New quinoa ideas

Options
teddymann78
teddymann78 Posts: 7 Member
Anyone have any good recipes cooking with quinoa ? I made a Mediterranean salad off the site here and it was yum!

Replies

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I made broccoli cheese quinoa cups, they were good. http://mywholefoodlife.com/2015/01/09/broccoli-cheese-quinoa-bites/
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I like making veggie fried rice with quinoa instead of rice!
    http://damndelicious.net/2012/10/19/quinoa-veggie-fried-rice-and-a-giveaway/
  • teddymann78
    teddymann78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! Thanks!
  • mommy91az541
    mommy91az541 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good recipes cooking with quinoa ? I made a Mediterranean salad off the site here and it was yum!
    I can't even find it :/ been wanting to make chicken tenders with it
  • buggie1101
    buggie1101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some times it is in the baking isle of your grocery store and some times it is with the rice and grains.
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I find Quinoa in the boxed Rice isle.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I made an interesting hors d'oeuvres based on quinoa:

1. Cook up a batch of quinoa, lightly salted. Then fluff it and let it cool a bit.

2. While it cools, fry some chopped bacon. Drain most of the fat, and add in some finely chopped onion, serrano pepper, and minced garlic, and fry til the onion is translucent.

3. Mix the bacon and veggies into the quinoa.

4. Now mix in some grated cheese (i used sharp cheddar) and some chunks of cream cheese, and mix it up well.

5. Final addition: mix in an egg or two, as a binder.

6. Lightly grease a mini-muffin tray (i use a 24 count tray) and spoon the mixture into the tray.

7. bake in a pre-heated oven for about 40-45 minutes, until golden brown.

8. Let them cool, and enjoy!
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like mixing quinoa with pomegranate or chiffonade brussel sprouts and some bacon and mix it in with quinoa, that's also yummy.

I had quinoa porridge with vanilla the other day, that was interesting and a new way to eat it, filling.

There are a ton of recipes for the first two suggestions, I haven't looked for the porridge yet, but will (I had it at Whole Foods).
  • Ccearns76
    Options
    Cook 1/2 cup quinoa, finely slice 1 cup kale, grate 1 sweet potatoe, sprinkle in salt, pepper to taste. in mixing bowl combine and mix all with 1 raw egg.
    Fry on med heat in coconut oil.
    Use your favorite dipping sauce.
    Sweet potato patties!
  • fansiefree
    fansiefree Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I made a Quinoa Enchilada Casserole over the weekend and it was excellent! I used a quinoa and brown rice blend to thicken the texture.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup quinoa
    1 (10-ounce) can Old El Paso™ mild enchilada sauce
    1 (4.5-ounce) can Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles, drained
    1/2 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
    1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
    3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
    1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
    1 Roma tomato, diced

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8x8 or 2 quart baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
    In a large bowl, combine quinoa, enchilada sauce, green chiles, corn, black beans, cilantro, cumin and chili powder; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
    Spread quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses. Place into oven and bake until bubbly and cheeses have melted, about 15 minutes.
    Serve immediately, garnished with avocado and tomato, if desired.

Link: http://damndelicious.net/2014/07/07/quinoa-enchilada-casserole/
  • cortsky
    cortsky Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The Enchilada casserole listed above is absolutely delicious. I make it every other week, only I make the enchilada sauce from scratch and I use fresh chilies that I bake in the oven. I top it with homemade pico de gallo, olives, and chopped avocados. It is a must-try.

You can also use quinoa to make a mushroom "risotto" and I used it the other night to make a corn casserole.

Quinoa fried rice is delicious. As well as quinoa stuffed bell peppers. My husband uses quinoa in his chili rellenos and it is amazing.

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    fansiefree wrote: »
    I made a Quinoa Enchilada Casserole over the weekend and it was excellent! I used a quinoa and brown rice blend to thicken the texture.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup quinoa
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1 Roma tomato, diced

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8x8 or 2 quart baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
    In a large bowl, combine quinoa, enchilada sauce, green chiles, corn, black beans, cilantro, cumin and chili powder; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
    Spread quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses. Place into oven and bake until bubbly and cheeses have melted, about 15 minutes.

Have you made this with Red Quinoa? I haven't made anything with this kind yet but have a box of it in my pantry.
    sounds really yummy!
  • fansiefree
    fansiefree Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    fansiefree wrote: »

INGREDIENTS

1 cup quinoa
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1 Roma tomato, diced

INSTRUCTIONS

Have you made this with Red Quinoa? I haven't made anything with this kind yet but have a box of it in my pantry.
    sounds really yummy!

I haven't tried the red quinoa alone, but I have tried quinoa blends, as well as quinoa with brown rice, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Give it a try! :smile:
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I like making Quinoa & Bean salad. Very simple and really good if you like beans.

I use tri-color mix quinoa because it looks prettier (lol yes, that's the only reason). This makes 2 servings.

1/2 C dry quinoa - cook in chicken stock or water with chicken bullion
    1/2 C black beans
    1/2 C chickpeas

Mix the beans in at the tail end of steaming the quinoa and steam it all together for a few minutes. That's all there is to it. You can swap out beans too, I made a white bean version with navy beans and cannelli beans that was just as delicious.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Very Pinteresting............
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options

Costco is one of the best places to buy it for a great price. It is really overpriced at the supermarket. But I'd probably buy a small package there first to see if you like it, as the Costco bag is pretty large. I absolutely love it!
  • bob108819
    bob108819 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Target sells it in a one pound bag in their Simply Balanced line. There is a recipe on the bag that is delicious.

1C quinoa
    1 can black beans
    1 can corn
    1 red bell pepper
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 tsp cumin
    2 TBS olive oil
    3 TBS lime juice

Cook quinoa.
    Mix corn, black beans, chopped red bell pepper, and cilantro in large bowl. Mix in cooked quinoa.
    In separate bowl, mix cumin, oil, and lime juice, then mix into quinoa blend.

Serve hot or cold. I prefer it warmed up. It is delicious!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »

Costco is one of the best places to buy it for a great price. It is really overpriced at the supermarket. But I'd probably buy a small package there first to see if you like it, as the Costco bag is pretty large. I absolutely love it!

Do you have an Aldi nearby? They have it for a pretty reasonable price as well (not Costco reasonable, but you don't have to buy a 17 pound bag).

In regular grocery stores check the "Natural Foods" area or the "Gluten Free" area, as I often see it there as well.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like to make Quinoa Tabbouleh. Use any standard tabbouleh recipe using quinoa instead of bulgar. Subbing lemon juice and parsley with lime juice and cilantro is also excellent. Many standard recipes can be found on line.

ETA: Ha! It's much like the recipe above only it has small diced cucumbers and fresh tomatoes instead of the beans/corn/peppers.
  • carafes
    carafes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    sautéed spinach, kale, garlic and green onions, added quiona and drizzled honey ginger balsamic vinegar... yummy! had it for lunch