Afraid I might have diabetes

Options
I have been monitoring my blood sugar and the lowest it's been all week is 115. It runs about 165 when I wake up each morning. It's generally about 130 two hours after a meal. Sigh. This is not good. I'm feeling really depressed about my health, but am sticking to my goals of walking daily and eating a healthy diet of 1660 cal/day.

Replies

• pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Maybe see your Doc hun, at least it will stop the worrying, and losing weight is meant to help if you are prediabetic, but i am no expert, i would see the doc, and keep on doing what you are doing.
    Good luck x
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    As your weight drops you may see changes, but do check in with your doctor regularly.

I know my insulin resistance drops significantly when I'm eating fewer refined sugars and working on my cardio. Looks like you're on the right path - keep going! <3
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had to convert to Canadian mmol/l units. You are on the high end, but not scary-high.

Metformin might help you bring that down pretty easy, and it also helps with weight control.

My therapist pointed out that you have the same anxiety with the facts, and it will be over a lot sooner once you know for sure.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. Don't self diagnose diabetes. Also, getting a real answer from your doctor will only help you, not harm you. At least you'll know if you should keep going the way you are, or if you need to adjust your plan moving forward.
  • jbranch28
    Options
    I see my doctor every three months and have an appointment coming up. It's just really frustrating that I finally was feeling good about getting things moving in the right direction, but now worrying about this. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    try some strength training. of course, check with your doctor first, to make sure there are no limitations. start slowly to prevent injury. maybe a little yoga to help with the stress level and staying flexible also prevents injury. building a little muscle helps control the blood sugar, and so does lowering your stress. have you seen a dietician?
    the best diabetes book i have read is called 'the first year: a patient-expert walks you through everything you need to learn and do.' it is part of The First Year series, obviously about type 2 diabetes, and written by gretchen becker. be sure to get the second edition (well, maybe there is a 3rd edition by now). you might be able to get it on amazon, or at the library. and i have a great book for prediabetics, but i can't remember the name of it; i may have loaned it to someone. if i can find out the name, i'll let you know.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Exercise reduces your body's insulin resistance (improves glucose uptake by the cells) so keep walking! Read about and learn glycemic index of foods (it also helps to cut out refined carbohydrates - regular flour and anything with sugar, corn syrup etc). Stress reduction.. You have started making lifestyle modifications - one day at a time.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will reduce blood sugar leaves. Exercise also reduces blood sugar levels. :)
    In addition, get enough sleep and learn to handle the stressors that you cannot reduce. <3