Weight training questions

Hello, I have recently started going to the gym and noticed that people weight train for hours.

I have a routine where I can complete in about 30 minutes. Am I not getting the most out of weight training? I feel it for a few days later.

Example workout
Leg extensions altering sets with Leg curls
Inner and outer legs (altering sets)
Leg press/squat (whatever open) alternating with calf raises.

All are 3 sets of 8-10 reps each.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    What are your goals?

BTW, there is no reason to be in the gym, lifting weights, for hours unless you’re an elite athlete doing specific training for an event. For the rest of us, 30 - 90 minutes is more than enough time, depending on your goals and fitness level.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a program that you can do in 30-45 mins a day, 3 days a week and get perfectly good results. The people training for hours, maybe they're competitive bodybuilders?
  • bjelen55
    bjelen55 Posts: 4
    My goals are to loss weight and ton up. I'd like to do about 30 lbs in 3-4 months. Going to gym 3-4 days a week doing weights then about 10-15 Cardio.
    What are your goals?

BTW, there is no reason to be in the gym, lifting weights, for hours unless you’re an elite athlete doing specific training for an event. For the rest of us, 30 - 90 minutes is more than enough time, depending on your goals and fitness level.

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    edited March 2015
    My longest routine is about 40 minutes not including a couple ab things and some stretching at the end. I go early before work, so I have to keep it under an hour, which works fine for my fitness goals. I used to do 5x5, but switched things up a few months ago and now do more of an upper/lower body split on alternating days.

I notice on days off and weekends that some ppl are there in the weight area a long time. Not all of them appear to be elite athletes, but I also see them visiting, etc for long periods, so they could probably do their thing in less time if they stayed focused. I'm sure there are a few bodybuilders, etc in the long work-out bunch, but not most of them
  • bjelen55
    bjelen55 Posts: 4
    Thanks all!!!! I was jw if I'm not getting the full potential but without bsing with people and just doing my thing it's reassuring to hear I'm not under doing it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    bjelen55 wrote: »
    My goals are to loss weight and ton up. I'd like to do about 30 lbs in 3-4 months. Going to gym 3-4 days a week doing weights then about 10-15 Cardio.
    What are your goals?

Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Eat a little more than your body needs and you’ll burn fat, but make sure you’re getting good nutrition with the things you are eating (protein, fat, carbs, minerals and vitamins).

If you’re wanting to retain muscle, then I’d recommend doing a program with progressive, compound movements. Machines have their place, but I’d go to free weights. Look up strong lifts.
  • giesregen
    giesregen Posts: 2 Member
    20-30 minutes of high intensity training (Google search HIT training) twice a week is what you need. I subscribed to lifting 6 days a week years ago, and have made better gains and injury avoidance using HIT philosophies. Many pro and college athletic programs use HIT as well. Don't waste your time. Get in, focus, work hard, get out.