Fruit: yes or no

Options

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good but unfortunately I am allergic to a lot of it which makes me avoid all of it. I'm still pretty healthy though according to my blood work I had done at my last physical so I think it's good but not necessary.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a huge part of my daily intake! Yes, fruit is high in sugar but it also has so many nutrients that your body needs! And it tastes delicious!
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Vegetables over fruit my diet plan limits my intake of fruit I have one orange with breakfast some berries with my oatmeal for a snack and thats it I load up with vegetables
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    :D Fruit
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For real? Eating an apple rather than drinking apple juice will be harder work for your body as you need to break down the fibre etc. The sugar won't hit you in the same way as a packet of sweets. It's got to be about a BALANCED diet not cutting out natural foods.

Using fruit as a substitute for sauces is a good way to stay natural and get more vitamins in. E.g. Apple sauce (stewed in water, no added sugar) instead of a chutney or liquidised peaches in natural yoghurt instead of honey.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The fact that eating fruit as good or bad is even debatable is mind-boggling to me.

Eat your fruit...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    These posts about fruit worry me so much. When did we get so screwed up in our thinking about food that we believe a piece of fruit is bad for us? :(
    +1

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    These posts about fruit worry me so much. When did we get so screwed up in our thinking about food that we believe a piece of fruit is bad for us? :(
    +1

+2
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    +1

+2

+3
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Fruit- contains fiber, vitamins and taste delicious, making it easier not to go and eat all the cake.e
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Fruit- contains fiber, vitamins and taste delicious, making it easier not to go and eat all the cake.e
    I was going to say pretty much the same thing. Fruit is good for us. Eat the fruit.

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    Hi,

even on weight watchers people are discussing whether eating fruit is good or not...I was wondering: is it good to eat fruit as long as i stay in my calories? I love it and I thought it is healthy and keeps me full....what is your experience (of course not the low carb/non carb guys)?
    Absolutely yes, eat fruit! The part of your post that I bolded in the quote is the key - you can eat anything you want that fits into your calories and still lose weight. But as many have already posted, fruit has many many benefits for us, so unless you have an allergy or medical issue to keep from eating it, by all means, eat the fruit! Summer is coming and so many awesome fruits come with it - berries, melons, peaches, plums, grapes - I can't wait!

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit is good and delicious. Don't get carried away though -- a good rule of thumb is to eat more vegetables than fruit.*

*Common sense advice, may or may not be backed by nutrition "science".

• bonesgrrrr
    Options
    I would argue that it depends on the fruit. Two apples a day is equivalent in sugar (mostly fructose) to a soda. Fruit is actually relatively nutrient poor compared to meat, dairy, and vegetables.

http://chriskresser.com/wp-content/uploads/liver-300x220.jpeg
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Sorry to cast a shadow for the fruit enthusiasm.

I'm salicylate sensitive which means I don't use anything related to aspirin or fruits or veg or cleaning products with high levels of salicylate even the synthetic sort, in them. Plants use salicylate among other things to protect themselves from moulds and mildews but to some of us it is a life restricting toxin. For further information see Salicylatesensitivity.com the information part. This might be useful for asthmatics, FM, CFS, and Hypothyroid persons among others.

The most important thing for one's health is to do what proves to be right for you. Anyone who can, go for it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    bonesgrrrr wrote: »
    I would argue that it depends on the fruit. Two apples a day is equivalent in sugar (mostly fructose) to a soda. Fruit is actually relatively nutrient poor compared to meat, dairy, and vegetables.

1. Sugar is not evil 2. Foods are not consumed in a vacuum 3. Anyone can erroneously compare items to show that they are better than something else either by being selective or by comparing nutrients per gram rather than per calorie.

Heck, I will use your same example with a closer calorie comparison:

iqxktxgbty8z.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    bonesgrrrr wrote: »

That is for raw liver. If you cook it, some of those nutrients are destroyed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The fact that eating fruit as good or bad is even debatable is mind-boggling to me.

Eat your fruit...

This.

Sure, if you are eating 50% of your calories from fruit or not getting enough protein or fat or actively replacing veggies with fruit that's not great or even bad, but how common is that?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    +4 to just enjoy your fruit, people!