Ladies who lift please - Multigyms?

Options
Dear all inspiring ladies who lift!

I wonder whether any of you use a multigym, and if so - are the results beneficial? I have a multigym and wonder what you ladies tend to do on them (haha I am a real beginner).

Do you have a program that you follow please? All comments would be welcomed.

I am 5ft 3, 152 lbs. Looking to lose weight and tone at the same time. Following 5:2 (Intermittent fasting style) way of eating. I ultimately want to look like those gorgeous toned women that you see in pictures lifting heavy weights in high heels <3

Replies

• MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Ok I can't show you what I mean because I have no idea how to add a picture hahaha!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I think most of us use heavy free weights. I could be wrong. Maybe someone will post their results with this multi-gym thing. If you're in a deficit trying to lose fat, resistance training will help you save muscle so that it can be revealed after you lose the fat ("toning"?). Maybe this thing could help with that as long as you are are following a progressive overload.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Don't lift weights in high heels
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a multi gym is, but I use a Oly barbell/plates with a bench or squat rack, depending on the day.

I started with Stronglifts 5x5 (full body), progressed to 5/3/1 (split), currently doing ICF 5x5 because I wanted to do full body lifting again.
  • arditarose
    Options
    royaldrea wrote: »

+1
  • ew_david
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    royaldrea wrote: »

+1

Oh dear god, I missed that part. Yeah, don't do that.
  • MrsGraves1987
    Options
    Thank you @arditarose - I will wait and see what others say if they have used them. I do hope so as I'd hate for it to go to waste :( and @royaldrea I will not be lifting in heels hahaha I was trying to explain the pictures because I didn't know how to add them :(
  • MrsGraves1987
    Options
    Yes that's the devil!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    We have one. The only part I use is the pulldown bar--for lat pulldowns and tricep extensions.
  • MrsGraves1987
    Options
    Thanks @_dracarys_ I have heard of the Stronglifts programme, but wasn't sure whether this included the gyms or just the barbell? It might work in the same way I'm not sure - but you're pulling down instead of pushing up. It sounds really silly but I wanted to make sure I did it correctly to get the right results :)
  • MrsGraves1987
    Options
    Ahha! Thank you @jemhh Do you follow a specific programme or just created your own? Just wondering where to start with this thing really!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thanks @_dracarys_ I have heard of the Stronglifts programme, but wasn't sure whether this included the gyms or just the barbell? It might work in the same way I'm not sure - but you're pulling down instead of pushing up. It sounds really silly but I wanted to make sure I did it correctly to get the right results :)

For these programs you really need a barbell and free weights.
  • ew_david
    Options

You would probably not be able to do the SL program with the multi gym. There is no substitute for barbell squats and deadlifts. There is also no way to do overhead press or bench press with that either.

That's not to say it's a waste; you'll just have to figure out the best way to utilize it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I follow a program. The majority of it is free weights. I really only use the machine for those two exercises. Usually the machines come with a poster listing all the different exercises you can do. If you want to stick with just using it, you might try the manufacturer's website to see if the poster is on it, if you can't find it at home.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

For these programs you really need a barbell and free weights.

Yep. SL relies heavily on compound lifts, your machine mostly isolates muscle groups.

While it won't work for SL, and workouts may take longer due to having to do more exercises to get a well rounded workout in, as you already have it you can and should use it. At the very least it will get you going.
  • MrsGraves1987
    Options
    Ok guys, thank you so much for all your comments. So if I were to purchase equipment for stronglifts, what would I need? x
  • ew_david
    Options
    Ok guys, thank you so much for all your comments. So if I were to purchase equipment for stronglifts, what would I need? x

olympic barbell, olympic weight plates, squat rack, and a bench.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Do not make eye contact when sitting in the yes/no machine.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

olympic barbell, olympic weight plates, squat rack, and a bench.

(bench not pictured)
    Also I have dumbbells for warming up OHP