Needing help with strength training

Okay I am new to the gym, and well the session that I had with the Personal Trainer at Life Time Fitness was a complete sale pitch.

When strength training what muscle group should be worked together. Do I work arms and chest, back and abs, legs and ?

Someone please help. Life Time Fitness is not cheap and I want to make sure that I am getting everything from the gym that I am can. I am not paying $90 an hour for a personal trainer either.

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Check out a full-body/compound routine. StrongLifts 5x5 is a good one, and it's free. Stringlifts.com
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    bodybuilding.com has a plethora of programs. I've been cycling them every 3-4 month or so for the past year and have no complaints; just make sure you pick one that is at your skill level.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Look into strong lifts. It is a 5x5 full body program that uses compound movements. Efficient, effective, and when done with good form and pushing yourself, you’ll get the results you want.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5 has the power, the wonder-working power.

Seriously, try it. Don't let the simplicity or the fact that it's FREE be a turn off.
  • giesregen
    giesregen Posts: 2 Member
    Google HIT training (high intensity). Shorter more intense workouts. Many pro and college athletic programs use HIT. I've been training since the mid '90s using HIT methods with good results.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    +1 for Stronglifts. Books like Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting are good resources too, even if you don't do the programs.