Losing Weight and Facial Hair

Options
Alright, long time lurker with this being my first post. Be gentle.

Last year, when I started MFP and fell in love with eating healthy and exercising, I lost close to 40 pounds in about 5 months. I got to enjoy the experience of losing pounds, inches, and buying smaller clothes, but noticed something that is a bit disconcerting: facial hair.

I've always had the annoying, but very light, dark upper lip shadow. Hardly noticeable. My mother also has it along with a few chin hairs, so I figured I got it from her (thanks, Mom). Anyway, I lost the weight and suddenly I've got enough dark chin hairs popping out that they're threatening to riot and become a beard while, above them, my mini-stache decides it wants to have a life too and starts pushing out dark hairs of its own. Then there's my side burns. They were always light but noticeable if you were uncomfortably close to my face. but, they too, have decided to riot. I have to pluck long, dark, CURLY hairs from them at least once a week. Now, the worst part, in my opinion, is the newest addition to my determined-to-be-male face. I now have these lovely, long dark hairs population the underside of my chin.

I'm a girl! Why is my face gender confused?! I know that losing weight can help LESSEN the hair, but why am I getting more? As far as I am aware, I do not have PCOS or any other condition that I am aware of. Basically, I'm curious to see if there's any other women out there dealing with this annoying issue and what they've done to combat it. If worse comes to worse, I'll bite the bullet and go see a doctor before I get back into the full swing of my old workout and eating habits.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Uncharacteristic facial hair growth can be a sign of malnutrition. However those are usually white hairs. I'm guessing you just have poor genetics in this area. Without any food logged there's no way to see if your consumption appears low for your needs.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor? It could be any number of things up to and including adrenal tumor. Needs to be worked up.
  • Helitorian
    Helitorian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Uncharacteristic facial hair growth can be a sign of malnutrition. However those are usually white hairs. I'm guessing you just have poor genetics in this area. Without any food logged there's no way to see if your consumption appears low for your needs.

Sorry but I forgot to mention that there is no food logging since mid-August of last year due to me losing someone very important in my life and the depression resulting from her death.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    get bloodwork done. some women though just produce more testosterone than others or it can be a side effect of some meds if you are taking any.
  • Helitorian
    Helitorian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor? It could be any number of things up to and including adrenal tumor. Needs to be worked up.

I haven't seen a doctor about it, but know I'm going to have to. I just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing the same thing and what they've done about it.
  • nbr071073
    nbr071073 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for PCOS?