Need tips/motivation

Options
Hey everyone. I have always been a hard gainer and just recently started working out and using this app to make sure I meet my calories. I'm new to bulking or working out in general so please add me for motivation (no friends co workers or family works out) and maybe some tips. Thanks! -name is Calvin

Replies

• danomitex
    danomitex Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Stay at a caloric surplus (you're already on the right track by using My Fitness Pal) + adequate amount of protein + adequate amount of sleep + weight lift. All you need in order to gain muscle mass.

Don't expect results overnight. Keep with it and you will get there.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? TDEE (or maintenance level in calories)? What type of workout plan are you following? Bodyweight, height, body fat %, etc. Need to lay out a basic amount of info if you want others to help with advice.

For starters, find your TDEE. Amount of calories it takes you to maintain your current weight given that your activity level is constant (ie: your workout isn't going to change intensity). Once you find that, add 500 calories/day. Macro nutrients depend on your goals but for starters I would use:
    - 1 - 1.3g's of protein per lb of Lean Body Mass;
    - ~.4g's of fat per lb of bodyweight, and;
    - fill the rest in with carbohydrates.

Good luck!
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    You are on the right path now. In the gym, tracking cals (and hopefully eating more, especially protein). Find a good lifting program that pushes you (personally, I try for a new personal record every workout on all lifts). I've used Shortcut to Size (from Jim Stoppani) for two bulks and I like it. Are you in a gym and/or have access to a variety of equipment?

Both lifting and eating more sucks for the first few weeks (DOMS and feeling full), but both get better after a while.
  • CHDuggin
    CHDuggin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I found some programs on bodyspace app but it's easier to do it and not keep track of it. I was benching 185 (only weigh 150) then slacked off a couple weeks and last night wore out only at 170ish. Those aren't max though since I don't have a spotter. I do have a fairly good gym where I work at with several varieties of equipment and a lot of dumbells.

And yeah it's my 3rd day of counting calories and I did good the first two but now I still have 1k left and I'm stuffed. I have always been a healthy eater though.

• CHDuggin
    Options
    I just now saw all these replies. Thanks for the responses!

I have my calorie goal set at 3100 right now. From what I have read that should be about right. I am an active person at work but it's not really burning a lot. I'm on my feet all day waking but don't exactly break a sweat. I looked into macros some but figures I need to just be eating a lot first before getting into macros or is this wrong.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Well.. without getting into the nitty-gritty, just make sure you are getting enough protein. Most people say enough is 1g/lb of lean mass. Personally, I do 1.5g/lb which puts my goal at about 220 a day. You just want to make sure you have enough calories and protein to support muscle growth.
  • CHDuggin
    Options
    Alrighty. Thanks!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!