How am I not losing weight?!?!?!

Options
I havent lost, or gained, a pound in 2 weeks.. I exercise EVERY day, I dont eat crap, and I NEVER go over my calories for the day... I DONT GET IT!!! Im officially FRUSTRATED!!!

Seriously.. FREAKIN FRUSTRATED!!!!!

I feel better because im not putting all the funky **** in my body, but i work so hard exercising, 2-3 times a day, 5-7 days a week.. how is it possible that i cant lose weight???? I mean really, how in the hell is that possible???

Replies

• britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    Are you eating to your total calories? You need to eat to your total calories otherwise your body will go into starvation mode, which can cause you to not lose weight...

Secondly... you could be losing fat but gaining muscle, so your weight is staying the same. Even better than using the scale is to take measurements so you know when you lose inches :)
  • Larommi
    Larommi Posts: 25
    Options
    Depending on what your exercises are it is entirely possible that you are exchanging fat weight for muscle weight. Don't be discouraged. It is a good thing to tone your body. Give it a bit more time. You might find that your weight does not drop but your clothes fit better.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i think you need to plan ahead more and eat more!

On the days i'm going to the gym i log my exersie in the morning and eat slighly bigger meals all day so i'm not left with lots to eat in the evening.. my diary is public if you want to look my gym days are monday and wednesday.. Body pump!

Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you have just started exercising those two weeks ago, your body could be retaining water from the 'shock' you have just put it in to. Whenever I started a hard new workout routine I gained 2 lbs and after 2 weeks it went away plus my actual fat weight loss. Just stick to it, or maybe change up your work out routine.

Don't get discouraged, and good luck!
  • spr_chkn
    spr_chkn Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I didn't lose ANY weight the past week even with tremendous effort. I did however lose two inches. From my boobs. Excuse me - "chest". But we know that really means BOOBS. So unfair. Ticks me off.
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    I find that when I work out a lot -- burning 1,000 + calories / day I don't lose the weight but when I burn 500 / day I do. I think your body holds onto the weight because it thinks you're going to be burning that many calories and it will need it. I trained for a marathon and didn't lose a single pound.

Just a theory from my own experience.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I will tell you if you are not eating at least half your exercise calories, you may be in startvation mode. I had to literally up my calorie intake to 1550 and eat half my exercise calories before my body would allow weight lose.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I havent lost, or gained, a pound in 2 weeks.. I exercise EVERY day, I dont eat crap, and I NEVER go over my calories for the day... I DONT GET IT!!! Im officially FRUSTRATED!!!

Seriously.. FREAKIN FRUSTRATED!!!!!

I feel better because im not putting all the funky **** in my body, but i work so hard exercising, 2-3 times a day, 5-7 days a week.. how is it possible that i cant lose weight?

??? I mean really, how in the hell is that possible???

You may not be eating enough. I noticed many days were you are way under (more than 500 cals under) what MFP recommends. Being under your calories can be just as bad, or maybe worse, depending on your situation, than going over on caloires. Try to get all of your calories in and come out within 100 either over or under the recommendation.
  • butterfly0126
    Options
    Are you eating back your calories burned? I heard if you don't that it can have an effect. Try to eat at least half back. I have a problem with this and try to log everything in the morning, food and exercise so i know what i can eat for the day but it is hard. There are times i will get in my 1,200 and not be hungry to eat anything else.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's very possible. It happens to the best of us. It's very frustrating, but you have to try not to let it discourage you. I've been on plateaus before for nearly 4 weeks.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Looking over your diary... you're either not eating enough or exercising too much. Your body needs more fuel if you're going to burn massive amounts of calories.

Also, two weeks is too short of a time to even call it a plateau. The body is fickle and will drop the pounds when it's ready to drop them. The body doesn't use a calendar. :wink:
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Watch out for overexercising. That was a huge issue for me! My body was pissed at me because I was exercising way too much. And of course make sure to eat enough...your body will definitely be angry if it doesn't get enough food. And eat tons of greens...veggies are your best friend! Fruits should be in lesser amounts than veggies and I don't consume any after lunch anymore.
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I would suggest increasing water and watching sodium. Sodium causes your body to retain water therefore you will not lose weight water will help flush out the excess sodium.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It takes time for your body to adjust. I dropped 5lbs once I cleaned up my diet. I introduced exercising and the losses have virtually come to a stand-still and I'm okay with that. I know I'm training and building muscle so it's not a big deal. Don't let the number on the scale mess with you. It is just a number! Go by what you look like and how you feel.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary for the past few days ..I think its your choices in calories...I would suggest consuming more green leafy type foods ...also make sure the calories are correct just because its on MFP doesnt make it so...I noticed a Ham & Cheese sandwich you had stating 164 calories unless that was some sort of low calories bread 164 is low for that in caloric count ..my bread alone be it wheat or white comes to 160 calories ...just suggestions but I think you need to re-check your calories against the actual packaging...In addition 2 weeks is way to early to tell I think you should just concentrate more on overall health and benefits from exercising and less on what the scale shows...Good Luck
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    when i plateaued, i did 2 things....I zig zagged my cals and REALLY started watching my sodium intake! I also changed my goals....from wanting to lose 2 lbs a week to 1 lb a week....and really started drinking my water like it was going out of style! And BAM....no more plateau! Hope this helps:bigsmile:
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Looking through the last week of your diary, it looks like you're not eating enough. If you stay as close to MFPs allowance for the day (healthy choices of course) and eat back most of your exercise calories, you'll see changes.
  • Jenhal71
    Jenhal71 Posts: 10
    Options
    I was having the same problem. I'd heard positive things about calorie zig-zagging but hadn't ever tried it. I was recommened a website: freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm , so I tried it last week and I lost 3 lbs!! Give it a shot, maybe it will work for you too!! Good luck!
  • patattheshire
    patattheshire Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting having same problem now tom figure out how to break this cycle
  • MaysMom
    MaysMom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i think you need to plan ahead more and eat more!

On the days i'm going to the gym i log my exersie in the morning and eat slighly bigger meals all day so i'm not left with lots to eat in the evening.. my diary is public if you want to look my gym days are monday and wednesday.. Body pump!

Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey

Thank you for this info! Very informative and straight-forward. Much appreciated!