Newbie and nervous

hi

Just to say hi, I'm new to my fitness pal and calorie counting, tried just about everything else. Really quite nervous.

Started couch to 5k yesterday, made me realise just how unfit I am

Replies

• Kailyn6393
    Kailyn6393 Posts: 6 Member
    Don't be nervous! The key is to stay consistent! Don't starve yourself and don't deny yourself treats once in a while! :-) feel free to add me
  • jade281
    jade281 Posts: 4
    Thanks, I think it's more the cooking meals and feeling restricted. Weight is hard work. Thanks for your comment
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Welcome to MyFitnessPal!
    No need to be nervous (although, I'm positive everybody gets nervous when making a big new life change.. even a fantastic one like this!!).. Stay consistent and enjoy the transformation into a healthy a rewarding life!

Give this 110% and you'll get the very same right back out!

Wishing you all the very best,
    Adam
  • davefh0_0
    davefh0_0 Posts: 42 Member
    feel free to add me, the support system helps me
  • sjrutherf
    sjrutherf Posts: 27 Member
    Good luck! I found that counting calories is the best thing I could do after trying a lot of other things. There are no foods that are 'off limits' as long as they are within your calories, so I feel a lot less like I am depriving myself. It is also helpful because if I want a dessert at the end of the day and don't have quite enough calories for it, I know that I can burn calories to be able to eat the dessert. It makes it less restrictive, so you don't have to be constantly beating yourself up! It works wonders for me. I have only been doing it less than a month (21 days I believe) and I have already lost 8 pounds. You can do it!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Hey! Don't worry too much, it's all a learning process to find out what works for you and your lifestyle. Small changes add up and you will gradually start to add or change more and more. Feel free to add me
  • franklin505
    franklin505 Posts: 31 Member
    Hi

The more you use MFP the easier it gets, the adding recipe bit is good, once you have added a meal it is easy to add it next time. For me I have learnt to make netter choices now. It is not all hard work it can be fun and the support on MFP is very good.
    Feel free to add me as a friend and well done for making the first step.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Welcome and congratulations on beginning the journey! You'll find tons of helpful people here.

Sometimes joining/starting a new program can be quite overwhelming. Remember that it's a journey, and an adventure and just like it may have taken you a while to gain weight, it's going to take a while to lose it. Weight loss isn't linear and you'll have good days as well as bad.

Also, congrats on the couch to 5k! When I first started that program, it was a struggle even running for the minute. But it gets easier... I promise :)

Counting calories can be a bit daunting... I found getting a food scale really helped me stay on track and to be able to log correctly. I also like to pre-log my meals for the day which has helped me see what (if anything) I have left for room for.

Feel free to add me :) And good luck!!!!
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Hey, no worries. I'm 44 days in. When I first started, I felt out of shape as well. I believe I was walking only 10 minutes at day. Baby steps it took for me. For the food, it took me an entire month to figure out what works and how my body works. I try to eat as much fresh foods and make healthy choices but I also enjoy sinfully delicious foods. Weigh everything, log everything, and enjoy yourself.