ATTN: Trim Healthy Mamas: Newbie Seeking Pals, Advice

Options
Generally speaking, I am freshly in pursuit of the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle and I am interested in connecting with other THMs here on MFP. :blush: Secondly, I am curious to learn how veteran THMs have personally overcome the mental hang-up of tossing calorie restrictions out the window in your THM journey (see below post, cross-posted from THM's main Facebook page). Any advice is appreciated!

One of my favorite aspects of THM is how it frees us from the bonds of calorie counting. Yet for those of us who prior to THM have only lost or maintained weight through counting, the mental hang-up remains, old habits and ways of thinking die hard. If I venture outside of a pre-determined set of numbers supposedly tailored to my age, sex, height, and weight, I am fearful of my efforts backfiring. Particularly as I am a foodie and I don't trust myself not to gorge – sometimes it seems I have the stomach capacity of a whale. ;p

To monitor fat and carb counts, I plan to continue logging my meals and snacks at MyFitnessPal at least until I am more learned in the process; however, the website insists I establish a calorie goal, that set of numbers still taints me front and center.

Do any Mamas more or less eyeball calories? To prevent over-eating if nothing else? What calorie goal would I realistically aim for as a 31-year-old, 5'3" female with a medium build and a slow metabolism (an endomorph)?

Replies

• Beachbean77
    Beachbean77 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm a TH-momma!!! Haven't done THM using MFP but would like to. I've been a member of mfp for YEARS!! Only been doing THM since February.
  • natashabusie
    natashabusie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off Trim Healthy Mama for about a year now. I love the benefits when I'm able to stay on plan. I'm finding it's hard to maintain when I'm in and out of the house often. I've had to begin MFP for a class project and just started logging after being away for a long time. As far as tossing calories, I've always had an issue with the higher calorie healthy foods being limited and/or off limits while I was trying to loose the baby weight -avocados, butter, olive oil, nuts....etc. Trim Healthy Mama released me from those restrictions and I find I'm much better able to enjoy eating the foods God provided for us to enjoy without all the guilt and hunger pains.
  • mahopper2008
    mahopper2008 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am just getting started with THM too
  • mahopper2008
    mahopper2008 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There are several Facebook groups. Have you joined those?
  • rucook
    rucook Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been a Trim Healthy Mama since May, 2014. I logged in MFP until January when I did a fuel cycle. Just started logging again this week. Have had tremendous success for a 54 yr old =
    36 pounds so far. Love the freedom of THM. I also use a Fitbit.
  • SaraMcKenzie
    SaraMcKenzie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm newbie to thm two weeks in would love to connect with other thm on mfp
  • lessozinmyboz
    lessozinmyboz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm about a month in on THM, I would love some friends on MFP to aide in support along with the FB pages. TIA!!
  • jessyca864
    jessyca864 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been so intimidated to start! I've read the book, joined almost ever THM fb group and I'm still lerking in the back and reading other post!
  • margot_rivera
    margot_rivera Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to be a THMAma
  • mom2lilmonkeys
    mom2lilmonkeys Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just getting started... would love a few friends who can support each other in this!