Life after an eating disorder

I'm 29 years old, a mother, and a full time nursing student. Growing up I was always overweight and topped out at 196 by the 7th grade. Before my 8th grade year I lost 45 pounds and kept shedding weight all through high school. I graduated in 2004 at a very healthy weight and was unrecognizable. By 2007 I found myself barely hanging on to life. Anarexia nervosa became my life, my identity. I spent several years in and out of hospitals and was even committed to an adult psych unit for my condition. In 2010 my life was saved. God gave me a reason I love my body again. He gave me my beautiful daughter. Savannah is now 4 years old and I am on this journey to show her how to love herself no matter what her size is. I am public about my struggle because I know I'm not alone. There is no shame in asking for help. If my story of struggle and how I came out of it can help someone then that is what I'm here for! I'm hoping to find so many friends on here to help encourage along the way! Remember YOU have a purpose. God gives us one life so make the most of each day and love yourself!

Replies

• Well said. New here lots to loose. Had eating and addiction in past. I know what its like not to be able to see "real self" and we all can use support
  • ;) you're not alone!
  • FormerMarine1
    FormerMarine1 Posts: 1,128 Member
    I have a disorder of compulsive working out and exercising. I grew up being bullied in school and was the weakest kid in school. From that point I have worked out endlessly. I got to the point of doing 880 lbs. on the hack squat machine for sets of 15 just this past December. I thought I was doing very well. Then in February of this year I had an accident when I slipped and fell on my apartment steps causing spondylolisthesis in my L5 S1 vertebrae. I have unbearable pain and am attempting conservative treatment and physical therapy. If it fails I face spinal fusion surgery. With all of this comes the problem of not being able to work out and further stresses me out. The comparison is we try to hide our pain by creating a disorder.. our anxieties coping mechanisms feel good to us but in reality we are only putting a band aid over our infectious wounds. Maybe things happen in life to get us back to where we really need to be in ourselves. Thank you for the courage to share your story with us. I wish you and your daughter a beautiful life together.

Ed
  • Thank you Ed!! Thank you for sharing
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    I had EDNOS for 17 years. Now 27 and I just completed my first round if Insanity and eating all my calories everyday.
  • Very inspirational! It's crazy how much I missed in life when I was spending so much time focused on ED