eating makes me HUNGRY!

Options
A long time ago, I discovered that, when i eat anything in the morning i tend to get very hungry before lunch, not only i crave things but my stomach rumbles too. Especially when i start a day with something like fruit or cereal,i tried protein too, didn't help. I learned a long time ago that i'm better off skipping breakfast in general.
My first meal would be lunch, but same thing would happen in the afternoon, i crave things so badly, even though i might not be hungry.

For a few days, i've been trying to NOT eat until dinner, or like 6 o'clock and later, i realised if i have something small like a banana and a small yoghurt-not in the morning but at like lunch time- i'm way better off than when i have a full meal, until the end of the day. I don't have cravings, I obviously save calories for a nice dinner and i can even focus better.

Now, i know this is not a way of life, i can't not eat lunches and breakfasts forever, so can someone tell me what is the logic behind being hungry an hour after eating, and not being hungry for hours and hours if i haven't had anything (or i've had a small snack)?

Also, has anyone felt this way or is it just me?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast for the same reason. I don't see why it's not something I couldn't keep up with forever.

I don't know why I am happeir that way. Just am.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I sometimes experience the same, a feeling of something similar to hunger right after a meal, even after a well balanced and reasonably substantial meal. The only explanation I can think of, is that what we are feeling, is the emptying of the food from the stomach into the intestines, and we are more aware the guts working. When the digestive system is empty, there is no activity there either. That's why it can be easier to hold off breakfast as long as possible, and I often do that, more or less subconsciously.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Well currently i live alone, but when i am in my parent's house they insist i eat breakfast and lunch. Also one day i will have kids and i don't wanna give them a bad example of skipping meals, etc
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    Options
    @kommodevaran that makes a lot of sense! I guess i mistake that feeling with hunger!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Even as a kid I never really wanted to eat breakfast but was forced to by my mother. Skipping a meal because you're not hungry is okay.
  • rossinator63
    rossinator63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Eating a carb rich breakfast will spike your insulin levels and result in triggering hunger just a couple of hours later. Try just eggs or some other higher protein breakfast.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast to give me the low gi supply of energy, but 70% of my calories go on dinner. Im looking into the notion of the feaster and the programme the BBC Horizon series did on different types of dieters. feaster are people who dont produce a sufficient amounts of hormone to tell you when you are full. If i dont eat im not hungry, but when I do eat I need to eat a lot.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    What I would do is play with your fuel mix. Usually, at least this is what I've been told, you get hungry because your body needs fuel. I went through what you describe a few years ago. So, I ate when I was hungry, kept track of what/when I ate, and eventually did figure out that I'm one of those who has to have a complex carb and a protein at each feeding. Once I settled into a routine, more time elapsed between the hunger pangs.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    Options
    I know a lot of people here don't eat breakfast as a method to save calories and just simply because they are not hungry in the morning. But i realised i am also better off skipping lunch too! Have anyone of you tried this?
  • nicolef07
    nicolef07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel like eating when you are not hungry is a bad habit. If you are not hungry until mid-morning, then eat then. You do have to eat during the day, though. I know there are some foods that make me more hungry like bagels, pasta and sometimes peanut butter. What about more snacky foods like nuts, yogurt, etc.? It does not have to be a "meal" to be nourishing.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually 200 calories or less. I don't feel good eating a bigger breakfast.
    I really can't wait until lunch to eat anything. I get too hungry then.
    I generally do not feel like snacking until afternoon or evening and I just plan a snack for those times.

If you have eaten and are feeling like you want something have you tried drinking a glass of water and waiting 20 minutes to an hour to see if the feeling passes?
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    Options
    Oh i drink a lot of water at all times. This is probably unhealthy, so that's why i posted this, but i realised if i don't eat until evening my stomach kind of numbs out. I'm simply not hungry, but i know i'm not fuelling my body throughout the day either!