Why weight train before cardio?

Options
So my question is why are you supposed to do weight training before your cardio? I mean I feel like I can get a lot more weight training in after my cardio is done. I tried it for the first time tonight and Im not to sure if I like it. So what are the benefits of it?

Replies

• sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    Apparently it burns up muscle glycogen so when you do your cardio it burns more fat because the glycogen is depleted in the muscles. I don't know if that is necessarily true, I'd have to do some research, but some people swear it's true.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    The theory is that for general weight loss, you'll be able to lift harder if you do it first, than if you were already somewhat tuckered out by your cardio. That way you'll build more muscle which will help burn calories at rest, and then you can still burn a steady workout's worth while doing your cardio.

That said, if you're training for a distance race or endurance event, you'll want to train your cardio first, because that's your priority. Good luck.
  • Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and need the extra energy to do so, that's why I wait to do cardio after my lifting.
  • mom2jacob
    mom2jacob Posts: 54
    Options
    that makes sense I guess. I mean Im pretty tired after cardio and that's why I always did weight training afterwards bc it helps be cool down some and stretch out more. But if what you guys are saying is true then I will def be doing it more often bc I'm so ready to see the scale drop some : )
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    BaldZach hit the nail on the head.
  • Samstover
    Samstover Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know I'm personally wiped at the end of my cardio so I weight train before hand. I do like the one girls comment about weight training burning glycogen (I think that's right) before cardio so cardio burns more fat. Sounds like it helps burn more fat all around.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The benefits are that you have more energy and can put more effort into the weight training. You can lift more weight for a longer time if you do it when you're fresh, and not when you're already starting to tire. This results in bigger, stronger muscles which help burn more calories when you're doing your cardio. This depends on how serious your weight training is, though. If, like some people, your strength training consists of some bicep curls and shoulder presses with two pound dumbbells, followed by a couple sets of crunches, then you can do it before or after your cardio and it won't really matter. But if you weight train at a moderate to high intensity level, I would definately recommend doing it before cardio.
  • mom2jacob
    mom2jacob Posts: 54
    Options
    i need all the help i can get burning more fat so this will be my new routine..lol
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    BaldZach hit the nail on the head.

Thanks. Love me some validation. :)
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I hear it helps push out lactic acid.
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    idk... i never heard that before i always hear the opposite... do your cardio first & warm up... then bust out the weights... where did you hear that ???

just read what baldzach wrote, since everyone said he nailed it... i guess it's a matter of priority... still i always hit about 15 min cardio first or i'll be too sluggish to want to lift anyway.... but i don't do more than that or i won't have any energy left...
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you're technically supposed to do, but I've always done weights after cardio. My ability to "lift" is much better after I've had an extremely thorough warm-up. If i try to lift right away, then the actual weight I'm lifting is much smaller. Then again, my muscles are built for endurance and not sprints... This is a situation where I think it really does matter what kind of muscles you have. Fast twitch muscles are common in sprinters and people who look 'shredded'. Look at a distance swimmer and look at a swimmer who sprints... they're both very fit, but the body difference is a big one. Also, when I swam, the sprinters lifted before the pool workout and the distance team lifted after the swim. JMO...
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Apparently it burns up muscle glycogen so when you do your cardio it burns more fat because the glycogen is depleted in the muscles. I don't know if that is necessarily true, I'd have to do some research, but some people swear it's true.
    This was taught in my university kinesiology class.
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    lol I know, I'm studying nutrition and that's what we learned. The reason I'm not saying that is exactly what is is, is because you're not supposed to go in with "cold" muscles. So which is it? I'll stick with my method of a 15 minute warm up and then lifting and then capping it off with more cardio. It has been good to me :)
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Im no expert, but i enjoy it more, and probably do more if I do weights before cardio.

I used to do it after cardio and kind of looked forward to it as my resting period, when it shouldnt be rest!

I can now work harder at the weights, plus im warmed up for the cardio after them.

I cant tell you if its anymore effective than doing after, but i can feel the benefit as im wroking ahrder on the weights before hand. If that makes sense!
  • Steveeee
    Steveeee Posts: 62
    Options
    I've cut out this problem completely by only 'training' full body strength workouts. Then there is no contest which to do first!
  • tidwelljw
    tidwelljw Posts: 146
    Options
    The general guideline that is suggested if you plan to do cardio and intense weight trainning in the same day is at least 45 mins rest after cardio before you lift. Now, with that being said, unless you have lots of free time that is very difficult to do. with jobs, kids, and other responsibilities I know that I don't have to time to do that. It all really depends on what you goal is. Keep this in mind, you can't accomplish two goals at the same time. If you are trying to build muscle, then your focus should be on light cardio and heavy intense workouts, or vice versa. If you do too much cardio you run the risk of breaking down muscle to fuel the body. I typically do cycles where I go a week at a time with more focus on cardio and then have to drop down on my weights when I lift. The next week I will cut the cardio back to the minimum of 15 to 20 mins and that still lets me burn calories but doesn't wear me out. Which ever way you decide to go I reccomend doing cardio first because after lifting your body needs more rest since it has a prolonged burn rather than a temporary one like with cardio.

GOOD LUCK.....AND STAY WITH IT!!!!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    The general guideline that is suggested if you plan to do cardio and intense weight trainning in the same day is at least 45 mins rest after cardio before you lift. Now, with that being said, unless you have lots of free time that is very difficult to do. with jobs, kids, and other responsibilities I know that I don't have to time to do that. It all really depends on what you goal is. Keep this in mind, you can't accomplish two goals at the same time. If you are trying to build muscle, then your focus should be on light cardio and heavy intense workouts, or vice versa. If you do too much cardio you run the risk of breaking down muscle to fuel the body. I typically do cycles where I go a week at a time with more focus on cardio and then have to drop down on my weights when I lift. The next week I will cut the cardio back to the minimum of 15 to 20 mins and that still lets me burn calories but doesn't wear me out. Which ever way you decide to go I reccomend doing cardio first because after lifting your body needs more rest since it has a prolonged burn rather than a temporary one like with cardio.

GOOD LUCK.....AND STAY WITH IT!!!!
    I agree with most of this post but why would you need 45 minutes rest after doing cardio before doing strength training? Unless you are refueling this makes no sense to me.

You should never do any activity without warming up first. When it comes to lifting it's like others have said...it's based on your goals. You should always warm up first (ie. jog on the treadmill for 10 minutes) before lifting. If your focus is fat loss or long distance events then cardio first. If your primary goal is to increase muscle mass/strength then do your strength training first (after warming up).
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    idk... i never heard that before i always hear the opposite... do your cardio first & warm up... then bust out the weights... where did you hear that ???

just read what baldzach wrote, since everyone said he nailed it... i guess it's a matter of priority... still i always hit about 15 min cardio first or i'll be too sluggish to want to lift anyway.... but i don't do more than that or i won't have any energy left...

It's only a matter of preference if you don't want to maximize your results.

It's a well know fact that you want your best effort to go into resistance training to get the best results. Building more muscle burns more calories and since muslce is denser (is that a word) than fat if you trade 5 lbs of fat for 5 lbs of muscle you will look thinner.
    Once you've given all you got on the resistance workout and depleted all your stored glycogen your cardio will be fueled by your fat stores. Yeah, that's what I want....burn more fat...bye bye yucky fat.