Minus exercise from calories?

Options
Can someone help me understand this? I just got my jawbone Up24 band and synced with mfp. Since Friday I've noticed that mfp has been deducting more calories from my caloric goal for exercise. Why are they deducting 120 calories one day, and then 160 calories the next? Is this cuz I'm not moving as much? I do log in all my foods...when I eat fast food, I eat less for the whole day to stay under. I just want to understand this whole minus calories thing before I get restarted on PiYo and Turbo Fire today. I want to make sure I am not under eating when I start becoming super active.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There's a setting for having negative calories if you don't move much - you can turn it off. Or just move more - either way.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    Options
    Depends on your MFP activity setting and your belief in Jawbone's accuracy.

Basically MFP asks Jawbone how many calories you've consumed, making the assumption that a whole day tracker will be more accurate than MFP's estimate of the calories you will consume to the end of the day (mfp's estimeate does not account for exercise).

If i were setup as sedentary in MFP, i would not enable negative calories.

Here are a few situations where you may want to consider enabling negative calories:

--you trust Jawbone's estimate of your sedantary non exercise calories more than mfp's and want to stick to their recommendations as opposed to mfp's.

--you have set your activity level in MFP to something other than sedantary and you want to be aware that you haven't quite reached that level of activity so as to eat less that day.
  • jeneveg
    jeneveg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a misfit shine and for the past few days the numbers have gone haywire. I'm recovering from bronchitis so haven't been moving much but on Friday I walked approx 4k steps and was minus 109 Cals today I've walked approx 5k steps and it's showing as minus 255 Cals. I'm wondering if there is syncing issue with trackers and MFP at the moment.
  • Lifereclaiming
    Lifereclaiming Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    jeneveg wrote: »
    I have a misfit shine and for the past few days the numbers have gone haywire. I'm recovering from bronchitis so haven't been moving much but on Friday I walked approx 4k steps and was minus 109 Cals today I've walked approx 5k steps and it's showing as minus 255 Cals. I'm wondering if there is syncing issue with trackers and MFP at the moment.

Same here!!! Since Friday something seems to have changed....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Negative settings enabled and you aren't moving enough to reach your activity level that you set up MFP as

Move more
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any problem with my Flex, but I walked 11k both days this weekend (and am set to Sedentary) so it gave me the approximately 350 calories I usually get when I hit my walking goals.

(I'm set to sedentary just in case I have a lazy day.)