CARDIO?!

Options
is it bad if I start off only doing cardio four to five times a week? the treadmill is like my bff! this is my second week on my weight loss journey! any suggestions?

Replies

• erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Are you asking if only doing cardio (as opposed to strength/resistance training) is ok, or if doing cardio only 4-5 times per week is ok?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful if you gave us some information so we could figure out what it is you're asking....
  • badaaz3308
    badaaz3308 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm asking is it ok if I only do cardio! this is my 3rd week today
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. You should exercise to meet specific fitness goals (strength, muscle mass, cardiovascular health, mobility, endurance, balance, agility, speed, etc.).
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is really important. When you lose weight, you lose muscle. If you lose a lot of muscle, the amount of calories your body burns on a daily basis will plummet, regardless of how much cardio you do. Lifting weights will help you preserve your muscle. Plus it looks good on you. Yoga is also a really good addition, decreases stress, increases flexibility and can increase strength as well (depending on the kind of yoga).
  • Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    badaaz3308 wrote: »
    I'm asking is it ok if I only do cardio! this is my 3rd week today

3rd week of what?

What are you trying to accomplish? Lose weight? How much weight? Trying to get fit? How fit? How fit are you now?

Etc etc etc.

You're not providing any context, so it's impossible to give meaningful feedback.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine. Strength training is also good, but there's not a darn thing wrong with cardio several days a week. It's certainly better than the alternative where the alternative is sitting on the couch. Plus, it burns some doggone calories, which helps with that whole eat at a calorie deficit thing you need to do if you're trying to lose weight.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine. Strength training is also good, but there's not a darn thing wrong with cardio several days a week. It's certainly better than the alternative where the alternative is sitting on the couch. Plus, it burns some doggone calories, which helps with that whole eat at a calorie deficit thing you need to do if you're trying to lose weight.

^ this

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio or you can do nothing. What is your goal? Weight loss?

You can lose weight sitting on your bum and doing nothing providing you cut calories to below what your body uses.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    is it bad if I start off only doing cardio four to five times a week?

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on your objectives.

Broadly:
    • To lose weight eat at a calorie deficit
    • To improve aerobic fitness and stamina - Cardiovascular work
    • To retain lean mass - resistance training of some kind

The three work in concert.

One can do any of the three, or any combination of the three, with a variety of outcomes. For most people a combination of all three will give solid general results.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    +1

You can do it several days a week if you wish, but your weight loss will be more effective if you do a combined mix of cardio and resistance workouts. Resistance work is important to help preserve lean muscle mass and thus maximise the % of fat loss. Most people who leave it till later regret they didnt start doing it at the same time as regular cardio. Weights give you benefits that cardio does not and vice versa.

The other question looked to be about fequency. yes you can do cardio several days a week, but you should ensure you have 1 complete rest day. Exercise will also depend not just on the frequency of attendance, but the duration and intensity of each session. Diration is obvious, but intensity and keeping it challenging is also important.

Imo get into your comfort zone so you are attending the gym regularly and then start a complementary resistance workout within a few weeks. It will benefit you, dont worry about being weak, you will make early progress. If you dont know what to do or lack confidence ask, maybe try one of the classes at the gym doing something like kettlebells and then you can transition to something more specific.
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I like this answer too
  • debsweetcakes
    Options
    Of course everyone is different.. but from personal experience, I did a lot of cardio, averaging about 15-30 miles per week for a 4 month peiord. I sure did lose fat but I became skinny fat.. Flabby skin but looked great in clothes. I then incorporated weight training and it helped my overall body composition. If I could do it over again, I would do both!
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Of course everyone is different.. but from personal experience, I did a lot of cardio, averaging about 15-30 miles per week for a 4 month peiord. I sure did lose fat but I became skinny fat..

What were your calories & macros during that phase?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    is it bad if I start off only doing cardio four to five times a week? the treadmill is like my bff! this is my second week on my weight loss journey! any suggestions?

You'll want to do more if you want to hit any goals at all, but it's better than nothing.

You should shoot for 6-8 hours a week, minimum, and if your goal is to drop weight, a caloric deficit.

6-8 hours per week? Methinks that is excessive, if you're calling THAT the minimum
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Yes cardio only works for weight loss.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

Huh?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

If you have no injury or other medical condition that makes it dangerous, then it's absolutely not bad. Exercise is rarely a bad thing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Huh?

I'm guessing that she meant doing just cardio works for weight loss, and not that cardio is the only thing that works for weight loss.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

LOL