18mo/3mo update...63lbs/20lbs (pics)

McCloud33
McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
So it's been a total of 18 months since this whole weight loss process really started for me. I changed jobs and started biking to work in October of 2013. I was 31, 5'-8" and 235lbs. I dropped approximately 12 lbs just by eating at home everyday for lunch (since I was now only a 3 min bike ride away) and biking to and from work. In January I set out to get down to 185 by my birthday at the end of May. I found MFP, started logging food and got back to running 3-4 times a week putting in 10-20 miles. In March I joined a gym, but didn't really know what I was doing so I went from machine to machine and did the circuit for a couple of months. I made my "goal" of 185 around mid-May and was ecstatic with the results. I had dropped 50 lbs in 8 months and was the lightest I had been in over a decade.

In June I found the Stronglifts 5x5 program through all of the recommendations here on MFP. I had never lifted weights in my life...not really. I had gone through p90x a few years back, but the heaviest weights I had/used were 10lb dumbbells and resistance bands. I didn't quite start with the bar for all the lifts, but I was close. My starting #s were 60lb squat, 135lb bench, 175lb deadlift, 85lb OH press and 85lb row. I went through the first 12 weeks of this on a maintenance/slight deficit diet and finished with 1RM's of 365# squat, 235# bench and #385lb deadlift at a body weight of about 182-183. I went through another 12 week cycle, but this time on a calorie surplus and broke into the "1000# club" with a 405# squat, 245# bench and 405# deadlift. I had also gotten back up to 192lbs.

I didn't want to break 200lb body weight again as I had worked so hard to get down under that, so starting in January I went back on a calorie restriction with a goal of 160lbs by May this time. 3 months are gone now and I'm down 20lbs. I'm still lifting trying to keep as much muscle as I can and look forward to bulking again come June to start putting on some more muscle, but I took my 3mo pictures this weekend and wanted to share with everyone. So here they are...6gdsscyrzkdp.jpg
kj3lr02j6ozn.jpg
r04qoxq55mmk.jpg
theymr5six93.jpg

These are 192lbs to 172 lbs

34mi2v1b7ze9.jpg

And here's my whole journey to date.

Let me know what you think, ask questions...I'm pretty much an open book.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    this is great! congratulations on all your hard work!
  • boxfish100
    boxfish100 Posts: 172 Member
    Fantastic progress and results
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Yay tumblr_m1ki1ecD3b1qzx33j.gif
  • cds_momto3
    cds_momto3 Posts: 316 Member
    Congrats!! Great transformation!
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Congratulations on a job well done!!!!
    I'm doing Stronglifts myself since last July. Are you doing any accessory lifts other than Stronglifts????
  • McCloud33
    @danelutza19 I was doing weighted pull-ups at the end of the "B" workouts until I was starting to run out of time. I go early in the morning before work and so I'm limited to an hour. Gym opens at 6am and I have to be out by 7 so that I can get home and shower and get to work by 7:30. I'll also do some sit-ups and push-ups sometimes if I'm at home and just sitting and watch TV. I'll alternate them during commercials.
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Well done!
  • ameirah20
    ameirah20 Posts: 49 Member
    amazeballs!
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    AMAZING results...

What are you thoughts about Stronglifts 5x5....? do you suggest it?? What has it done for you, more muscle, more strength, more fat loss of all of the above lol?
  • McCloud33
    @giannigreco83 I can't speak highly enough of it. Like I had said, I wasn't a weight room guy mostly because I had misconceptions about it . As far as what it's done for me, mostly just strength at fat loss as I've been on a deficit 90% of the time that I've been on it. You're not going to gain muscle while on a deficit. I look forward to June through December of this year though, because I plan on doing my first true "bulk" with excess calories and SL5x5 to see how much muscle I can build.

The biggest thing it's done for me though is confidence. It's hard not to be confident when you just lifted more weight than you've ever lifted and more that 90% of people would even attempt.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    @giannigreco83 I can't speak highly enough of it. Like I had said, I wasn't a weight room guy mostly because I had misconceptions about it . As far as what it's done for me, mostly just strength at fat loss as I've been on a deficit 90% of the time that I've been on it. You're not going to gain muscle while on a deficit. I look forward to June through December of this year though, because I plan on doing my first true "bulk" with excess calories and SL5x5 to see how much muscle I can build.

The biggest thing it's done for me though is confidence. It's hard not to be confident when you just lifted more weight than you've ever lifted and more that 90% of people would even attempt.

thank you very much for your answer.....so you kept going with the 3 exercises per workout that the app gives you right? or did you add any exercise?

I am starting Stronglifts today and yes I am in a deficit as I am right in the middle of my weight loss journey yet...

• wackyncrazy1
    wackyncrazy1 Posts: 56 Member
    you look amazing what an awesome job.
  • McCloud33
    @giannigreco83 yep, I did a little bit of accessory work early on when the weight was light, but as it got heavier I dropped that and just stuck with the 3 exercises a day.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Awesome progress!! Great long-term dedication.
  • rscunu
    rscunu Posts: 37 Member
    Wow, congrats on your awesome success!
    I'm super excited to have just moved closer to work, and I'm planning on buying a bike with my tax returns :smile: I will be biking too and from work which is just over 3 miles. There are some awesome trails near me too at a state park.
    You're very inspirational! Thank you for sharing.
  • ros2will3run
    ros2will3run Posts: 104 Member
    Great..! Thanks for posting!
  • sjvacca
    sjvacca Posts: 1 Member
    Awesome, thanks for the encouragement
  • McCloud33
    @rscunu, 6 miles a day will do wonders for you. It doesn't seam like that much, but those calories add up quick. That's going to be close to 500 calories a day which will give you 1lb loss a week if you eat at maintenance without adding that back in.
  • McCloud33
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Yay tumblr_m1ki1ecD3b1qzx33j.gif

Thanks for all the encouraging messages
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    @danelutza19 I was doing weighted pull-ups at the end of the "B" workouts until I was starting to run out of time. I go early in the morning before work and so I'm limited to an hour. Gym opens at 6am and I have to be out by 7 so that I can get home and shower and get to work by 7:30. I'll also do some sit-ups and push-ups sometimes if I'm at home and just sitting and watch TV. I'll alternate them during commercials.

Thanks for your prompt response!!!
    Glad we're on the same page. When those weights get heavy you don't have any room for accessory lifts. I really like how well developed your body is, I am happy to hear you didn't have to add much to the original workout to get such results!!!
    Job well done!!!
    Enjoy the summer and have fun with the bulk!!!
    Let us know how it's working and when you hit new PR's!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!