Need advice about responding to family and friends!

Options
Hi everyone! First off, I'd like to say how much I love how inviting and fantastic ya'll have been in aiding and motivating me in my life style change. I could not have done this without the mfp community! I do need some advice, though. My friends and family have been huge supporters of me losing weight and eating healthy. They are always commenting on how great I look and how they can notice my huge weight loss. However, I have noticed a couple of comments about how they don't understand why I can eat such "boring" foods (most days I eat baked/grilled chicken and spinach, broccoli or other vegetables for my meals) and still be happy because "life is short and so we should always be eating sweets and foods that we love". When I tell them that I love my new healthy eating habits (even though eating broccoli or chicken all the time can get a little hard), they can't believe that I enjoy eating that way. To them, all I do when eating is see each food as more calories that I'm putting into my body. While I do count every calorie (healthy or unhealthy), I don't feel guilty putting unhealthy foods into mfp because I deserve to treat myself. I know it's difficult for them to understand weight loss and calorie counting because many of them have never gone through it. I want to explain to them that I am very happy eating healthy meals. While I definitely do enjoy unhealthy meals every so often, I do still see those foods as "yummy" and not just as extra calories. They have been so supportive and I know that they don't mean to say these things in a negative way, but I just don't have a good answer to help them understand what it's like. Does any one else see this in their family/friend circles? Weight loss and eating healthy is a life style change that is so much more than most people can comprehend beyond dieting and unless you have gone through it, it's difficult to understand. That's why I love having mfp because ya'll are going through what I'm going through as well!

Replies

• AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For those that are a bit more open to healthier foods, you could try making a meal or a healthier dessert for them. My dad eats the typical southern diet of starchy, deep fried foods and the like. But when I make him lighter dinners, he likes some of those dishes as well.

For those that aren't that open, just tell them that eating healthier can be delicious and focus on telling them how much better the food (and resulting weight loss) makes you feel. For instance, if it gives you more energy or stops you from feeling sluggish, etc.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to explain it the way you did in your post? Because that was pretty explanatory and articulate. :)
  • bettybing1
    bettybing1 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Have you tried to explain it the way you did in your post? Because that was pretty explanatory and articulate. :)
    Totally agree with this.
    You could also say that for you having your version of living to your fullest and doing what you love is looking after your body. You could also say that eating sweets and cake all the time takes the enjoyment out of it somewhat, so restricting how often you have just makes you appreciate them more.
    Plus, I don't know about you, but having my enjoyment in life revolving around only food seems a bit silly.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If its an issue, then the usual way is to talk to them and explain.
    If they dont listen, then smile and brush it off. Its not really worth wasting energy on its your life and you are happy with the results. I dont think they have to embrace your new philosophy though.
  • karen71078
    karen71078 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We have the same menu.. I totally understand where you are coming from ... Sometimes I think they will never understand. Just don't let it discourage you from your journey!
  • DKLI
    DKLI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me but I'd respond that life is short but could be even shorter if I didn't take care of myself.