Fitbit and logging

Options
zapslr
zapslr Posts: 12 Member
i have a fitbit and its synced with mfp.

If I do an elliptical workout and burn 425 calories my Fitbit logs the steps but doesn't realize it's anything more then walking (& I do hill programs on levels 9-13 so it's far more then just walking).

I log my elliptical workout into mfp and the calories burned and they show up on the fitbit app as well. But in mfp it shows the workout I logged as well as more calories burned that it's pulling from the fitbit app, let's say 400, so mfp is telling me I burned a tota of 825. Is that right? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any insight on this.

If it matters it's a Fitbit one that I clip to my bra, and in the Fitbit app there's not a way (that I know of) to tell it "this 30 min chunk of steps was actually on an elliptical".

Thanks
Shanna

Replies

• fat2fitvegan
    fat2fitvegan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit that is synced with MFP. I only enter my exercise on the fitbit and only enter my food on MFP. On the fitbit website, it has a place where you can enter the type of exercise as well as duration and calories burned (if you know it), and it will "overwrite" any previous activity during that timeframe that the fitbit has logged. Fitbit does great on tracking step-related activities like running or walking, but any more than that needs the manual entering.

I'd recommend checking out the Fitbit Users group here and read through the popular posts so you know how Fitbit and MFP sync

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • zapslr
    zapslr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I will read thru them, thank you ! I don't go on the Fitbit website much but do use the app on my phone for fitbit- do you know if there is a way in my app for fitbit to tell it that I was on an elliptical or is that only on the website?
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a zip and when I log my exercise in MFP I make sure to also log the specific time of the exercise and from what I understand Fitbit then cancels out your calorie count for that time span (meaning it doesn't give you any steps from that time in MFP.)
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've upgraded from the One to the Surge. The Surge rocks because you can log right on your watch what you're doing and it automatically syncs that information. That all I said, I know it's not an economical gadget by any means compared to the other Fitbit models. I do believe you are able to log exercise on the app, though I could be wrong. If not, it's most definitely worth getting on the website to ensure you're getting everything you can out of your investment.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    When I had the One, you could hold down a button, and let it know when you were starting your exercise, and then do it again to end it. Then when you log your exercise on MFP, you put it in as 1 calorie, and fitbit adjusts it to the calories you actually burned. I'm sure it still works that way, I just don't want to assume. I'm sorry that my description of what to do is so vague, I really don't remember. I've bee using the Flex for quite a while now, and have a poor memory.