I hate eating out

Options
Because I don't make good decisions. I go into it thinking I will make good decisions and I don't. I had a busy weekend helping friends move (which was a great workout without actually thinking that I was working out). Anyway, we stopped at a Sheetz for a snack and gas. Well I ended up with reduced fat kettle cooked chips and a mozzarella, tomato, and pesto on chibatta sandwich. I was smart and only ate half the sandwich and only 1/2 the snack sized back of chips. But then we got back to their place and they had ordered pizza...and it smelled sooooo good...buffalo chicken and white. So of course, even though I wasn't hungry I ate a 1/2 piece of buffalo and 1/2 piece of white, some fruit salad, and a diet soda. What the heck!? I know that I need to make this a life style change and my will power just gave in. Once I ate the pizza, I was like "oh well, I won't track it in my food diary and I will pretend it never happened." But I obviously can't do that...anyway, needless to say, no change on the scale this week

motivation anyone?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    if you really, truley are making a lifestyle change, you would have been better prepared. Think about it----you say you are making a lifestyle change, but yet you caught yourself at a convenient store buying chips!!!

Never leave the home unprepared. Pack a small insulated sack with foods and snacks so this does not have to happen. You think that is too much work? then you are not ready to commit.

Sorry to sound so harsh--but it is the only thing that has ever worked for me and I have spent a lifetime trying to lose this weight, but now it has finally worked.
  • amyakj
    amyakj Posts: 21
    Options
    If i know we are going anywhere that day that might end up in us stopping somewhere for food. i save up my calories for that. I also will work out a little harder to build up more calories. as long as i stay under my allowed i do not feel bad at all. or after you eat it you could work out a little more to get some calories back.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. I treat myself to a cheat meal once a week. If you know you can maintain that discipline, you'll be alright. Don't beat yourself up if you know that was a one time thing. Just stay on the wagon!
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    Whenever I know I'm going to be eating out somewhere, I hit their website to check out their menu and nutritional info, then preplan what I'm going to eat. I realize this isn't possible if you're talking about hitting up a quickie mart kinda place, but for future events, this is something that really helps me.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead, I also 'save up' calories when I know we will eat out.
    The worst thing is finding some menu item (checking the nutrition info ahead of time) that doesn't have an entire day's worth (or more) of sodium.
    Checking nutrition info beforehand has really been enlightening.
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. I think you did show commitment. Think about it. Before you would have ate the whole sandwich and bag of chips, wouldn't you? And then had at least one or two pieces of pizza. AND you would have felt okay about it because you probably did burn a bunch of calories lifting and carrying, etc. With your new outlook, you did much better. Add up the calories. I bet you will be surprised by what the total is. Now, get at it today and make it a killer day.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree...during the week when I am structured I do wonderfully, but come the weekend or going out....not so good. I too am learning how to just say "no" but it is really hard. I am proud of all the changes I have made so far but I still need to work on the control issue. I am curious to see how other's who have struggled with control (or lack of) get through or have overcome lack of willpower (at least in my case). Great post...this is something I think a lot of people struggle with.
  • lifesabeach2629
    Options
    i agree with luv2ash - plan plan plan! it's so easy to let other people "convince" us (intentionally or not) that it's ok to eat that pizza or whatever it is, but at the end of the day, YOU have to take control of what you put in your mouth! if it seems like a bad idea to eat a certain thing, it probably is. people can so easily influence us and help us to rationalize eating that pizza, but in the back of our minds, we KNOW it's bad for us. just remember no matter how good that pizza tastes, it will NEVER taste as good as meeting your weight loss goal!
  • handsmcgee82
    handsmcgee82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Some days when I have a really good workout I am starved and find myself going over the calorie limit. One thing that I find helpful if you do go out is to look up the restaurant before hand and find a healthy item, the book series "Eat This, Not That" has proven a few words in your order can save you over 1,000 calories a meal.

If you get caught off guard like with the pizza I think that packing a snack would be the best idea, that way you have control over the calories. I used to be able to put down a large pizza by myself on a good day not thinking of what it was doing to me, now that's my first thought. Just think "is this really worth wrecking everything I've done this week or even this month?"

Final thought, I have thought about not logging things as well. But honestly I always end up doing it, in the end you are only lying to yourself. That's why we are all here, right? For ourselves? If you lie then look back as to why you aren't making progress you might get discouraged and quit, when dieting put yourself first always!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it was a one time thing... You can hop back on today and do better.
    I'm going out to lunch with my friend today to a burger joint. Is the healthiest thing for me? No, but I'm trying to make it as healthy as possible and will be hitting the gym later. It's all about moderation and not giving up.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    We all slip every now and then. Just don't beat yourself up about it because the stress will only make you crave more comfort food. Just think I will do better this week and think of ways to keep that from happening again. I never go in a gas station. They are set up to tempt you with all those delicious, unhealthy snacks. I pay at the pump and I am on my way. To many temptations for me. And Thursday, I had choir practice so I order my family pizza, I went walking and just when I got back and was getting ready to head to choir practice it was delivered so hot and fresh and smelled so good. So I eat two slices and then I felt quilty for the rest of the night.:grumble:
  • capemaylover
    capemaylover Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. I think you did show commitment. Think about it. Before you would have ate the whole sandwich and bag of chips, wouldn't you? And then had at least one or two pieces of pizza. AND you would have felt okay about it because you probably did burn a bunch of calories lifting and carrying, etc. With your new outlook, you did much better. Add up the calories. I bet you will be surprised by what the total is. Now, get at it today and make it a killer day.
  • destinationparadise
    Options
    Always be honest about what you eat on your food diary. You don't want to be a sneaky snacker. Sounds to me like you did good with only eating half a peace of each so don't be to hard on yourself. Today is a new day.
  • capemaylover
    Options

Thanks! I did add it up and it wasn't as bad as I thought. And you are right, I would have eaten the whole sandwich before all of this. Matter of fact, I picked up the sandwich to eat the other half and told myself that I didn't need it. Baby steps and a work in progress :). Thanks for the help
  • capemaylover
    Options
    I agree...during the week when I am structured I do wonderfully, but come the weekend or going out....not so good. I too am learning how to just say "no" but it is really hard. I am proud of all the changes I have made so far but I still need to work on the control issue. I am curious to see how other's who have struggled with control (or lack of) get through or have overcome lack of willpower (at least in my case). Great post...this is something I think a lot of people struggle with.

Thanks! and it is nice to know that I am not the only one struggling with this on the weekends. During the week I am great and I actually plan out meals with my fiancee and he is liking it too, but it's the weekend I need to work on. I should think about packing a small snack or making better choices, I meal there were veggies and fruit there too that I could have choosen. Well live and learn right...Thanks for opening up and showing me that I am not the only one
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options

I agree. If you are serious about making a lifestyle change, ask yourself if it's unrealistic for you to never eat pizza or chips again. My guess is it's an unrealistic expectation. Even if it was a slip, slips are going to happen. You're human and I bet this is a drastic change from how you previously ate. I know it is for me :) The old me would have ate the whole sandwich and chips, AND had a piece or two of pizza with full sugared pop. I mean, you could have made 'smarter' choices - like a granola bar instead of the chips-but I really don't think half a bag of chips is a huge deal.

Preplanning if I know I'm going to eat out has saved me a few times, but if you didn't know you'd be eating out or forgot your snacks, do the best you can and eat clean/healthy the next day. Things happen, and stressing about them is only going to make you hold onto any potential weight gain. Stress is the WORST thing for our bodies! From my experience, being too hard on yourself is only going to do more damage in the long run. It sounds like you've taken ownership of what you ate, so be good today and work out to make up for it. It's Monday, a beginning of a new week!
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel I eat too much, I make sure I workout really hard and try to counter the calories I ate with the calories I burn from exercise. Life is full of obstacles and surprises. Just the other day I ate a breakfast that added up to 1,000 calories. I felt really bad so I did 3 separate workout sessions throughout the day. To my surprise, I ended up losing a pound the following morning.
  • Billybobboy
    Billybobboy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I understand the trauma of 'eating out'... at a restaurant, or at a friend's home where there is a mountain of food served buffet style. It is likely that more often than not you will exceed your calorie goals for that day, and while I don't defend or endorse that, it is an element of human nature, and bound to happen.

It need not be an unforgiveable sin. If you immediately return to a disciplined diet and are conscientious about regular exercise, you will, over the long term, continue to lose weight.

HOWEVER.... I'd have to question how serious you are about your weight loss goals... or, at least, hoiw naive you are about how weight loss occurs. It does not occur because you wash down a bag of pork rinds with a diet soda. It does not occur because you ate an entire jar of salted peanuts and washed it down with an Miller Genuine Draught 64 calorie beer.

Snacks at the gas stop?... WRONG. Eating between meals... because you were 'hungry'? Deal with it. You'll live another few hours. eat three healthy meals a day, and refrain from all snacking. The fact that you are uncomfortably hungry is tactile proof that you have allowed yourself to indulge unhealthy impulses in the past.

Your dietary goals likely 'allow' about 1800 calories, or a little less. Go to the "Tools" tab, and then select "BMR", confirm your personal data, and get the calculation. This figure will tell you the minimum number of calories necessary to maintain your body weight if the only thing you did all day long was eat, sleep, and go to the bathroom.... so consuming that number of calories daily, will absolutely result in weight loss if you engage in any meaningful physical activity each day... walking, doing laundry, taking a bath, cutting the grass... whatever. If you are eating the BMR minimum, and moving around, you will lose weight.

You will find that, over time, your body will begin to accept your new daily calorie intake as 'normal'. You will also find that drinking far more water than you have typically been used to... like 8 8-ounce glasses a day, will keep your stomach filled and help combat the desire for something to eat.

Salted snacks are especially to be avoided, as they tend to create a desire for more, rather than satisfy the desire. OK, this won't sound like fun, but carrots and celery are approved snacks. remember, too, that you can totally pig out on most vegetables if they are steamed and not loaded up with salt or sauces.

As for exercising self-restraint away from home? As you fill up your plate, imagine yourself entering each item into your daily food diary as you take each serving. Look at the range of choices before you begin selecting, and go into it having agreed that you are only going to take 4 or 5 items, and in smaller portions, and avoid the bread or rolls, and butter,... and deserts. You can enjoy a good meal, and keep the "damage' to your diet to a minimum.

Meanwhile, recognize that losing weight is not a goal defined by a point in time, but by your daily commitment. Daily. Forever. As you near your goal weight you change your goal weight loss from 2 pounds a week, to 1 1/2, to 1, to a half.... so that the final maintenance diet does not immediately become a daily pig-out on the "extra" 500 calories a day you can suddenly consume, and "it's OK". It's NOT OK.

Look in the mirror if you want to see what is holding you back... and understand that if you are to be successful you will have to accept occasional periods of discomfort.

You'll like the results.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some of you sound like MFP gospel thumpers. Let he/she who has not slipped once, cast the first cauliflower. And eating 3 meals hasn't worked for me in a while. I eat 5 smaller meals. If I want a snack, I reach for 3 cups of watermelon. It's a fat burning food. Google it. Good thing it's in season now. Much cheaper. Anyway, once again, don't beat yourself up over it.
  • capemaylover
    Options
    Wow. Some of you sound like MFP gospel thumpers. Let he/she who has not slipped once, cast the first cauliflower. And eating 3 meals hasn't worked for me in a while. I eat 5 smaller meals. If I want a snack, I reach for 3 cups of watermelon. It's a fat burning food. Google it. Good thing it's in season now. Much cheaper. Anyway, once again, don't beat yourself up over it.

Thank you! Not that I was feeling beaten down, but a little judged. I know it happens and I have fallen off the wagon and gotten back on a number of times and that's ok with me. It was my Monday morning vent session and I appreciate the support Gilbrod!