a medical condition. Hence why I try to be very careful about what I put in my body and am being realistic about my sweet tooth and finding better ways to satisfy it!

• littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Two things that really do help me are low sugar hot chocolate and Sugar-free Werther's Caramels. I also get the chocolate ones when I can find them. Im going to try a protein shake with ice and almond milk to see if that would be a good thing for summer.

I also keep the mix for the 3 2 1 microwave cake made up. If I really crave cake, I can make one of them for around 81 calories in less than two minutes.
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I also have a sweet tooth and I really enjoy baking, so the best way I've been able to satisfy my sweet tooth is to make my own treats. This way I can control/track what goes into them and what ingredients are used. You can find a lot of "healthier" ingredient substitutions and recipes online - especially Pinterest!
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    moderation is something I struggle with, but am desperate to get my head around it.
    single serve things are good!