Huge calorie difference.

Options
Brsmfp1
Brsmfp1 Posts: 5 Member
I have mfp telling me I should be eating around 1580 calories a day and Scooby's site telling me 2066. I am 235, 5'6, and working out 3 times this week around 45 minutes each for my first week. I'm confused and don't know which one to go with.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    MFP assumes you'll eat back exercise calories. Scoobys already factored them in. So you work out for 45 minutes add those calories to the 1580 MFP gave you and you've narrowed that gap quite a bit. Go with whichever one works best for you. Personally I hate trying to figure out exercise calories and trying to hit a moving target so I go with the one that includes exercise calories.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    MFP tells you your calories without exercise. i.e. any exercise you do, MFP will add the calories to your daily goal.

Scooby is using a number based on how much exercise you claim you will do. So any exercise is already calculated in, and you would not eat more on the days you exercise.
    (so, many people log their workouts in MFP, but then change the calories earned to '1')
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Whichever method you choose is your preference.
    If you exercise regularly, you may like the extra calories Scooby gives you every day. If your exercise schedule is questionable (ie. some weeks you just don't make it), then use the MFP method, and earn your extra snacks.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP just includes activity level....you have to log exercise after you do it and those calories get added back. This is great if you don't trust yourself to do the work.

Also, MFP bases your goal on I want to lose XX pounds per week.....let's say 500 for 1 pound. Your Scooby number was likely a percentage.
  • dmartins2002
    dmartins2002 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    how do you change the settings so that your workouts are not included in your daily?
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    My personal experience, when I keep it down to the original MFP estimated calories and do not eat back much exercise calories, I lose weight at approximately the expected rate.
    how do you change the settings so that your workouts are not included in your daily?

If I use the MFP calculator and state I am entirely sedentary, it does not increase the estimate for any exercise. When I log 300 kcal of exercise, the MFP process then says I am allowed 1900 kcal that day. I don't think there is a way to change that automatic addition.

I do not use a fitness tracker device so I can't say how well the setting works "Enable Negative Adjustements".

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I prefer the MFP method because its an incentive to go and do the work rather than take credit for something I havent yet done. Whichever one suits you though.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Either don't log it or log it as 1 or 2 calories.
  • Brsmfp1
    Options
    thank you for the responses. I am now seeing more information as I read group post. This is my first day logging.
  • Brsmfp1
    Options
    I don't like the mfp way. I don't have hrm at the moment. I'm sure I will be fine, estimating activity and trying to eat in a deficit
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I prefer the MFP method because its an incentive to go and do the work rather than take credit for something I havent yet done. Whichever one suits you though.

I also prefer the MPF. I like seeing everything logged out separately. I usually log before I eat, but if I overeat my allotted number of calories, I am aware. then, I might just do 30 min treadmill at the end of the day or work harder the next. I am on a fairly aggressive plan, so my workouts really help justify eating a bit extra.