Losing weight as fast as possible?

Options
I am
5'5 143lbs, female 30% BMI
Essentially, I am a size 7 right now and I want to be a size 3. I'll be happy when I fit into my old jeans.

I've been going to the gym and monitoring my diet for a few weeks now and I've lost no weight. In fact, I think I've gained a pound. I believe my BMR is 1500, so how much should I eat/burn each day to lose weight?
Frankly I am confused about how many calories I should be intaking and whether I'm supposed to eat them back after working out and I think I might just be screwing up my metabolism by eating less than my BMR.

Some clarity would be nice. And I'd like to have lost some by summer, I'm getting very discouraged with the lack of results.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Set your goal to half a pound a week and eat that amount plus half your exercise calories. Since you're already at a healthy weight, you should throw out the idea of fast weight loss as that isn't going to happen in a healthy manner.

And to @moiserean‌, please visit Sparkteens as you are too young to use this site.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    "As fast as possible" = it's a recipe for disaster. Do it the healthy way and BE PATIENT.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I am
    Essentially, I am a size 7 right now and I want to be a size 3. I'll be happy when I fit into my old jeans.

I've been going to the gym and monitoring my diet for a few weeks now and I've lost no weight. In fact, I think I've gained a pound. I believe my BMR is 1500, so how much should I eat/burn each day to lose weight?
    Frankly I am confused about how many calories I should be intaking and whether I'm supposed to eat them back after working out and I think I might just be screwing up my metabolism by eating less than my BMR.

Some clarity would be nice. And I'd like to have lost some by summer, I'm getting very discouraged with the lack of results.

Check here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    it is pretty accurate when it comes to BMR.
    I have no idea where you are getting the 30 BMI, it is around 23 for you. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
    So, by your BMI you are in the healthy weight range, and what you are trying to do weight-wise it drop to the low end of the healthy BMI. Which will be hard amd unfortunately will require being really careful about your calories counting.
    I see you are barely out of your teens, so you need to keep in mind that some changes in your body might have nothing to do with gaining fat. It is natural for your body to become more curvy, and I think pretty much everyone goes through this phase of needing to adjust to a new size around this age (for some a bit earlier for some a bit later) because the body changes, without this meaning you got fat.
    So, I would suggest to look in the mirror and see what you do nto like about your body. If it is you see extra fat you would be happier without, then try for a while being super careful about your calorie counting (use a food scale), and eating about half your exercise calories back. Set a realistic goal of losing around 2-3 lbs per month and no more, and see how things are going after a couple of months.
    Try to figure out an exercse routine that is a combination of cardio and some strength training, it will help transform your body even if you do not lose weight.
    But do nto set goals like "fit into this pairs of jeans" at this age, if this is your only concern
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    MFP will tell you how many calories to eat, if you enter your information. When you log your exercise, MFP adds calories to your daily goal. You should eat your exercise calories to keep your daily calorie deficit constant, but there seems to be some problems with getting the correct number of exercise calories, so a lot of people choose not to eat all of them. Trial and error is the most accurate way to figure out what percentage of your exercise calories you should eat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Set your goal to half a pound a week and eat that amount plus half your exercise calories. Since you're already at a healthy weight, you should throw out the idea of fast weight loss as that isn't going to happen in a healthy manner.

And to @moiserean‌, please visit Sparkteens as you are too young to use this site.

This advice is the advice worth listening to

And the poster has changed his age to 18 I don't know how old he was initially
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the body looses at its own rate.

But I'd say quiting sugar in your diet has helped. You may go a little cold turkey to start with but after a few weeks the body will not crave sugar and you'll notice the weight loss.
    Sugar is in all things so choose carefully.

Also I'm on a 1200 cal a day. I go gym every other day sometimes to gym sometimes to a class depending on how I feel. Sometimes both!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the body looses at its own rate.

But I'd say quiting sugar in your diet has helped. You may go a little cold turkey to start with but after a few weeks the body will not crave sugar and you'll notice the weight loss.
    Sugar is in all things so choose carefully.

Also I'm on a 1200 cal a day. I go gym every other day sometimes to gym sometimes to a class depending on how I feel. Sometimes both!

There is no reason to quit sugar without a medical diagnosis
  • pupperoni101
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I am

Check here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    it is pretty accurate when it comes to BMR.
    I have no idea where you are getting the 30 BMI, it is around 23 for you. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
    So, by your BMI you are in the healthy weight range, and what you are trying to do weight-wise it drop to the low end of the healthy BMI. Which will be hard amd unfortunately will require being really careful about your calories counting.
    I see you are barely out of your teens, so you need to keep in mind that some changes in your body might have nothing to do with gaining fat. It is natural for your body to become more curvy, and I think pretty much everyone goes through this phase of needing to adjust to a new size around this age (for some a bit earlier for some a bit later) because the body changes, without this meaning you got fat.
    So, I would suggest to look in the mirror and see what you do nto like about your body. If it is you see extra fat you would be happier without, then try for a while being super careful about your calorie counting (use a food scale), and eating about half your exercise calories back. Set a realistic goal of losing around 2-3 lbs per month and no more, and see how things are going after a couple of months.
    Try to figure out an exercse routine that is a combination of cardio and some strength training, it will help transform your body even if you do not lose weight.
    But do nto set goals like "fit into this pairs of jeans" at this age, if this is your only concern

A trainer at the gym measured it for me when I joined and got my BMI to be 30. Does that make any difference?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Bmi is calculated with a standard formula. The trainer measured your body fat, which is something entirely different.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    "As fast as possible" = it's a recipe for disaster. Do it the healthy way and BE PATIENT.

that
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    What's the rush?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What's the rush?

This.

And is the goal even realistic? I missed the initial age but it is very possible that some or all of the weight gain is part of normal growth.
  • pupperoni101
    Options
    ^ I promise it is not normal weight gain. I gained twenty pounds in the past 9 months just from poor eating and exercising habits.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but that *is* "normal weight gain".

Anyway, MFP is not a place intended for people losing weight fast, so you're unlikely to find much love/support here.

Good luck!

:drinker:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ^ I promise it is not normal weight gain. I gained twenty pounds in the past 9 months just from poor eating and exercising habits.

Why is that not 'normal?'
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I did exactly that, and for the same reasons. I promise it was crappy, but totally normal.
  • rawmama232
    rawmama232 Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You could look up raw food diet, give it a try, so far it's working for me.
    How much pasta and grains, and dairy are you eating? Once I stopped eating those, I lost a lot of weight, probably water weight because it made me retain water.
    Also, have you tried isometrics? Bodyflex is a program that I lost inches with every single time, I just need to stick with it and not let vacation or holidays or anything else get in the way. 21 days to form a habit, working on that now :)
    I normally try and keep my calories between 1500-2000, eating the raw food diet foods. I ignore MFP when it says I should be "eating more because I burned 300 calories walking." That's the point, I want to burn calories to lose fat. That's why I say 1500 or above, because if you are saying you want to consume 1200, then burn 300 of more, you will need more calories for your body to stay healthy...at least that is what I take from the info I've read. If you want to, you can enter in your exercise at the end of the day so you don't get that confusing conflict of "now you can eat more food because you exercised" and see how many calories you've eaten, then when the day is finished, add in the exercise you did, and end that day's session. Does that make any sense? :)
    Gaining 20 pounds in 9 months could be normal, or not, depends on what type of foods you were eating. Lots of pastas and fast foods, yep, possible. I love pasta, but pasta loves my thighs and butt. LOL!
    Wishing you well, those extra pounds will come off! Don't give up, just seek for answers that work for you, and ignore negative people. Get moving, eat well, keep track of your food intake so you are aware of the amount of fat, carbs, proteins, etc, and calories, and you will make better choices. Eventually you'll be feeling a lot better! Now go drink a non-dairy smoothie :)
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,801 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP I feel like I'm reading my own story back when I was 18-ish. I am shorter than you but weighed about the same and just HAD to get down to 104 to fit in this great size 3 dress. I ate like a mouse and worked out like crazy and I got down to that size...for a short time. Once I went back to normal eating and normal activity levels, and had some life changes due to going to college, I gained it all back and then some. I wish there had been a site like this for me to turn to, where I could have gotten advice on how to lose weight the right way to keep it off long-term. Please listen to those that have advised you to take it slowly and not be so focused on the scale. You want to be healthy for life, not just for one pair of jeans.