Healthy, low-calorie food recipe THAT TASTES GOOD???

Options
ugh okay, I've been finding it kind of hard to find healthy foods/recipes with low calories that I can eat that actually taste good. I really like sweet things like cookies and cake, but I'm no longer eating any of that stuff because of how fattening it is. Can someone please help?? (preferably any kind of recipe below 900 calories)

Replies

• Kailyn6393
    Kailyn6393 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have such a sweet tooth but have been able to satisfy myself with smoothies, typically I do a dessert yogurt, danen makes 80 cal ones like strawberry cheesecake and banana cream, add a 1/3 cup for frozen berries, water,ice and blend in my bullet.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Oh there are tons of recipes!

Do you own a crockpot? One of my favorite things is to toss in a few chicken breasts with a packet of taco seasoning (I go with the low-sodium ones) and a jar of salsa. Cook on low for about 6 hours and shred with forks. Serve on a tortilla or some rice.

I am also a huge fan of making stir frys. I can cram in an insane amount of veggies with lean beef, shrimp or chicken. My sauce usually consists of beef stock, Tamari soy sauce and some grated ginger that I let reduce.

I've also been using 90/10, 96/4 or ground turkey, chicken or bison in place of higher-fat ground beef. For example, I'll use a pound of ground turkey when making chili.

Oh, and lots of fish. I'll take a firm white-fish and rub it with ground coriander, cumin, garlic and onion powder. Pan fry in a bit of olive oil and serve with an avocado/orange/pineapple salsa.

Hope these ideas helped a bit :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The lowest calorie is water, which is zero. If you are OK with artificial sweeteners, you can add Mio to your water or Stevia to your coffee or tea. Instant zero calorie sweet fix.

Sugar isn't fattening. Eating too many calories in a day is fattening. If sweet is your thing, you can include it as long as you watch your portions. You may have to break out shot glasses and tablespoons, but it can be done.

Popcorn by itself is very low calorie for high volume, and candy corn relatively speaking can take care of a sweet fix with higher volume. Measure first.

You may also want to try the caramel rice cakes if you are seeking low calorie high volume sweet fix.

For cake, angel food cake is light and a little higher in protein. Maybe pair it with an all-fruit jam and some Greek Yogurt sweetened with Stevia.
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Take a look at www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com

She has loads of amazing recipes, including single-serving cakes and cookies. She describes most of her recipes as "healthy", although I disagree with that claim, the recipes ARE really delicious, many of them low-calorie and very low on refined sugars and flours. I can personally vouch for her deep-dish cinnamon roll pie, veggie stroganoff, tofu frosting, as well as her cosmic brownies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Caramel Popcorn, 4 cups, 28g, 122 calories.
    One caramel rice cake, 13g, 50 calories.
    Angel food cake, 1/12 of a cake (about 1 oz), 72 calories. 1 Tablespoon Smucker's strawberry fruit spread, 70 calories, 170g of nonfat greek yogurt, 100 calories. Total, 240 calories.
  • everypoundeveryflaw
    Options
    tofu frosting
    ??^
  • everypoundeveryflaw
    Options
    thank you so much guys! I will definitely have to try some of these.