Nothing can stop you, except yourself.

Options
Have you ever thought to yourself "I can't do it. I try and try but all fails"? Yes you can do it. The only thing holding you back is your inner judgmental self. I was there. I was very overweight once (close to obese, at 187 pounds). I tried different things that I thought would help me lose weight but nothing was working. Also, I was blaming (without realizing it). "It's my depression. It's my birth control. It's my medications. It's my tubal. It's my metabolism. I'm too tired. I can't do anything right. Blah blah blah." Well one day when I took a close look in the mirror, felt sluggish and struggled to get my clothes on, I realized that there must be something I'm doing wrong. I decided to attempt to make a change, a real change (though with somewhat low motivation to start). In all honesty, I didn't have high hopes at first but after realizing all the excuses I was making, I felt that something had to be done. First I eliminated sodas which resulted in 5 pounds lost. I felt a bit better though wasn't sure if it was coincidental but I looked at myself again and decided to continue. Next, I eliminated juices and other sugary drinks along with a few desserts which resulted in 5 more pounds gone. I also decreased my portion sizes. After losing 10 pounds and recovering from surgery, I began exercising but switched from cardio to weight training. I also no longer drank my calories and instead water. I also decreased my dessert intake even more. After a few months, I had lost 20 pounds (from a size 11 to a size 8). I continued this healthy eating and intense exercise pattern by switching simple carbs (white rice/pasta/bread) to complex carbs (brown rice/whole wheat and beans), and eliminated almost every dessert except dark chocolate and on rare occasion cheesecake or pie. I increased my workouts and reps. I included ab exercises. After a year, I had lost 50 pounds and dropped to a size 3-5. I've been continuing this pattern except smaller more frequent portion sizes and 70 oz of water (or more) a day, more reps, included squats, healthy snacks, and high protein. It's been almost 2 years and I've lost 64 pounds, over 15% body fat and am now a size 0-2. Everyone has potential and the ability to do the same. The only thing that can stop you is yourself (the judgmental side). Don't let it. And most of all, don't let yourself make excuses. Depression didn't stop me (I actually meditate which is highly effective for stress and depression). Birth control didn't stop me (it made me feel hungrier but in the end it was up to me to resist a snack or not, and same goes for my prescription meds). My tubal didn't stop me (I was aching for a while but I didn't quit). My "tiredness" was a side effect of a medication but that's what hydration and high protein foods are for. I lost my first 10 pounds without any exercise anyways so even if/when feeling tired, weight loss is mostly based off of eating habits. Speaking of my surgery, it was a pacemaker. But I realized I couldn't use that as an excuse either and I didn't. The point I'm trying to make is, you can either keep trying until you finally reach your goal or you can blame and complain. The only one who stands in your way is yourself. This is my success story and I've learned that excuses are NOT an option.

ilbx54.jpg

60349454.png

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! Way to get it!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Wowza! What inspiration. I totally remember feeling the way you did at the start of my commitment to weight loss and health.

You look amazing and I'm sure you feel amazing too, great results and great story!!!
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Awesome work. You look great.
  • slbale
    slbale Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 18 of my new lifestyle, I really needed to read this today! Great inspiration!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look fantastic, thank you for sharing your story!
  • yarushajimenez411
    yarushajimenez411 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring and amazing that you became the person you had envisioned
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Congrats and thanks for sharing your story!
  • heathmc9907
    heathmc9907 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very nice. Great to know small changes started your transformation and motivated you more and more. I think we would all be better off taking the small victories and adding to them.
  • minniemickey
    minniemickey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! Thank you!
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You're welcome. Good luck to you all (those who are still on the journey).
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Pacemaker buddy! High five! My most recent surgery was a year ago this coming Thursday and have really only been hitting the gym in the last month, after realising the same thing you have - that I am the only reason I am not where I want to be. Mind you I also did three hikes in the interim so I haven't exactly been a couch potato since my surgery, but same as you, I'm not one to use it as an excuse. Nope, recovery was an excuse for a month or two, and I'll just have to own my laziness for the rest! Thanks for the inspiration :smile:
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought to yourself "I can't do it. I try and try but all fails"? Yes you can do it. The only thing holding you back is your inner judgmental self. I was there. I was very overweight once (close to obese, at 187 pounds). I tried different things that I thought would help me lose weight but nothing was working. Also, I was blaming (without realizing it). "It's my depression. It's my birth control. It's my medications. It's my tubal. It's my metabolism. I'm too tired. I can't do anything right. Blah blah blah." Well one day when I took a close look in the mirror, felt sluggish and struggled to get my clothes on, I realized that there must be something I'm doing wrong. I decided to attempt to make a change, a real change (though with somewhat low motivation to start). In all honesty, I didn't have high hopes at first but after realizing all the excuses I was making, I felt that something had to be done. First I eliminated sodas which resulted in 5 pounds lost. I felt a bit better though wasn't sure if it was coincidental but I looked at myself again and decided to continue. Next, I eliminated juices and other sugary drinks along with a few desserts which resulted in 5 more pounds gone. I also decreased my portion sizes. After losing 10 pounds and recovering from surgery, I began exercising but switched from cardio to weight training. I also no longer drank my calories and instead water. I also decreased my dessert intake even more. After a few months, I had lost 20 pounds (from a size 11 to a size 8). I continued this healthy eating and intense exercise pattern by switching simple carbs (white rice/pasta/bread) to complex carbs (brown rice/whole wheat and beans), and eliminated almost every dessert except dark chocolate and on rare occasion cheesecake or pie. I increased my workouts and reps. I included ab exercises. After a year, I had lost 50 pounds and dropped to a size 3-5. I've been continuing this pattern except smaller more frequent portion sizes and 70 oz of water (or more) a day, more reps, included squats, healthy snacks, and high protein. It's been almost 2 years and I've lost 64 pounds, over 15% body fat and am now a size 0-2. Everyone has potential and the ability to do the same. The only thing that can stop you is yourself (the judgmental side). Don't let it. And most of all, don't let yourself make excuses. Depression didn't stop me (I actually meditate which is highly effective for stress and depression). Birth control didn't stop me (it made me feel hungrier but in the end it was up to me to resist a snack or not, and same goes for my prescription meds). My tubal didn't stop me (I was aching for a while but I didn't quit). My "tiredness" was a side effect of a medication but that's what hydration and high protein foods are for. I lost my first 10 pounds without any exercise anyways so even if/when feeling tired, weight loss is mostly based off of eating habits. Speaking of my surgery, it was a pacemaker. But I realized I couldn't use that as an excuse either and I didn't. The point I'm trying to make is, you can either keep trying until you finally reach your goal or you can blame and complain. The only one who stands in your way is yourself. This is my success story and I've learned that excuses are NOT an option.

ilbx54.jpg

60349454.png

Great post! You are so right.

• r_wilson9
    r_wilson9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great! Great story and most of all I'm glad you are at your healthiest!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Wowza. Great results.
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks, you all. All of us have potential. It's just about finding it. And remember to ignore those who attempt to discourage you in the process. There were multiple people who made fun of me when I was overweight (my sister, my ex-boyfriend, co-workers, etc.) but I couldn't blame them for "making" me feel upset about my weight so eventually I gained enough motivation to ignore all rude comments and judgement. Optimism and pride is your best friend.
  • gems1313
    gems1313 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

ilbx54.jpg

60349454.png

Thank you!! I needed to heard this! Xx
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought to yourself "I can't do it. I try and try but all fails"? Yes you can do it. The only thing holding you back is your inner judgmental self. I was there. I was very overweight once ...

But I realized I couldn't use that as an excuse either and I didn't. The point I'm trying to make is, you can either keep trying until you finally reach your goal or you can blame and complain. The only one who stands in your way is yourself. This is my success story and I've learned that excuses are NOT an option.

So, so true!

My (obese) gut stayed for years, until my head got with the program. After that light bulb flicked on, it took less than 9 months to go from a BMI of 40 to a BMI of 25 ... not only was I 15 points lower on the BMI scale, I felt/feel 15 years younger than when I started.

Don't let excuses get in your way.
  • JoKessho
    JoKessho Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Great post! I just did this same thing this morning - gave myself the pep-talk of "only you can do this." It's very encouraging to see that the same advice I gave myself this morning has worked for others :smile: Thank you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!