Military Diet

Options
coffee_addict13
coffee_addict13 Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know it is just temporary, but has anyone tried it? Im so curious. I really need to lose 60 pounds. Also, I want to have at least 100 friends by the end of the week, so when I feel tempted, I can log it and you guys can yell at me not to eat the pizza

Replies

• pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    What is it suggesting you eat exactly? i work in the military and trust me the soldiers eat LOTS!

Can you not just choose a healthy long term deficit weight loss programme, that is best for you, that doesn't deny you anything, but means you are eating at a deficit, and are able to maintain that change for the rest of your life.
    If there was magic pills, or quick fixes, we would all be skinny!.
    Get some kitchen scales, weigh everything you eat, log it carefully, and be kind to yourself.

Maybe someone who has tried it will be along soon, but i think the advice will be as above to be honest.

Good luck.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    pinkiezoom wrote: »
    What is it suggesting you eat exactly? i work in the military and trust me the soldiers eat LOTS!

I agree with this. I gained 15kg during my 1 year in the army. No starving soldiers lol.
  • pinkiezoom
    Options
    Lol i have been in the cook house with them, and man you boys can pack it away, but you need to!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but I've seen it around. what I'm really curious about is why it's called "military" when it's nothing like a military diet. Personally, I would scoff at ANY diet that claims to help you lose 10 pounds in 1 week, simply because it's not physically possible to lose that much fat and because including water weight loss in the expected loss amount is an obvious and misleading red flag.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The "military diet" is one of the dumbest restriction diets I have ever seen. It involves tuna, banana, hot dogs, and crackers.

You are on MFP, a calorie counting website that teaches you to lose weight eating regular food. Why not harness the full power of MFP instead?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't know where it got its name. It is just a fad diet that has calorie intake between 860 and 1150 calories per day. You would certainly lose weight on that, but I wouldn't recommend it.
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's a very dangerous diet and is in no way affiliated with any branch of military.
    Don't do it. Eat well, be active, easy.
  • pinkiezoom
    Options
    I think the soldiers I work with would start a war if they had to eat so few calories and just bananas, crackers and tuna lol!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

You are on MFP, a calorie counting website that teaches you to lose weight eating regular food.

Including pizza. Hail ya!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    We just had a thread on this in the Food & nutrition board.

Here's the link, if you're interested in more information - I described the actual military diet in detail over there :wink:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31850328#Comment_31850328
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

You are on MFP, a calorie counting website that teaches you to lose weight eating regular food.

Including pizza. Hail ya!
    And peanut butter! :kissing_heart:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't know where it got its name. It is just a fad diet that has calorie intake between 860 and 1150 calories per day. You would certainly lose weight on that, but I wouldn't recommend it.

It's had several names over the years, including the Mayo Clinic Diet (they don't support it) and the Fax Diet (because that's how it was passed around). I'm sure in a few years we will see it again under another name.

ETA: OP if you want a real military diet, here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Military-Surplus-Ready-Meals/dp/B00JFC8VQ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427729136&sr=8-2&keywords=military+surplus+mre
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Is it the one with like hot dogs, cottage cheese and saltine crackers?!
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I know it is just temporary, but has anyone tried it? Im so curious. I really need to lose 60 pounds. Also, I want to have at least 100 friends by the end of the week, so when I feel tempted, I can log it and you guys can yell at me not to eat the pizza

I have done this diet. Twice. First time I lost like 7lbs & the second time I lost around 5-6 pounds. After each time I gained all the weight right back. Don't do it. It's a waste of time. I've doing it the MFP way for several months & have lost 30lbs.